Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

WOW! Poonther and jpl... I've never read two comments on here that I agree with so much.

I do have plans to go to the city with the idea of a new website for the airport... I'd like to see something along the lines of flytallahassee.com with a very attractive picture of the airport. To date I've yet to see a picture of it that meets my approval. I know I'm picky, but I'm not that difficult to please.

I was prepared 2-3 weeks ago to make my comments to the city commission when the StarMetro Crew did their thing... I felt that wasn't a good night to present any new ideas to the commission who had already been bombarded with all sorts of information that night.

I've still got my comments, but I plan to modify them, addressing the additional concerns such as development surrounding the airport, the importance of a StarMetro route to the airport on a regular basis (which I think is being faught by the taxi companies) and the possibility of placing a natural buffer between the waste facility and the road (for obvious reasons).

I'd also like to try to do a draft of an airport website just for conceptual purposes... I'll base my model on the Pensacola Website, or possibly the Lincoln Nebraska Website... I think they have a nice one.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments everyone. And Poonther thanks for that good research on the Pensacola comparisons.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? There are 3 directs to PBI and returns back to TLH daily? We fly to PBI often and find that it's cheaper to fly directly to there than go through ATL and it only takes an hour. There are also 4 directs to and from FLL (Lauderdale) daily.

When I was looking for flights for march 2006, there were no direct flights to west palm. Of course I was using Orbitz. I will check again later on the Delta website.

Hey TJ as good as you are at taking pix, seems like you could take a great pix of the airport for the webpage and that one should meet your approval. :D

I think you were right in not going b4 the commission w/your ideas the same night as the Taltran/StarMetro change over. Just wondering if b4 you go to the commission, if you should first run your idea by the head of the airport? Get his approval or whatever that way when you approach the commission they won't try and stall by saying they'll run it past the head guy out at the airport.....just a thought.

I like the Lincoln webpage too. I like that both Lincoln and PNS you can check the status of your flight via the webpage and I like on the PNS site that they show in a graphic where you can fly to directly via PNS.

Thanks for the kudos on my comparison of TLH to PNS. Even if I'd not typed it up, I would have done that in my head....I'm a stats type geek. Thank goodness I'm a fast typer.

Let me know if I can assist you in anyway when you go b4 the commission. I'd be happy to help you out behind the scenes if you need it.

And yeah DaiDreamer5 next time you fly home, check out delta.com and see if you can get home directly from TLH. Will save you tons of time.

Hey TJ as good as you are at taking pix, seems like you could take a great pix of the airport for the webpage and that one should meet your approval. :D

I think you were right in not going b4 the commission w/your ideas the same night as the Taltran/StarMetro change over. Just wondering if b4 you go to the commission, if you should first run your idea by the head of the airport? Get his approval or whatever that way when you approach the commission they won't try and stall by saying they'll run it past the head guy out at the airport.....just a thought.

I like the Lincoln webpage too. I like that both Lincoln and PNS you can check the status of your flight via the webpage and I like on the PNS site that they show in a graphic where you can fly to directly via PNS.

Thanks for the kudos on my comparison of TLH to PNS. Even if I'd not typed it up, I would have done that in my head....I'm a stats type geek. Thank goodness I'm a fast typer.

Let me know if I can assist you in anyway when you go b4 the commission. I'd be happy to help you out behind the scenes if you need it.

And yeah DaiDreamer5 next time you fly home, check out delta.com and see if you can get home directly from TLH. Will save you tons of time.

I check Delta.com and still no direct flight between Tallahassee and PBI. Perhaps they cut the flight when they ran AirTran out of town.

My dates were: Mar 2 - Mar 9 TLH to PBI

Edited to add. If I want to fly tommorrow, there is a direct flight, but it seems that starting Dec 1st, the only way to fly from Tallahassee to West Palm Beach is to go visit Atlanta first.

Perhaps this had something to do with it? http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/13276674.htm

Ah man DaiDreamer5 you are right. We are losing the PBI direct flights come December 1st. I apologize for giving you the wrong info. I just called the TLH airport directly (I hate to deal w/the Delta 1-800 number because that call center is in India and a question like this one would blow their minds) anyway the lady at the airport said yes, we are losing PBI, Cincy and JFK directs mainly because of Delta's financial problems. That stinks big time!

We'll still have directs to FLL if that will help you avoid ATL in March. Sorry again for giving you bad information.

Ah man DaiDreamer5 you are right. We are losing the PBI direct flights come December 1st. I apologize for giving you the wrong info. I just called the TLH airport directly (I hate to deal w/the Delta 1-800 number because that call center is in India and a question like this one would blow their minds) anyway the lady at the airport said yes, we are losing PBI, Cincy and JFK directs mainly because of Delta's financial problems. That stinks big time!

We'll still have directs to FLL if that will help you avoid ATL in March. Sorry again for giving you bad information.

It's okay. It took a while with monkeying with Delta's website to figure this out. My dad doesn't like Fort Lauderdale airport and won't pick me up from there (my grandmother use to fly into there because the flights were cheaper from Atlanta long ago).

Probably going to end up taking the bus. It's cheaper.

Mass transit is great any way you can get it. I think I want to fly out to New York before the route is removed... I've got $100 credit with Delta that I need to use before the end of December and $300 in hotel stay (Marriott) that I got from HP when I purchased this computer (although there are tons of loops with that).

I remember the days of AirTran, when they initally entered the Tallahassee market I took several of the $89.00 round trip flights to Miami. We really need to get them back.

Mass transit is great any way you can get it. I think I want to fly out to New York before the route is removed... I've got $100 credit with Delta that I need to use before the end of December and $300 in hotel stay (Marriott) that I got from HP when I purchased this computer (although there are tons of loops with that).

I remember the days of AirTran, when they initally entered the Tallahassee market I took several of the $89.00 round trip flights to Miami. We really need to get them back.

hmm, i think we are getting screwed. we need another airline,

Yes I agree we need another airline..........fast! But we need another airline that Tally will USE and SUPPORT.

That's what happened to AirTran IMO. AirTran came with low fares, then Delta's "highway robbery" fares dropped that day to meet AirTran prices. Then all those longtime Tally folks just said "well it's nice to see AirTran, but first it's a discount airline and I don't want discount service" (which of course you guys know was asinine because I found AirTran service to be the same as Delta.) Then they'd say "Since Delta has the same price as Airtran and I've always flown Delta and so has my Diddy and my Granddiddy, so I'm just gonna stick w/them." And then of course you know what happened.......AirTran wasn't used enough, they left and Delta's prices jumped right back to where they were prior to AirTran's arrival and all those provencal types that refused to use AirTran are back to complaining about high prices.

And yes I really did hear several comments like I stated above.

Now if Wallymart ran an airline, they'd jump on it like hogs to a feedin' trough!

Regarding AirTran, I can't help but wonder if people's perceptions on the airline in Tallahassee affected it's business.......in as far as AirTran formerly being ValuJet, and the whole crash thing that happened 10 years ago.

I've flown AirTran only once (sadly) out of TLH.....found it friendlier than Delta with comparable service. The company is making money......which shows it's doing SOMETHING right obviously! I don't care to fly bankrupt airlines (U.S. Airways, Delta, Untied..err...United, etc).

• 3 weeks later...

Where was that to TJ, if don't mind me asking. That's a great price considering that tickets everywhere have gone up.

Hopefully getting a company like Turbocor and some other private companies will also increase traffic and demand for airline travel in Tally. That's why I think it's wise to invest in companies like them, you can reap the benefits in many forms.

I still think the airport needs a stand alone cool website. You should present your ideas after the first of the year TJ. Also feel free to "steal my bolding" I just think it helps draw the attention of the one you are talking to.

And oh yeah, TallyDowntown you sure are being a considerate, energetic and polite poster these days, keep up the good work bud.

^LOL! Thats what I say!

I'll definately continue to bold names as necessary now that I have the blessing of the originator.

I'm definately going to use this break to send out e-mails and draft a presentation for the first commission meeting of the new year. You're absolutely right, the airport needs a stand alone website with a easy to remember address.

yes. we need the website to be updated regularly, and not be so cheesy, i mean take a look around at other cities we are reinventing tallahassee, a new transit system, a new downtown, a better hairport. New INTERSTATE PIMPOSICTY

Archived