Bellemeade Village

cityboi

Here is a sneak peek of the development that is being planned north of Greensboro's new downtown ballpark. Sorry for the poor qaulity picture. The new renderings havent officially been released and this photo was briefly shown at a Greensboro zoning meeting on tv. BTW the zoning commission approved the rezoning of the land that will become Bellemeade Village so we should see construction begin on the first phases soon. The buildings in Bellemeade Village will be a cluster of a number of mid-rise buildings between 5 and 6 stories tall. Most will have commercial space on the first floor with residential condos and apartments on the upper floor. Parking will be beneath the buildings and the project will include retail and restaurants. This project will be similar to Gateway Village in uptown Charlotte. Its very likely that the buildings in the rendering below will be very similar in size and scale to what will over look left field of the ballpark. The total number of units will be around 300 so it will be the largest single residential development, in terms of the number of units, in downtown Greensboro's history. Some 3 story townhomes could also be included. later phases of Bellemeade Village will include a grocery store and a mid-rise boutique hotel is even proposed. They hotel may even overlook the field at the ballpark as well.

Ive also noticed that someone has purchased the web address for www.bellemeadevillage.com. The website is not developed but it looks like they are getting prepared to get this project rolling:) These mid-rise buildings will make an excellent base for Greensboro's skyline when looking at it from the Wendover Ave bridge 2 miles northwest of downtown. It looks like residential projects in downtown Greensboro are getting taller and taller.

The Boulevard Company of Charlotte, which also built Gateway Village in Charlotte will be building Bellemeade Village. bellville.jpg

downtown has had a number of residential projects such as Governor's Court condos, Smother Place Lofts Condos, Southside and now Bellemeade Village. Residential is booming in downtown Greensboro and there are more residential preojects planned such a proposed development by the Boulevard Company call 411 Washington. That will be a 4-story condo building on the southwest end of downtown. There is also an un-named mid-rise condo project proposed on South Elm Steet near Smothers Place Lofts. Then there is the redevelopment site at South Elm and Lee Streets which will have alot of residential. There are plans to convert the old 16-story Wachovia building into a residential tower with a restaurant on the first floor and office space on the second and third floors.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news. I was able to see a game at the new ballpark in dt Greensboro last week. It is a great setting for taking in a game! Projects like this filling in around the stadium will make it even better, presenting options for things to do before and after games right outside the gates.

Wow! I love what I'm seeing in that rendering. When exactly was it shown on TV? Adding a few mid-rise buildings will really help the skyline.

I'm also really happy to see that a good company is developing it. I was afraid it was a pie in the sky proposal at first, but I'm starting to think it's gonna happen. One thing though, the Boulevard Company is also developing 411 West Washington, but I don't know if(when?) they've broken ground on that yet.

It came on tonight on channel 13. They should have a repeat showing o fthe meeting but I dont know when. It looks alot clearer on tv then the posted picture. Basically I used my digital camera and took a picture of the tv screen so the photo is grainy.

You are right DCB. While these arent 12 to 20 story residential projects, they aqre mid-rises that will help make Greensboro's skyline more dense. A great skyline not only has alot of tall high-rise but alot of mid-rises as well. I am just amazed at the boldness of all the projects

• 2 months later...

I found these at the DGI website. I don't think they've been posted yet.

bv28xy.jpg

bv19xl.jpg

bv39kd.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I really like this so far. It also looks like they're going to use brick and not fake stucco. An article in The Triad Business Journal said they would start marketing the first units within the month.

I'm sorry, and I know I'll get a lot of grief for saying this, but I find this project to be exceedingly banal. Don't get me wrong, from an urbanistic perspective, the planning of the housing in conjunction with the new baseball stadium is a good move, I just don't see why that thinking stops at the doorstep of architecture. I find the West End Village project and the One West Fourth St building in Winston-Salem similarly bland. It's reflective of bad postmodernism from the 80s. Why is it that it is so difficult to get architecture (rather than just another building that looks like everything else) built in North Carolina (and, for that matter most of the US)? There is so much potential in architecture and I think it's a shame that it is rarely realized.

The only seemingly bright spots in the commissioning of architecture are in parts of Europe (eg. Barcelona, Copenhagen, London, Basel, etc.) and Asia and occassionally in a few of the larger cities in America like NY, Chicago, LA, etc. I'm not asking Greensboro or Winston-Salem to try to be comparable to NY or Copenhagen, I'm just asking for the level of cultural sophistication vis-a-vis architecture be elevated in NC and the US.

^ i understand what your saying...in a way. i also think that one west fourth is a little bland in some of the design elements. The front is okay but the design kinda falls off on the sides and especially the back. The Summit is also sort of boring and so is Reserach facility One...nice height but too much red brick. However, I do have to disagree about West End Village. I think this is the first project to really bring a new architecture style to downtown.

well, this particular project could be a lot worse. i agree that there is very little exciting architecture going on in america. Boston is experiencing some pretty mediocre architecture right now too. i don't know what it will take to snap developers out of this, but i hope something changes.

well, this particular project could be a lot worse. i agree that there is very little exciting architecture going on in america. Boston is experiencing some pretty mediocre architecture right now too. i don't know what it will take to snap developers out of this, but i hope something changes.

You're right about Boston. It's probably the most provincial of the large Northeastern cities. I especially dislike the new tower near the Prudential Building - I think it has been dubbed the "artichoke." As far as exciting architecture goes, of the architecture that is being constructed in America, very little of it is exciting, but at the same time, most of the best architecture schools in the world are in the US. Columbia, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Yale, Cooper Union, the University of Virginia, Berkeley, UCLA, SciArc, University of Michigan, et al are on all of the lists of the the best schools in the world. The alumni, students and professors at these institutions and others are producing very interesting projects, yet clients are too timid to let most of these designers realize their potential. And, while it's ultimately the client's money that is paying for the project, a little risk and adventure can pay off as evidenced by everything from the great cathedrals of Europe to the Brooklyn Bridge and the development of the skyscrape to the work of the great Modernists such as Mies, Le Corbusier, Kahn, etc.

There's no reason why a little bit of this thinking can't be extended to Greensboro and Winston-Salem (not to mention Charlotte, Raleigh, etc)...

^ i understand what your saying...in a way. i also think that one west fourth is a little bland in some of the design elements. The front is okay but the design kinda falls off on the sides and especially the back. The Summit is also sort of boring and so is Reserach facility One...nice height but too much red brick. However, I do have to disagree about West End Village. I think this is the first project to really bring a new architecture style to downtown.

I'll grant that West End Village is a little bit better than Bellemeade, but the difference is marginal at best.

I propose we issue moratorium on the use of brick. Let's just take it off the table as a material choice. I think the yield from that simple experiment would be great for the state of architecture in Winston-Salem.

These are great!

I'm not sure if its fair to say West End Village will be better than Bellemeade Village. The rendering above is only just the first phase and there will be more buildings including townhomes and a hotel. Both are very similar developments though. DGI actually used Gateway Village and other urban developments in Washington DC as a model for Bellemeade Village. The only difference is that Bellemeade Village is connected to a baseball stadium. Bellemeade Village will also have a hotel. Its interesting because there have been no new hotel construction downtown in more than 2 decades. Now things are looking up. A hotel chain is also looking to build a hotel on the opposite end of downtown on South Elm Street near Smothers Place Lofts.

• 2 months later...

These are great!

I'm not sure if its fair to say West End Village will be better than Bellemeade Village. The rendering above is only just the first phase and there will be more buildings including townhomes and a hotel. Both are very similar developments though. DGI actually used Gateway Village and other urban developments in Washington DC as a model for Bellemeade Village. The only difference is that Bellemeade Village is connected to a baseball stadium. Bellemeade Village will also have a hotel. Its interesting because there have been no new hotel construction downtown in more than 2 decades. Now things are looking up. A hotel chain is also looking to build a hotel on the opposite end of downtown on South Elm Street near Smothers Place Lofts.

This article was in the News & Record yesterday. The Bellemeade backers had a "preview party" to give anyone interested more specifics on the new project. Did anyone happen to go?

News & Record Article

No I didnt. But if you go to the Boulevard Company website, Bellemeade Village is in the coming soon section. They dont list info yet, just a rendering of the first building which is a new rendering I havnt seen before. I cant wait til we see more renderings and diagrams and I cant wait til we see the hotel in the development. That could be a highrise maybe

This article was in the News & Record yesterday. The Bellemeade backers had a "preview party" to give anyone interested more specifics on the new project. Did anyone happen to go?

News & Record Article

BTW I noticed a new bar is open next to the Ballpark on the corner of Edgeworth and Smith Street. Its called "Left Field Tavern" and its located right across the street from where the first building of Bellemeade Village is being built.

• 4 weeks later...

looks like another rendering of one of the buildings. This is just part of phase 1. The village will be located adjacent to First Horizon Ballpark and will include a hotel and supermarket in the later phases. Once all phases are complete the village will have over 300 condos, townhomes, apartments and live-work units.

BV.jpg

condominium price for this building in phase 1 Start at $239,000 to $365,000. Some of the units will even have 4 bath rooms.

BV1.jpg

BV2.jpg

BV3.jpg

bv28xy.jpg

That was actually the idea, to make Bellemeade Village have sort of a DC or Philadelphia feel. The Boulevard Company typically builds those kind of developments. West End Village is being developed by Boulevard Centro. If i'm not mistaken, West End Village will have a 10-story building so it too will have an urban atmosphere.

That was actually the idea, to make Bellemeade Village have sort of a DC or Philadelphia feel. The Boulevard Company typically builds those kind of developments. West End Village is being developed by Boulevard Centro. If i'm not mistaken, West End Village will have a 10-story building so it too will have an urban atmosphere.

You are correct, but see that 10+ story building will "stick out" from all the rest. The rest of the buildings in the development are about 4 storys or so. There in G'boro everything transitions smoothly so it gives you more of an urban fell rather than a "sprung on you" last minute development without any thought taken into building.

Archived