Eddystone Hotel to see $8.1M redevelopment

Allan

Not that I disagree with the idea we need diversity in design. But Chicago and New York and many other major cities have more years experience in creating urban designs. The entire concept is comparatively new in Detroit so to expect us start projects mimicking cities far ahead the curve is unrealistic.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But see, that's where I disagree. It's not the city that is inexperienced, it's the companies/individuals behind these developments. There's no rule saying we can't copy the designs of other buildings in other cities. All it takes is a few people with some good ideas to change things that are going up in the city. There's no reason why Detroit shouldn't be ready for urban concepts. We aren't building 18 story 1920's style apartment building here. We are constructing two to three story rowhomes that offer the opportunity to create a design that is authentic.

We're already seeing the exact thing your taking about in Ellington. It's only one project ,but it's radical change for any of the new contruction we've seen in the city. What'd really I like to see is the companies with most experience in working in the city those that focus most historic rehab branch out in new contruction. I think with their appreciation of urban areas they would be able to create better designs than a developer with a mostly suburban focus.

I think there's one more thing that NY, Chicago, and Boston have that nobody has mentioned - a full-fledged mass transit system. Not that some of these developments couldn't be better in spite of the lack, but I wonder how much of a difference we'd see with these project if some kind of rail was available.

If viable mass-transit was even and option in Metro Detroit, we'd see better architecture, and with fewer projects having to have a parking ramp almost as large as the building next to it. It would make a HUGE difference in everything from physical design to site planning.

• 2 weeks later...

This link was provided by Detroitman on DetroitYes; this to me is the perfect example of the kind of brownstones I would love to see built around the Eddystone and Harborlight buildings:

http://www.thegriggsgroup.net/BROWNSTONES.html

They're currently being constructed at the Woodward/Eight mile border. I'd seen it quite often while riding past but never really looked into it. I'm pleasantly surprised and glad to see these going up.

WS

Detroit_Luveur,

Can you give a link like this for that aerial photo.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image...erndale%7cmi%7c

I'm having some kind of brain fart, and I can't place that aerial. I thought it was in the same area as my link, but I can't find it.

And yeah, those are great rowhouses. I noticed that they are set back about as much as a house in developed in that area. If something like this was built in the Cass Corridor, it should be built right on the sidewalk, with maybe a tiny little garden in front. I'm also curious if they are built completely out of brick, or if they are covered with brick vaneer on all sides. The pictures look like the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived