Birmingham International Airport

Blazer85

Here are some of the planned expansion/development projects for BHM INTL:

Runway 6/24 Expansion

The Airport Authority is currently implementing a $43 million plan to add 2,000 feet to the east-west runway. Construction crews are in the process of removing obstacles in the runway extension including fiber optic lines, natural gas and electrical lines. Once the obstruction removal is completed at the end of 2005, paving of the additional 2,000 feet of runway will begin.

Once completed, the 12,000-foot runway will accommodate a fully loaded and fully fueled 747 cargo aircraft taking off on a non stop overseas flight. The expanded runway will place Birmingham in a better position to expand air service to overseas destinations and provide air cargo services to the region's growing automotive manufacturing sector. The fully-extended runway is expected to be completed and operational at the end of 2006.

Air Cargo Expansion

As the need for additional air cargo facilities continue to increase, expansion of the original cargo site that currently includes a 50,000 sq. ft., eight-bay building with a 275,000 sq. ft. aircraft apron, will be more than doubled in the forthcoming development. Site development plans include a 400,000 sq. ft. apron and taxiway addition, plus an expanded bridge over Village Creek to support commercial cargo aircraft and new entrance roadway.

When completed at the end of 2005, the 675,000 sq. ft. total expanded apron site will accommodate a mix of commercial aircraft -- far exceeding the number of aircraft that can be parked at the current site. An additional 50,000 sq. ft. storage building is planned, but may also be built to suit.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 Passenger Traffic Info for BHM INTL

From Jan 1, 2005- June 1, 2005:

-Passenger Traffic YTD: 1,241,351*

-Monthly Average: 248,270

-Projected Year Total Passenger Traffic: 2,979,242**

----------------------------------------------------

* Up 9.85% from 2004.

** Assuming the current monthly average is maintained.

Edited by Blazer85

Does BIA have any international passenger flights currently? If they do, then I would be very surprised, noting the proximity to Hartsfield-Atlanta. Being so close to airports such as BIA and Nashville have prevented Huntsville from getting non-stop flights farther than Dallas and New York. The same probably happens for Birmingham, but seeing that the airport there has twice as many passengers that Huntsville does YTD, they are probably able to have flights to cities like LA and Seattle. But I wouldn't know, I fly out of Nashville :D .

I know there is a height limit on downtown buildings because of the flight path over downtown to a certain runway at the Bham airport. Is this the runway that is being extended?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but as technology has advanced, that need to keep the buildings below a certain height is becoming more flexible. The additional runway length is being added to the east end of the runway (the end furthest from downtown). The only part of downtown that is in the way of the flight path of the airport is on the BJCC side. South of there, the buildings pose little to no interference.

Does BIA have any international passenger flights currently? If they do, then I would be very surprised, noting the proximity to Hartsfield-Atlanta. Being so close to airports such as BIA and Nashville have prevented Huntsville from getting non-stop flights farther than Dallas and New York. The same probably happens for Birmingham, but seeing that the airport there has twice as many passengers that Huntsville does YTD, they are probably able to have flights to cities like LA and Seattle. But I wouldn't know, I fly out of Nashville
Edited by Blazer85

Birmingham currently only has one international flight to my knowledge, and that's to Montreal, Canada.  Some of our longest domestic flights right now include: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Buffalo, Boston, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Oakland, Phoenix, Harlingen (just north of Brownsville), El Paso, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The flight to Montreal is not a nonstop. It's same plane service and stops in another city. The international custom functions are handled at the city of exit and entry, not Birmingham.

Maybe not... our problem is that our airport runway isnt long enough for a fully loaded 747 to land and take off. That's what it would take to get a plane to most international destinations. That's part of the expansion plan to bring it up to 12,000ft which will be longer than many other airport runways in the southeast. Here's an excerpt from the BHM INTL website which indicates why it carries the INTL designation.

In 1993, as Birmingham marked the completion of a $50.4 million terminal renovation, flights were up to 77 departures per day, serving nearly 2.1 million passengers that year. Direct service was added to destinations in Mexico and Canada and on October 20, 1993 the name was officially changed to Birmingham International Airport.
Edited by Blazer85

We're also planning a 25-story Westin Grand Bohemian downtown and another 20-30+ story hotel near the BJCC. We've had alot of restoration projects of historic buildings, but now it looks like there's increasing interest in new skyscrapers for the city.

Rumor has it that Birmingham has now given the FAA a tower proposal of about 675-700ft (excluding spire height). It is expected to be a mixed-use facility (hotel, office, boutique, etc) and an expected completion date of 2007.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you hear this information and where would it be located downtown. This would be incredible, but in some ways I would like to see several 20 story buildings built than one gigantic building.

A source of mine that works in real estate in BHM is where I heard of it.

As far as several 20+ story buildings... sounds like some of those may be on the way too :D. There is the Westin Grand Bohemian proposed (25-stories) and several other hotels around the BJCC that would be in the 25-35 story range. I also have just recently heard that there's some proposed building of 27-stories that is closer to becoming a reality than any of these others that we've heard about. So there could be 2-3 or even more 20+ story buildings on the horizon outside of this 45-story proposal.

The site has not yet been decided, but several sites are being considered and the FAA will no doubt have some to say about that.

Blazer I hope your source is accurate. This really is great news for Birmingham, It makes sense though. You have all this condo conversion, restoration going on, the demand for downtown living has been unbelievable. These units sell out before they even start construction. The new constructed buildings are just now starting to gain pace, combined with that kind of demand the sky is the limit. The next five years will be condos and hotels. All over Birmingham sites are being developed. Homewood's University Park, is an entire mixed use village right across form Samford. The old Mountain Brook Inn will be demolished and replaced with a 15 story + condo tower. Brookwood Mall will expand and take over the brunos strip center, Condo and office and hotel towers will be added. And for downtown with all the available land and buildings for sale this will growth will be even more evident downtown. After you get a base of people downtown tthe commercial and office space will follow. As for the hotels I know the one at The Summit will likely be very high-end and wil be at least 12 stories. Downtown's hotel sizes might depend more on the Dome.

Blazer I hope your source is accurate. This really is great news for Birmingham, It makes sense though. You have all this condo conversion, restoration going on, the demand for downtown living has been unbelievable. These units sell out before they even start construction. The new constructed buildings are just now starting to gain pace, combined with that kind of demand the sky is the limit. The next five years will be condos and hotels. All over Birmingham sites are being developed. Homewood's University Park, is an entire mixed use village right across form Samford. The old Mountain Brook Inn will be demolished and replaced with a 15 story + condo tower. Brookwood Mall will expand and take over the brunos strip center, Condo and office and hotel towers will be added.  And for downtown with all the available land and buildings for sale this will growth will be even more evident downtown. After you get a base of people downtown tthe commercial and office space will follow. As for the hotels I know the one at The Summit will likely be very high-end and wil be at least 12 stories. Downtown's hotel sizes might depend more on the Dome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get this information. A long time ago I knew that Brookwood was going to extend all the way to Vincents Market but I have not heard anything since the original renovation. My friends dad is the man in charge of that whole development for Colonial and I have not heard him say anything, but I have not talked to him about it in awhile. I also have heard that talks about what to do with the Mtn. Brook Inn stalled due to the fact that the property is on the line b/w Mtn. Brook and Homewood. I also have not seen any renderings on the new Summit hotel but I hope it is atleast 12 stories, that would be awesome. I also was wondering if you had any info on University Park. I have heard it be referenced several times but have not seen any renderings or really any details on the whole thing. I though Homewood was going to develop that site into soccer fields?

All this info is really awesome, I hope it all pans out.

It's been awhile, I think last year Daniel Corp, thats who owns the Mountain Brook Inn reached an agreement to share the property between the cities of homewood and Mountain Brook. . It passed rather quickly because the buyers of the condos would likely not have students in their school systems. I've found these development companies are very hush-hush about there properties, till thay put them on the market. A tower wll be built though, I think their trying to work out what else to put with it, also if they can cut an additional road though to homewood, without getting on 280. As for Brookwood mall, the expansion is speculative, although I see an them adding a department store, Nordstrom. The guys at Colonial said earlier this year to the bham news that they had big plans for the site, condos, hotel, office. Its really a no brainer. You have a hot, new, streetscape lifestyle center located in some of he highest income demographics in alabama. The old run-down Brunos is a waste of space and has way to big of a parking lot, not including all that crap behind it. The land is worth too much. Where there's money to be made somebody will make it.

^ I know it's a pain to ask, but do you have a link to that Bham News article about Brookwood adding condos or hotels and the like? I must have had my head in the sand when this came out :lol: ... it's not that I dont believe you. I really do just miss some of these development projects sometimes. I typically know more of the ones downtown and on the north side of the city.

Blazer couldn't find the past bham news article, it's too old I couldn't pull it up. I get most my info off al.com , but here is an old site that talks about brookwood.

http://retailtrafficmag.com/mag/retail_tur...hams_brookwood/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I did. I graduated in 2004 and I now go to Auburn. What year did you graduate?