Birmingham International Airport

Blazer85

Quick question: How feasible would it be for Birmingham to pursue the construction of a new, state-of-the-art (isn't everything these days?) airport with post 9-11 security measures (and all that jazz) in hopes of attracting international flights and "spillover" traffic from Hartsfield in order to become a major airport destination? Points in favor of such a project: The city is relatively close to Hartsfield, has a major Southwest Airline presence, and would have great accessiblity (assuming it's built near I-22, I-65, and the northern beltline. Counterpoints are the obvious: Costs, location... the usual.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: How feasible would it be for Birmingham to pursue the construction of a new, state-of-the-art (isn't everything these days?) airport with post 9-11 security measures (and all that jazz) in hopes of attracting international flights and "spillover" traffic from Hartsfield in order to become a major airport destination? Points in favor of such a project: The city is relatively close to Hartsfield, has a major Southwest Airline presence, and would have great accessiblity (assuming it's built near I-22, I-65, and the northern beltline. Counterpoints are the obvious: Costs, location... the usual.

I, personally, would hate to see a new airport built, but I would like to see some sort of link between Atlanta and Birmingham, be it a high-speed train or what not. I remember this idea coming up in discussions a long time ago, but of course, it never came to fruition.

One thing I do love about Birmingham, is being able to get to the airport in 10-15 mins tops. That's rare these days. I HATED driving to DIA when I lived in Denver.

Quick question: How feasible would it be for Birmingham to pursue the construction of a new, state-of-the-art (isn't everything these days?) airport with post 9-11 security measures (and all that jazz) in hopes of attracting international flights and "spillover" traffic from Hartsfield in order to become a major airport destination?

hmmm....does anyone else think this is an idea? it sounds verrrry appealing and sensible to me - but i know not one thing about the air travel business. would major carriers bite? and wouldn't it take the majors' participation if the goal is to accommodate spillover traffic? not sure about the international flights angle, but again - i know zero.

Bham Bound, I think that's a great idea. But, here is why it most likely will not happen.

1.) Too close to Atlanta, (the spill over idea is just wishful thinking for the most part). Airlines will not invest that type of money on markets like that here in the US. Just not happening.

2.) O&D numbers are too low for most airlines @ BHM. Without sufficent traffic originating and departing @ BHM, flight numbers will remain relatively low. Southwest only has around 20 flights a day from BHM, and most of those are to their Focus Cities. Their Focus Cities average anywhere from 90-200 flights a day.

3.) Proximity to downtown will play a huge part in the expansion plans for BHM in the future. Only way to expand the airport a great deal is to build brand new.

Outside of that, who knows. But having ATL so close does affect traffic at BHM greatly.

• 4 weeks later...

ExpressJet is bringing to new flight destinations to Birmingham Intl. Actually, one is a return to a former destination that we had pre-Katrina... New Orleans. The other will be to Raleigh, NC. Both will be Non-Stop flights. Tickets will go on sale beginning Monday.

ExpressJet will become just the 8th different carrier to have service out of Birmingham.

Edited by Blazer85

• 1 month later...

Delta's regional carrier, SkyWest, will begin offering daily non-stop flights from Birmingham to Salt Lake City starting June 7th of this year.

This should be a successful flight. Their flight from Nashville to Salt Lake went mainline back this past winter and it is a HUGE success. I would expect no less from Birmingham IMO. Lots of good connection possiblities out there and no need to fool with ATL!!

I think the Salt Lake City flight will be pretty successful. First of all, there's a reasonable Morman population here who, I'm sure, would make use of the convenience of this flight. It also provides a western US gateway to international destinations for those that might not want to go through LAX or something.

Has anyone heard anything new on the $160+M terminal expansion? Or the runway expansion?

I believe the runway extension to 12,000ft is now complete... or certainly near completion. Not sure it's been certified by the FAA yet, however. Anyone hearing anything?

The only thing I can't figure of the love of everything is why BHM isn't having higher levels of growth in the number of passengers annually. Austin-Bergstrom has only been opened 10 years as of this year, and they even have 2x as many passengers annually as BHM. The killing thing is Austin-Bergstrom serves a much smaller demographic market area (DMA). If we suppose to be the cheaper alternative to Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson then we should be seeing more passengers annually along the lines of 4.5-5 million.

The only thing I can't figure of the love of everything is why BHM isn't having higher levels of growth in the number of passengers annually. Austin-Bergstrom has only been opened 10 years as of this year, and they even have 2x as many passengers annually as BHM. The killing thing is Austin-Bergstrom serves a much smaller demographic market area (DMA). If we suppose to be the cheaper alternative to Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson then we should be seeing more passengers annually along the lines of 4.5-5 million.

Have you been to Austin?

several possibilities, it's the Capital of Texas, The University of Texas, a large high tech base. May not answer the question but it's a neat place with horrible traffic.

The runway and terminal expansion should help Birmingham increase in passenger numbers somewhat. Birmingham appears to have been harder hit by the post 9-11 air travel slump as well as the loss of a fairly busy flight for us (BHM to New Orleans). All signs point to us rebounding from both, however. I think the New Orleans flight was either just recently restarted or will be soon. We also add a couple new flights in the next few months. Personally, once the runway expansion is complete, I'd like to see Birmingham try to lure some Central America and South American flights... maybe a few more international flights to some bigger European cities (London, Paris, Madrid, etc).

Have you been to Austin?

several possibilities, it's the Capital of Texas, The University of Texas, a large high tech base. May not answer the question but it's a neat place with horrible traffic.

Yes, I have been to Austin and understand their situation. However, it also has to compete with San Antonio for most things also since they are only 80 miles apart.

However, Birmingham is at least 200 miles in either direction from another comparable major city airport, but yet doesn't have as many passengers. It beckons the question what needs to be done to improve our competitiveness with neighboring cities airports. 3 million isn't nothing, but compared to MSY, BNA, MEM, we should be at least in the 4.5-5 million passenger range.

The runway and terminal expansion should help Birmingham increase in passenger numbers somewhat. Birmingham appears to have been harder hit by the post 9-11 air travel slump as well as the loss of a fairly busy flight for us (BHM to New Orleans). All signs point to us rebounding from both, however. I think the New Orleans flight was either just recently restarted or will be soon. We also add a couple new flights in the next few months. Personally, once the runway expansion is complete, I'd like to see Birmingham try to lure some Central America and South American flights... maybe a few more international flights to some bigger European cities (London, Paris, Madrid, etc).

I'm hoping we do add continuous add many more domestic flights to other cities and finally start to add actual international flights to European and some Southeast Asia cities as well. It seems kinda strange for us to have Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai here in Alabama, but no domestic flight connections to none these corporations' home countries.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have been to Austin and understand their situation. However, it also has to compete with San Antonio for most things also since they are only 80 miles apart.

However, Birmingham is at least 200 miles in either direction from another comparable major city airport, but yet doesn't have as many passengers. It beckons the question what needs to be done to improve our competitiveness with neighboring cities airports. 3 million isn't nothing, but compared to MSY, BNA, MEM, we should be at least in the 4.5-5 million passenger range.

Nashville is a Southern "Hub" or "Focus City" (as they like to call them) for Southwest Airlines and minor "Focus City" for American Airlines still to this day. Those two together contribute alot to the traffic flow at Nashville's airport. That's just part of the equation, but it is the most obvious reasons why there is more here than in BHM. MEM is a hub for Northwest so they have more traffic because of that. As for the 4-5 million range of passengers per year, I agree. But take a look at Louisville, they are right on par with BHM for passenger count, and they are roughly the same size as you guys with a fortress hub just up the road in Cincy.

I think "The Ham" will be fine and still see consistant and steady growth. Especially once Express Jet gets going down there. But the city has go to become more of a destination much like Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and Charlotte have become for business', convention goers, and vacation destinationist. Granted, in our case up here the music industry keeps our city on the radar for more people than most think, but you still have a strong convention business here and professional sports to add to the "luster". Those in and of themselves are big draws just from a uniquness point of view for out of towners. Once that arena gets built and the adjacent entertainment area is finished, things should start to trend upward just a bit for you guys. Having Atlanta, and all it's connection possibilities, that close still puts a hurtin' on the local air travellers regardless.

Edited by Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

The Birmingham Airport Authority has announced a tentative date of July 5 for a ceremony dedicating the 2,000ft runway expansion. At 12,000ft, the main runway at Birmingham International will be capable of serving some of the largest airplanes in the skies today.

The Birmingham Airport Authority has announced a tentative date of July 5 for a ceremony dedicating the 2,000ft runway expansion. At 12,000ft, the main runway at Birmingham International will be capable of serving some of the largest airplanes in the skies today.

Well, I guess, Huntsville won't be the only airport in the state to handle major cargo traffic anymore. Lol, oh well, it's for the better. The cities are far enough apart that it'll help both areas.

" A few more"? I'd love to see at least one as Birmingham currently has no international nonstop flights. Go Birmingham! :thumbsup:

I don't know about whether they're nonstop or not, but I know in Birmingham's history, we've had several flights to Mexico and to Canada. Nothing over the Atlantic or Pacific, but Birmingham has offered flights to international destinations direct.

I don't know about whether they're nonstop or not, but I know in Birmingham's history, we've had several flights to Mexico and to Canada. Nothing over the Atlantic or Pacific, but Birmingham has offered flights to international destinations direct.

It'll probably be a while before Alabama gets any cross Atlantic flights. One of the major airports would have to be granted hub status probably before any trans atlantic flights were started. Birmingham is just too far inland with to little traffic at the moment for any airline to consider a major flight like that. They all just assume that we don't mind driving to Atlanta. Which is uterly, and completely untrue.

Well I think ultimately, some carriers may begin to slowly move more and more flights away from Atlanta. I know they gain a good bit by having their airlines fly out of Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, but they also probably lose a fair bit because of delays and other problems associated with an overcrowded airport. I don't think Birmingham's airport will ever overtake Atlanta's, but I definitely believe Birmingham will begin to get more and more of their air traffic as Atlanta's is just far too busy and congested (clearly... as it's #1 in the world for air passenger traffic).

Birmingham won't have hundreds of international flights or anything like that any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of flights added to Asia in the coming years. With Hyundai in Montgomery, Honda just east of Birmingham, the Toyota plant just over the MS line, and the planned Isuzu plant in Birmingham, that's alot of incentive to provide serivce to those executives and corporate folks in those companies. I also believe Birmingham might have a good future as a destination gateway to Central and South America by virtue of our geographic position.

Again, not a huge hub airport by any means, but I can definitely see a handful of flights to Asia, Central and South America, and Europe being added over the next few years.