Birmingham International Airport

Blazer85

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it does!

Did the actual terminal cost that much!? Only joking. Does Birmingham have discount carriers like AirTran or JetBlue?

It seems that I may have seen AirTran come through BHM before, but I know JetBlue doesnt at the current time. BHM INTL will likely see *significant* increases in flights and carriers once the airport upgrades are complete.

Wow... September stats are out and Sept 2005 numbers are about a 17% increase from Sept 2004. :shok:

2005 Passenger Traffic Info for BHM INTL

-------------------------------------------------------------

From Jan 1, 2005- Oct 1, 2005:

-Passenger Traffic YTD: 2,321,955

-Monthly Average: 257,955

-Projected Year Total Passenger Traffic: 3,095,940*

-------------------------------------------------------------

*Assuming the current monthly average is maintained.

Edited by Blazer85

WOW! Those are good. One month in Birmingham Airport sees 3 Months of Tallahassee Airport Traffic. Good work!

BHM INTL handles quite a large number of passengers. Not on the level of an Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, or such, but a large number nonetheless. I believe BHM INTL handles more passengers annually than all other Alabama airports combined.

Edited by Blazer85

• 1 month later...

-The Birmingham Airport Authority has voted in favor of constructing a new concourse (Concourse A). Concourse C will remain as is for national domestic flights, but Concourse B will be reformatted to serve as a docking site for regional jets. Concourse A will be constructed to accomodate 747s and, thus, international flights. There will also be significant work done so that once through the security checkpoint, you can get to all 3 concourses without having to go back through security. More retail/restaurants are expected to be added as well. Price tag expected to be about $30M.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-Birmingham Intl Airport managers approved architect designs for renovating the Birmingham Airport. We will be growing from 19 to 25 gates, as well as getting a true international departure gate designed for handling 747s.

Here's a picture of the Birmingham Intl Airport complex from a distance.

original.jpg

Photo by Randy Sandford

Edited by Blazer85

• 3 months later...

A billion-dollar baby in economic impact

Here's something to make you smile Blazer85, Birmingham International Airport celebrates its 75th birthday. The airport now counts at least 3 million passengers annually, the first time since 9/11, in 2005. It is also being posed to be grow even more with the expension of the longest runway and terminal renovation/improvements.

I have a feeling BIA will be serving more than 5 million passengers annually before the end of this decade. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leonard23

Yeah... I read that the other day. I cant wait until the runway expansion and new concourse is built. Then maybe Birmingham will start having a handful more international flights.

I read that 161 million has been budgeted for the terminal expansion. Sounds like a significant expansion. Does anyone know what is planned relative to the expansion?

I read that 161 million has been budgeted for the terminal expansion. Sounds like a significant expansion. Does anyone know what is planned relative to the expansion?

An expanded security checkpoint/baggage screening area capable of dealing with international passenger traffic, a new concourse (Concourse A I believe) which will be primarily for international flights and will also include a US Customs office, INS, and other federal agencies. I also believe the want to make it possible to get from one concourse to another without having to go back through the security checkpoint. As it currently is setup, once you're in Concourse C or Concourse B, you're stuck there unless you go back outside the checkpoint. Other costs would probably just be more general things. But the biggest chunk of cash will be going towards making a new concourse for international flights.

B'ham has nonstop international flights? :huh: I've never seen any listed for the airport and I fly in there regularly.

I dont know if they're currently still available, but yes, in B'ham Intl's history they have had flights to Canada and Mexico. Not Europe or Asia or anything, but planes do/did leave United States airspace from B'ham Intl. This is the reason why it was finally determined Birmingham's airport should finally get an "International" designation with its first flights to Canada and Mexico. The new runway extension will, however, likely attract a few overseas flights.

B'ham has nonstop international flights? :huh: I've never seen any listed for the airport and I fly in there regularly.

Huntsville International is currently the only airport in Alabama with regularly scheduled

international flights. Daily non stop 747 Cargo Freighters serve the airport from Asia and Europe.

Huntsville International is currently the only airport in Alabama with regularly scheduled

international flights. Daily non stop 747 Cargo Freighters serve the airport from Asia and Europe.

That's what I thought as I used to live in the Birmingham area and remember when Hunstville got this. Originally the cargo airline for Hunstville was Cargolux. Is it still the same?

Birmingham has never had anything other than charters, possibly to Mexico, that I knew of.

From the Birmingham International Airport website:

Direct service was added to destinations in Mexico and Canada and on October 20, 1993 the name was officially changed to Birmingham International Airport.

Birmingham is extending the airport runway primarily to bring air cargo traffic to Birmingham. Currently Huntsville is getting the international freight traffic for Alabama's many car manufacturing companies. Once Birmingham's runway expansion is complete, the air freight traffic will be diverted to Birmingham as it is far closer to the Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes plants than is the Huntsville airport.

^ In the airline industry, "direct" and "nonstop" have two totally different meanings. A "nonstop" means taking off from point A (ie: Birmingham) and landing at point B (ie: Mexico City), which would be international service. "Direct" simply means the "flight number" stays the same for the plane, but the plane takes off and lands at points A,B,C,D,E. Any "direct" service out of Birmingham means it takes off and lands at say Dallas or Atlanta upon leaving and returning. The Birmingham leg is domestic service, not true international.

From the Birmingham International Airport website:

Birmingham is extending the airport runway primarily to bring air cargo traffic to Birmingham. Currently Huntsville is getting the international freight traffic for Alabama's many car manufacturing companies. Once Birmingham's runway expansion is complete, the air freight traffic will be diverted to Birmingham as it is far closer to the Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes plants than is the Huntsville airport.

there is no promise of that happening. It may but the infrastructure is more than just the runway.

That's what I thought as I used to live in the Birmingham area and remember when Hunstville got this. Originally the cargo airline for Hunstville was Cargolux. Is it still the same?

Birmingham has never had anything other than charters, possibly to Mexico, that I knew of.

the current on site cargo handlers at HSV International

Atlas Air

Cargolux Airlines

DHL Worldwide

Federal Express

Panalpina

UPS

a nice overhead shot

ac2_02.jpg

Edited by HSVTiger

there is no promise of that happening. It may but the infrastructure is more than just the runway.

For one thing, I've read in numerous articles that indicated this would be something that would happen. Apparently Birmingham Airport Authority officials have talked with the automanufacturers and have agreed they'd begin to use Birmingham. The original plan was Birmingham anyway, but the airport at the time couldnt handle such large planes. If you want to believe that these automanufacturer suppliers will continue to fly goods into Huntsville and pay for the additional 90-mile trip when Birmingham has equal capabilities of handling such traffic... then by all means do it. Even if I hadnt read any quotes on this matter (which I have), it would be common sense to me when A) these companies looked to use Birmingham initially but discovered the runway wasnt long enough, and B) flying into Birmingham would shave at least 90 miles off the ground-transport of these items.

We shall see though... not much longer to wait now. The runway extension is nearing completion.

Edited by Blazer85