Birmingham International Airport

Blazer85

For one thing, I've read in numerous articles that indicated this would be something that would happen. Apparently Birmingham Airport Authority officials have talked with the automanufacturers and have agreed they'd begin to use Birmingham. The original plan was Birmingham anyway, but the airport at the time couldnt handle such large planes. If you want to believe that these automanufacturer suppliers will continue to fly goods into Huntsville and pay for the additional 90-mile trip when Birmingham has equal capabilities of handling such traffic... then by all means do it. Even if I hadnt read any quotes on this matter (which I have), it would be common sense to me when A) these companies looked to use Birmingham initially but discovered the runway wasnt long enough, and B) flying into Birmingham would shave at least 90 miles off the ground-transport of these items.

We shall see though... not much longer to wait now. The runway extension is nearing completion.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but Birmingham International is already the busiest in the state, and this will just increase with the extension of the SW-NE runway. I've heard for years from couple of folks that work for the airport that it will pursue actual nonstop overseas domestic flights. Huntsville/Decatur is a growing region and HSV is a growing airport, but it's doubtful that it will ever overtake BHM as the state's busiest or first in the state to have domestic oversea flights. I also agree with Blazer85 with the fact it's closer to all of the auto manufacturing plants except the Toyota plant in Decatur, and it's doubt they will continue to go that far when another airport is more convenient.

Edited by Leonard23

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but Birmingham International is already the busiest in the state, and this will just increase with the extension of the SW-NE runway. I've heard for years from couple of folks that work for the airport that it will pursue actual nonstop overseas domestic flights. Huntsville/Decatur is a growing region and HSV is a growing airport, but it's doubtful that it will ever overtake BHM as the state's busiest or first in the state to have domestic oversea flights. I also agree with Blazer85 with the fact it's closer to all of the auto manufacturing plants except the Toyota plant in Decatur, and it's doubt they will continue to go that far when another airport is more convenient.

slight correction, Toyota is in Huntsville. BHM may get some of the auto business but it HSV is in no danger of not being one of top 20 cargo airports in the country.

It would not make sense to continue shipping Mercedes out of HSV unless the price structure is better.

slight correction, Toyota is in Huntsville. BHM may get some of the auto business but it HSV is in no danger of not being one of top 20 cargo airports in the country.

It would not make sense to continue shipping Mercedes out of HSV unless the price structure is better.

HSV will continue to do a stout cargo business, but I was just pointing out that Birmingham will be getting significantly more cargo business when this is complete. I'm not sure what percentage, but I would bet alot of HSV's cargo business comes from BHM and other places throughout Alabama. So when Birmingham has those capabilities, BHM will likely get much more cargo business. BHM may not even yet overtake HSV in terms of cargo once this runway extension is complete, but it will vastly increase our business.

• 1 month later...

A billion-dollar baby in economic impact

Here's something to make you smile Blazer85, Birmingham International Airport celebrates its 75th birthday. The airport now counts at least 3 million passengers annually, the first time since 9/11, in 2005. It is also being posed to be grow even more with the expension of the longest runway and terminal renovation/improvements.

I have a feeling BIA will be serving more than 5 million passengers annually before the end of this decade. :thumbsup:

I have noticed that BHM has not update their passenger statistics since March. Does anyone know why?

Yeah... it should be over 3 million again this year. Growth at airports like Birmingham is relatively slow, but steady. The airport runway expansion is nearing completion, however, and there are talks of at least a few international flights in and out of Birmingham which should help things considerably. BHM is also about to realize a $200M+ terminal expansion/renovation.

I think Birmingham would be a great place for a airline like Frontier. They have three flights a week leaving from here in Nashville and going no-stop to Cancun, Mexico. Something like that in Birmingham, or perhaps a Carribean flight, would be great. Do you guys have Air Canada???

I think Birmingham would be a great place for a airline like Frontier. They have three flights a week leaving from here in Nashville and going no-stop to Cancun, Mexico. Something like that in Birmingham, or perhaps a Carribean flight, would be great. Do you guys have Air Canada???

Not at the moment I dont believe. They may have flown in to Birmingham before, but I dont think it's a regular stop.

• 3 months later...

Runway extension almost complete, but needs realigning

Apparently, the runaway is 1 degree off from the intended aligned when it was being extended. However, Airport Authority officials say that it won't delay the completion date. Once complete, the airport will be able to handle 747s and be able to have actual direct international domestic and cargo flights. Nonstop international flights aren't too far off either. ;)

Edited by Leonard23

Southwest Airlines (Birmingham's leading air-carrier by far) announced today that they'll be adding 2 non-stop flights to Dallas in the near future.

Should be up and going in time for the holiday season.

Good news for Birmingham's growing airport. I hope we're hearing of new international flights in the not too distant future.

Southwest Airlines (Birmingham's leading air-carrier by far) announced today that they'll be adding 2 non-stop flights to Dallas in the near future.

Should be up and going in time for the holiday season.

Good news for Birmingham's growing airport. I hope we're hearing of new international flights in the not too distant future.

I think we will have direct international flights to places like Asia (due to the Honda, Toyota, and Hundai) and Berlin (due to Mercedes-Benz) within the next 5 to 10 years. :thumbsup:

I think we will have direct international flights to places like Asia (due to the Honda, Toyota, and Hundai) and Berlin (due to Mercedes-Benz) within the next 5 to 10 years. :thumbsup:

I hope that's the case, but given Nashville's struggles to get flights to Asia, I'm not so sure. It would make sense, though.

I think we will have direct international flights to places like Asia (due to the Honda, Toyota, and Hundai) and Berlin (due to Mercedes-Benz) within the next 5 to 10 years.
Perhaps, but I imagine most executive travel is to their North American headquarters in California & Michigan.

Daimler is in Stuttgart actually.

I hope that's the case, but given Nashville's struggles to get flights to Asia, I'm not so sure. It would make sense, though.

Exactly. Currently we have two daily to Canada and everyother day flights to Cancun, Mexico. After that, everything else is domestic with about 90-95 flights a day on Southwest. Including some to BHM. It is doubtful that BHM, or even BNA, would see flights of this nature for a while. Currently, if execs need to get overseas...they charter (which is much cheaper in the long run).

Nashville had almost 10 million passengers pass through its gates last year and still, very limited international service. Although the airport board is working on a new destination or two in Canada and Mexico for the new year. Time will tell though.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if they have been talking with any international carriers or if this is just a hope that it will draw attention from international carriers. IMO, they should be actively going out there pursuing them if they're not. Birmingham could become a great alternative regional site to get away from the busy Hartsfield Atlanta airport.

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine the runway expansion is for the prospect of getting international cargo flights. Trying to lure some away from HSV and trying to get more revenue out of new carriers at the airport. Not to mention, the airport is growing with the city, so the need is more than apparent.

International Cargo flights have become a niche thing for some cities. Bypassing the usual stops that FedEx and UPS have, some cities have direct flights to places in Asia and Europe for cargo. With carriers like China Airlines, Northwest Airlines Air Cargo, Al Nippon Airways, World Airways, Eva Air Cargo, Atlas Air, etc. performing the cargo-only flights.

Does anyone know anything about the direct SouthWest flight from BHM to New Orleans? It's been cancalled since Katrina, and I wonder if SouthWest is ever going to reinstate it.

I had read an article some time back that indicated that to be one of their top priorities. No word on a timeline though.

I had read an article some time back that indicated that to be one of their top priorities. No word on a timeline though.

Don't have enough equpiment to start new routes (for the msot part). That is why you haven't seen any new announcments from them on routes. Most of the newer flights don't kick in till the spring when they take delivery on some more 737-700's.

Edited by Lexy