Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Auto Center is toast, my friend. If the new mall takes off, that site will be an Outback or a Walgreens before you could bat an eye! :)

I think they could call the complex Carolina Circle and leave the main drag through the property as Ring Road.

Then again (joking), they could require that Wal-Mart put some funky '70s flavor into the Supercenter, a la Montgomery Ward. Maybe some concrete berms along the front, a circle motif over the doors, shag carpeting in the clothing section...

I'm going overboard, but that would be awesome if they did do that.

You know I can really see the Wal Mart thing going well, but I really have my doubts about other retail ventures succeeding near there. I mean no one shopped there at all during the mid to late nineties through 2001, so just because there's a Wal Mart I do not know if any kind of retail would take off. Again, just my opinion, but I don't think the demographics of the area (Hwy 29 & Cone) can support an Outback or Olive Garden or a Circuit City. No one around there can afford to spend $50 on a dinner for two at Outback. Plus, I don't think the upscale crowd from NW Greensboro and the Lake Jeanette area will be driving to Ring Rd. to eat.

^ There's a lot of houses going up in the Ready Fork area just north of there that will bring in some more diverse clientele to the old CCM site. They're probably going to want to have some additional shopping and dining options to sweeten Wal-Mart's deal, just not as upscale as CCM started out as.

At the time, the preveiling theory was that you could build a mall almost anywhere and people with money would come. They also were using the skating rink as a draw to the upscale as well.

That's how Ivey's ended up out there. The neighborhood was already going down but they figured the allure of the Ivey's name would attract shoppers from throughout the city. It worked until Ivey's bought out the old Meyer's/Jordan Marsh at Four Seasons, and the uppercust crowd started drifting away.

They were in denial about it for a long while. I remember going to Dilllard's out at Carolina Crcle in about '94 an still seeing $500 suits when the neighborhood demographics suggested something a little less expensive.

Yeah, I hope they keep the name Carolina Circle. Like, the Shoppes at Carolina Circle. In my movie, when we go to 2023, the area is known as the Carolina Circle Dimension Centre. I sure hope that there will be remaining signs that a mall was there before.

Then again (joking), they could require that Wal-Mart put some funky '70s flavor into the Supercenter, a la Montgomery Ward.  Maybe some concrete berms along the front, a circle motif over the doors, shag carpeting in the clothing section...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, I can see it now. Wal-Wards. :P

It's kind of weird to think they started out "upscale"  I wasn't around there then, but it's hard to imagine the "elite" people shopping there.  I know 1975 must have been totaly different in that area of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to also remember that not 10 minutes down the road is Irving Park and the surrounding areas as well. (though I dont think I ever thought of that mall as "elite"...maybe because I wasnt and I went there ;) ) I think where a mall eventually died, you will see revitalization. There are many many folks and new neighborhoods that have sprouted since the mid 70's all over that side of town. Someone stated it on here that the mall was really geared towards the teenager...and well I was one of them. I spent a lot of time there either skating, going to the movies or spending precious allowance money. My mom would drop me and a friend off and we'd go shopping for a couple of hours. We were just one of many that hung out there.

I really am not attached to the name Carolina Circle. I always thought it an odd name anyhow.

I think they'll keep the name or some form of it, they won't call it Wal Mart Plaza or anything like that. It might be simply Carolina Circle... or you could see a whole new name, it'll be intersting to see the evolution.

Think South Square, it's still called that where Sams and SuperTarget are, isn't it?

actually Steven on the 15/501 bypass in Durham they still refer to that area as "South Square." Here's a photo of it. That photo is pretty current because it was taken only last month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, cosmoboy. I forgot about the road signs. I don't think there's a sign on the property that says it, though.

I think i only went to South Square maybe four times when it was a mall, but I miss it too. It was very ugly, as many malls were at the time, but it had a good tenant mix and pleasant atmosphere.

I'm getting way off subject, but really what happend at South Square that killed it was that the threat of Nordstrom locating at a competing mall. Southpoint went from being planned as a small shopping mall with Sears and Hecht's to being a potential regional powerhouse with that one anchor singing. That scared the bejesus out of Hudson Belk and JCPenney.

Since the neighborhood around South Square was starting to go to pot anyway, the choice for them was simple: move to Southpoint.

I wrote a story about South Square a couple years ago on my website:

http://stevenswain.tripod.com/south_square.htm

Let's get back to what this thread was about...the Carolina Circle plaza. Someone mentioned "The Shoppes At Carolina Circle." This sounds great to me! Unfortunately, the Wal Mart execs who make this decision may not know the history and importance of this location to the residents when they rename it.

Shouldn't Wal-Mart have community meetings to discuss stuff like this and the design of the place, instead of the usual blue and white stucco and concrete. Also it's not even Wal-mart's decision for the name because there will eventually be more stores in there right as Wal-Mart is opened.

Maybe...I guess we will all have to face the fact that the nostalgic Carolina Circle Mall is now gone. It will only survive through pictures and perhaps the name. I wish they'd keep that huge entrance sign. I don't even care if they put Wal-Mart over it...just keep the old sign there!

Archived