Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

Maybe...I guess we will all have to face the fact that the nostalgic Carolina Circle Mall is now gone.  It will only survive through pictures and perhaps the name.  I wish they'd keep that huge entrance sign.  I don't even care if they put Wal-Mart over it...just keep the old sign there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As the Rolling Stones would say "You Can't Always Get What You Want." :rofl:

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 1976, that particular area has been known as Carolina Circle Mall or Carolina Circle. Over almost 30 years, that name has become a part of life. I would really not be surprised that it would still be Carolina Circle something. I think a cool name would be the Carolina Circle Dimension Centre. Not just because it's in my movie.

Since 1976, that particular area has been known as Carolina Circle Mall or Carolina Circle. Over almost 30 years, that name has become a part of life. I would really not be surprised that it would still be Carolina Circle something. I think a cool name would be the Carolina Circle Dimension Centre. Not just because it's in my movie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're creating a movie? Nice! :) Maybe you should think about showing it at RiverRun! :lol: Just kidding, but may I have a copy when your done?

I guess whether the name stays or goes depends on Walmarts perception of it all. If they see naming it Carolina Circle anything as a cursed....they will name the shopping center something else. If they see a value in appealing to those that enjoyed shopping at the mall and in the area...then they might would think it over. Personally...no matter how much I remember when about that mall...many do not have those same feelings and my thought and opinion is that it would be a bad business move to try to maintain the name in any way shape or form. I think perhaps taking on something new might help in renewed interest to other businesses that might think about coming to the area. The neighborhood doesnt even carry the name. I dont even know if that was even considered ever a part of O Henry Oaks (the neighborhood that surrounds a good deal of the area. ) The mall will be remembered by folks like us...but the name IMO needs to just die with the remaining rubble and new life there is needed, including a new name.

^ You have a point, ILoveCallingNCHome. All the memories of Carolina Circle aren't pleasant, espcially for those who lost loved ones to various crimes that happened out there over the years. It may be time to offically bury the name.

But for those of us that retain those good memories of the place, we'll just keep calling it Carolina Circle ;)

Yeah, my house was built in 1978 and the living room has brown shag carpeting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thought I'd see that shag carpeting one more time but I guess it's gone now. Does anyone have any souvenirs from that mall? All I have is the Restroom sign I obtained, and a shopping cart from the Toy's R Us with the orange giraffe design on it.

The name of it is Race Land. I know the person who owns the go-kart track. His name is Robby Faircloth. He's a pretty cool guy. On the ccm souvenir topic, back when the mall was open, I didn't have the smart brain as I do today. I was thinking the mall would be around for a long long time. When the mall closed, I was surprised my family and friends didn't tell me "I told you so". To make a long story short, I didn't take any pictures of the mall when it was opened. I really really want something from the mall. Like one of those tin-can style lights. It would look good on my wall.

The name of it is Race Land. I know the person who owns the go-kart track. His name is Robby Faircloth. He's a pretty cool guy. On the ccm souvenir topic, back when the mall was open, I didn't have the smart brain as I do today. I was thinking the mall would be around for a long long time. When the mall closed, I was surprised my family and friends didn't tell me "I told you so". To make a long story short, I didn't take any pictures of the mall when it was opened. I really really want something from the mall. Like one of those tin-can style lights. It would look good on my wall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the place doing alright...business wise? I remember going there and it was practically vacant.

I really really want something from the mall. Like one of those tin-can style lights. It would look good on my wall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw police circling the mall tonight as we drove by. It made me wonder if others had been going inside the gate to get a piece of the rubble for mementos...and that they might start watching closer.

I can unsderstand not wanting people to enter the site for safety reasons, though I'd like a piece of the place too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly....I wonder if some folks that want a piece of CCM went during the day when there are workers...if someone might be willing to help and humor you. The way CCM looks, I would doubt being able to find much of substance though in all the rubble.

exactly....I wonder if some folks that want a piece of CCM went during the day when there are workers...if someone might be willing to help and humor you.  The way CCM looks, I would doubt being able to find much of substance though in all the rubble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

post-1659-1122539646_thumb.jpg

There's probably still something polyester from Montgomery Ward in the rubble :lol: You can't kill that stuff.

post-1659-1122539646_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I would like to see some pictures of the inside of Montgomery Ward. I've sort of forgotten what it looked liked. I remember something about loud air vents, shag carpetting, a beauty salon, and escalotors in the middle. One great store. Acutally, the only Montgomery Ward I've ever been to.

Montgomery Ward was actually pretty well-done for 1976.

There were really high ceilings upstairs with 2x4 recessed flourecent lights grouped togther to make 4x4 lighting fixtures in the apparel portion of the store, the furniture department had these big incandesent recessed fixtures.

The beauty salon was in the center of the floor and had these kelly green fixtures with light green and white walls.

There were all kinds of carpeting in the aforementioned shag and technicolor styles in the varous departments. The aisles were white standard vinyl store tile.

The escalators were off center in the building plan, but were centered on the mall entrance. They were glass escalators and they had a rounded escalator well surrounding them with glass and wood railings.

Downstairs had lower ceilings and HID (high intensity discharge) recessed lighting fixtures, later converted to 2x4 recessed flourecent lights. There was a lot of tile downstairs, partly in residential-style decorative vinyl, the rest in standard vinyl store tile.

I remember the last time I went to Montgomery Ward. I tried to go in my usual way through the loading dock entrance but they had closed off the entire lower level. So I had to go in through the us 29 side. All of the electronics were squeezed into the wall opposite the furniture department. The TV's didn't come with remotes and they were selling a Montgomery Ward 1980's TV. I should have bought that TV.

Acutally, the only Montgomery Ward I've ever been to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to three. One in Northern Virginia somewhere back in the 90's, one in Joliet, Illinois and the one at Carolina Circle. Most had the same 1970's design. I think the one at Carolina Circle was one of the last few to close.

Most had the same 1970's design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One day I did a google image search on Montgomery Ward and I found a picture of a very modern circa 1990's Montgomery Ward. It had the 90's red wards emblem and was mostly made of glass. However, it wasn't connected to a mall.

Archived