Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

Montgomery Ward periodically opened new stores, but most of their store base was stores very similar to Carolina Circle in design.

I've been to the ones at Carolina Circle, Springfield Mall in northern Virginia (now a Target), Catonsville, MD (now a Wal-Mart) and the stores in Roanoke and Lynchburg, Va. that Wards purchased from Miller & Rhoads.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to back when the M-W ccm store was open, I thought that was the only m-w. About 10 years ago I had a dream that there was a mall in Greensboro that had a Montgomery Ward and when I woke up I said to myself, "Billy there's only one Montgomery Ward". But I was so wrong. Probably because I was born in Greensboro and have never known what goes on at shopping centers I've never set foot at.

Back in February I requested a Montgomery Ward catalog, but I've never got it. And once I get enough money, I might buy one of those laptop computer carts to use in bed. I saw it on the Montgomery Ward website. And I read something on their FAQ that sounds positive.

Can I see your products in a near-by store?

At this time we do not have any retail stores. You can only view and purchase products through our web site and our catalogs.

It said "At this time" that means they're thinking of making a come back. But that doesn't mean if they do come back that they'll open one in the Triad. But keep listening for updates. Even if they do come back and open in the Triad, it still won't match up to the legacy of the Montgomery Ward at Carolina Circle Mall.

Montgomery Ward is still in business, it just has an online catalog as much of you probably know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but they seem like they are BARELY in business. They dont have much on their webite available for purchase, and they probably paid some guy $250 to make the website. Not much overhead needed to keep them in business...

Back to the CCM talk, I heard Greensboro got doused tonight with heavy rain since like 7pm, and it is still raining. I wonder if this will help or hinder what is left of the demolition efforts. It my view, it may metaphorically "wash" out the old memories of the CCM. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get up to that area sometime in the fall when they begin construction on the road that is supposed to run straight through where the old mall was.

Back in February I requested a Montgomery Ward catalog, but I've never got it. And once I get enough money, I might buy one of those laptop computer carts to use in bed. I saw it on the Montgomery Ward website. And I read something on their FAQ that sounds positive.

It said "At this time" that means they're thinking of making a come back. But that doesn't mean if they do come back that they'll open one in the Triad. But keep listening for updates. Even if they do come back and open in the Triad, it still won't match up to the legacy of the Montgomery Ward at Carolina Circle Mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to put a damper on your parade, but I HIGHLY dought they will ever open up another store for the rest of their corporate life. The website/catalog is struggling to even stay alive. MW isn't the household name today as we used to know, I mean who want's to buy a dining room set for $800 online when I can go to IKEA and buy one for $400. MW is on the bottom of the food chain and eventually it will die or get eaten up by the "hawk(s)".....AKA IKEA, Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond.

Not to put a damper on your parade, but I HIGHLY dought they will ever open up another store for the rest of their corporate life. The website/catalog is struggling to even stay alive. MW isn't the household name today as we used to know, I mean who want's to buy a dining room set for $800 online when I can go to IKEA and buy one for $400. MW is on the bottom of the food chain and eventually it will die or get eaten up by the "hawk(s)".....AKA IKEA, Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah when is that IKEA coming to NC? I don't even care where it is in NC, just put one here somewhere!

Back to the CCM talk, I heard Greensboro got doused tonight with heavy rain since like 7pm, and it is still raining.  I wonder if this will help or hinder what is left of the demolition efforts.  It my view, it may metaphorically "wash" out the old memories of the CCM. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well when I rode by there last night, it looked like they still had a good deal to go before CCM is total history aka a wash out so to speak. Maybe after the land is graded...and a heavy rain comes...then perhaps the metaphoric will come to pass. (or a snow will occur in Jan/Feb that will freeze CCM into a time warp ...at least in our memories..)

I didn't realize that Montgomery Ward left Greensboro for 16 years. That's very odd. Thanks for the trivia, ILoveCallingNCHome.

The Montgomery Ward website is run by a marketing comapny that bought the name at auction. The original Montgomery Ward is no more.

A few updates on ccm.

1. The demolition is now at a point where the mall looks worse than me after I wake up in the morning. :P

2. I am about to write a book on ccm called "The Biography of Carolina Circle Mall". It will include a detailed look into the life of ccm.

3. Within the next day or two, I will create another Yahoo! Album. I found some pictures from the Grand Opening on Wednesday, August 4, 1976. It is very interesting to look at because I didn't start going to ccm until the early 90's so I don't have any experience in the pre-renovation ccm. Warning: I don't have a picture of the ice rink.

Just as promised, the pictures of the Grand Opening! I call the album, "The Birth of Carolina Circle Mall".

Here they are, knock your self out: The Birth of Carolina Circle Mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the photos! And Iveys! I love the picture of the Ivey's sign. I would love a really good picture of the Ice Rink. I worked in that Belks from June 1986 to January/Feb 1988 in the Switchboard/Customer Service area.

Archived