McMansions Transforming Myers Park, Good or Bad?

monsoon

Are the New McMansions that are replacing the original homes Good or Bad for Myers Park  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are the New McMansions that are replacing the original homes Good or Bad for Myers Park

• Good
    • Bad
    • I don't care

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hate to be the neighborhood beotch that built the 10,000 square foot monster that everyone hated

I doubt the owners of this home will care if their neighbors hate them or not. Chances are this is not their only home. They may only be there at most 6 to 8 months out the year at the most anyway. They are probably members to some club where their "real" friends are....I say let them eat cake.

While my neighbors are whining about the lack of sun on their mudholes...ummm, I meant swimming pools, I'm at my New York condo. Who cares what they think? If you don't like it, have the zoning laws changed. Until then, if you wave twice to me and act like you like me, I might think about inviting you to my Winter Extravaganza in December.

I'm not saying this is what I would feel....I'm trying to think like the homeowner might think. Me personally...I probably would have preferred that house on 3 acres. If I just had to be in the neighborhood, I would have probably bought two homes and demolished them for a larger space. The stone is all wrong...sometimes too much of a good thing is bad.

The stone thing in the picture above is a nice illustration of what I hate most about McMansions. The detailing is crude, the proportions are off (a half-basement story on the street front would do wonders for the house), the arches are all wrong and the balustrades are chunky and not well suited to the house at all. I don't mind big houses. I just wish the new ones would have better proportions. The house above is the architectural equivalent of a toad.

I would be willing to call it a mansion, instead of a McMansion though. To me a McMansion is a big house with "builder grade" fixtures, a front of thin face brick, with the other walls hardiplank ... or ... vinyl.

I would even say the house itself isn't all that bad. What is jarring is that because it's so large, no room was left for the mature trees that make up much of the atmosphere of Queens road. It just feels too close to the street.

I'd rather live next to one of the new mansions rather than live next to a POS bungalow that an old lady has lived in for 50 years, and wouldn't be worth fixing it up (because the land is worth more than the house).

The old lady would probably be a much nicer neighbor than Buffy and Buzz in their 10,000 sq ft "escape" from the world.

I was wondering if anyone would mind posting photos of what they consider beautiful houses architecturally from any of Charlotte's historic areas (ie Myers, Dilworth, Plaza-Midwood, etc.) I'd like to see more of these neighborhoods before they disappear.

I'd love to see them... :D

Thanks... :cry:

Nah... I don't care that much. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I hate the MC's going up. However, I really want to see quality modern homes built in. Fake old is just bad. A mix of modern homes, built to the same scale (or even smaller, but on the same size plot) would be beautiful. My fav. home is the one on queen's right near bbandt near presby. There is a modern addition with functional louvers that creates an inner courtyard. Love it.

Archived