Dutch Square Center

What's the history of Dutch Square Center/Mall? I went there yesterday and am surprised that what must be a small circa 1970 mall along a boulevard of 1970s-era sprawl still seems to be doing fine; McAlister Square in Greenville, which seemed to be a larger and somewhat nicer version of Dutch Square, suddenly died several years go due to competition from Haywood Mall, although Columbiana Center hasn't killed Dutch Square.

Did Dutch Square used to have more upscale stores? Was it ever a very thriving center? Hopefully it'll be around for many years to come; it seems to be a decently successful mall that is well maintained.

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the history of Dutch Square Center/Mall?  I went there yesterday and am surprised that what must be a small circa 1970 mall along a boulevard of 1970s-era sprawl still seems to be doing fine; McAlister Square in Greenville, which seemed to be a larger and somewhat nicer version of Dutch Square, suddenly died several years go due to competition from Haywood Mall, although Columbiana Center hasn't killed Dutch Square. 

Did Dutch Square used to have more upscale stores? Was it ever a very thriving center?  Hopefully it'll be around for many years to come; it seems to be a decently successful mall that is well maintained.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't lived here for very long (just four years), but from what I can tell, Dutch Square used to be THE mall for the area. I think the movie theater and Burlington Coat Factory have helped it to survive this long. It's an ideal location, though--conveniently located between three interstates, not too far from downtown, and there's still a good commercial mix (I go to Manifest and Heroes & Dragons at Boozer).

I heard it was the first enclosed mall in SC. I don't know much else about it.

People say all the time that it needs a rennovation, and yet when I went inside it was very active and fairly clean and nice. It wasn't Columbiana or anything, but it was nice.

Most of the activity seems to be oriented around the movie theater, which is undoubtedly the saving grace of that mall.

Dutch Square isn't too bad for having a little bit of stores....I like it WAY better than Richland Mall and that's bigger and has like 3 times as many of stores...Dutch Square is more active and the movie theatre there is the joint. If it wasn't for that I don't think Dutch Square would still be open...But it would be cool if they could add on to the mall and build a parking garage or something.

Edited by sonofaque86

Dutch Square isn't too bad for having a little bit of stores....I like it WAY better than Richland Mall and that's bigger and has like 3 times as many of stores...Dutch Square is more active and the movie theatre there is the joint. If it wasn't for that I don't think Dutch Square would still be open...But it would be cool if they could add on to the mall and build a parking garage or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to Richland as well. Richland was sad; I went there 10 years ago and thought it was a nice but quiet mall; now it just looks like an aging and dying mall, with Dillard's and a lot of stores gone. The remaining anchors will soon need to be remodeled, unless they are going to eventually close as well; they look somewhat dated.

The Columbiana Centre billboard in front of Richland Mall is a real slap in the face to Richland; I'd guess that it targets people who drive out of the Richland parking garage, disappointed to have shopped in a dying mall.

Yeah... Dutch Square was THE mall, but it took a dive in the late 80s... just like many older malls. When Harbison blew up and Columbiana Center opened, the Dutch Square area began to get a little rusty. However, watch for that area to come back. The county has ideas about redevelopment and it's really already starting to pick back up -- just slightly. I've seen some drawings for a town center type development -- like they're doing with Richland Mall -- for Dutch Square Mall and Boozer Shopping Center area. I believe they're buried somewhere on the Richland County website in the Town & Country plan.

Edited by emerging.me

The Columbiana Centre billboard in front of Richland Mall is a real slap in the face to Richland; I'd guess that it targets people who drive out of the Richland parking garage, disappointed to have shopped in a dying mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol!! That sign is in front of Columbia Place too!! That only 20 minutes away sign! Columbiana really tryin! lol

Here's the drawing:

fig7_16.gif

That would be the intersection of Broad and Bush River roads.

And here are the details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be cool to see that at Dutch Square. I saw something like that in NC last weekend. Its about 25 minutes outside of Charlotte and it was like a little town with streets and a movie theatre and everything. It would be cool if Columbia could have something like that

When I was a kid, Dutch Square (1970) was the largest mall in South Carolina and the only enclosed mall in Columbia. Richland Mall (1960) was semi-enclosed, with a partial roof over the area between stores. I wouldn't say Dutch Square was upscale, but in 1970, metro Columbia was less than half the size it is now. The Department stores at the mall were JB Whites (bought out a few years ago by Parisian, with some store sold to Belks) and Tapps. At one time Tapps had 4 or 5 stores in Columbia. I never cared for Tapps, though, they had awful buyers. Tapps was located where the theatres are now and Whites was located where Belks is now. I think Dutch Square is still a good neighborhood shopping center. I go there occassionally, if I only need a few things.

That would be cool to see that at Dutch Square. I saw something like that in NC last weekend. Its about 25 minutes outside of Charlotte and it was like a little town with streets and a movie theatre and everything. It would be cool if Columbia could have something like that

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you referring to Birkdale in Huntersville?

There is another one of these being developed in Fort Mill called Baxter Village. I dont know much about it except that it will be quite large.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I passed by Baxter Village today, but have never actually been through it. From what I hear, it's pretty nice.

The county has ideas about redevelopment and it's really already starting to pick back up -- just slightly. I've seen some drawings for a town center type development -- like they're doing with Richland Mall --  for Dutch Square Mall and Boozer Shopping Center area. I believe they're buried somewhere on the Richland County website in the Town & Country plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but I've always thought the name "Boozer Shopping Center" was funny. Must we all be drunkards to shop there? I know it's a family name, but one I probably wouldn't have used on a retail center.

Haha, that is true. I was a bit confused by that one at first too. That plan shows the aborption of that shopping center into the village thing though. The Boozer shopping center is not very attractive, so anything they do will be an improvement.

• 1 year later...