Dutch Square Center

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Wal-Mart fan for a whole slew of reasons, but I think *anything* going in at the old Bush River Mall site will improve the perception of the entire Dutch Square area -- it might actually help business at the mall. I have wondered how long it will be before revitalization jumps the river and comes to that area. I believe the county has it on their master planning slate to tackle in the next year or two. One of the ideas is to transform Dutch Square into an outdoor mall in the vein of Sandhills. There are renderings on the county site somewhere. It's just a concept, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in another 5-10 years.

Edited by emerging.me

^I wouldn't think they had the space for that.

Yeah... it would be on a smaller scale. The drawing I've seen shows the whole Dutch Square and Boozer Shopping Center area converted into such a place. I imagine the idea would be everything inside the loop of Dutch Square Blvd., Bush River Rd., and Broad River Road. I'll see if I can dig up the drawing.

Here's the link to the Dutch Square-Boozer page in Richland County's Town & Country Plan.

And the images...

fig7_13.gif

fig7_14.gif

fig7_15.gif

fig7_16.gif

Quote: "In the end, the district would have ideally evolved into a fully mature suburban village, with a large volume of pedestrian-scale activity anchored by several large parking structures and defined by the character of its streets and public spaces, not by the size of its parking lots."

Edited by emerging.me

^People'd still have to drive to shop there, and parking looks kinda sparse. Am I missing a garage?

Also, I don't think people are as into the walking thing as the UP crowd is. I'll park blocks away and walk if I can get a free meter, but I grew up in the country and walking is no big deal. Most people I know are not of this mindset. How many people shopping at the VAS move their SUVS from store to store rather than walk?

Edited by Captain Worley

^People'd still have to drive to shop there, and parking looks kinda sparse. Am I missing a garage?

Also, I don't think people are as into the walking thing as the UP crowd is. I'll park blocks away and walk if I can get a free meter, but I grew up in the country and walking is no big deal. Most people I know are not of this mindset. How many people shopping at the VAS move there SUVS from store to store rather than walk?

Exactly! I agree completely. They *should* be into it though. Haha.

The idea is to make it a place where the residents dont need cars. People will still drive there for now, but it will be capable of supporting mass transit when Columbia starts to invest in it. Don't think about it as a major shopping destination, but a community shopping/retail/restaurant/small business area that is much more compact than we are used to today.

Thats different though. Dutch Square is a minor shopping destination. Besides, thats what garages are for. Columbia is good abuot puitting shops on the lower levels of garages, so it should be possible to have a seamless pedestrian environment that still has room to park.

Its a city ordinance that all city garages must have shops... the problem comes with privately develpoed ones, like Meridian's garage. It has one shop, but its been empty since it was first built (correct me if I'm wrong). The problem there is that they only build 1 store, and not a row...

• 6 months later...

There is an article in the state about making Dutch Square a smaller version of the Village at Sandhill

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/117281.html

That would be great. It's good to see that developers are showing interest. I wish they had mentioned that this type of redevelopment for DS has been in the county's master plan for a couple of years now -- we've discussed that before in this thread, and I think I've posted the concept art that planners drew up.

Edited by emerging.me

I've never been in one; are you being serious or facetious on this one?

Ha! Well, what I mean by that comparison is that it's a chain that offers well-made products (clothing) at VERY affordable prices. There is also kind of a basic, clean and simple vibe. Very authentic feeling. Hence, it's the IKEA of clothing. :)

They keep costs low by relying on word-of-mouth and viral marketing instead of traditional advertising. Label snobs probably shouldn't bother with it, but the clothing is stylish.

Edited by emerging.me