Dutch Square Center

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

This is exciting for Dutch Square. This fits in with that plan we uncovered a while back. It would certainly bring new life to that part of town.

I just wanted to mention here, for the sake of being complete, that the Chick-Fil-A closure is a huge, huge loss for Dutch Square. The Hallmark store is going/gone as well.

Another thing worthy of note: Steve & Barry's obviously isn't coming -- as mentioned a few posts above. The chain is kaput.

Edited by emerging.me

When did this happen? I ate there Firday.

Don't know when it's closing, but I hear it's imminent. First of the chain in Columbia, I believe. And one of the first locations -- if not *the* first -- in SC. Don't know the history, but it has to be close.

Edited by emerging.me

• 1 month later...

I look at Dutch Square and can't help but see what used to be Coliseum Mall in Hampton, VA: once THE premier shopping center, left behind by newer malls in the suburbs, left to die or reinvent itself. Coliseum Mall is now being transformed into Peninsula Town Center, a development similar to the Village at Sandhill, only smaller. They were able to keep the mall's anchor stores open through the transition. I would love to see something like that happen at Dutch Square; but then, that was also the plan for Richland Mall, and we see what happened there.

I look at Dutch Square and can't help but see what used to be Coliseum Mall in Hampton, VA: once THE premier shopping center, left behind by newer malls in the suburbs, left to die or reinvent itself. Coliseum Mall is now being transformed into Peninsula Town Center, a development similar to the Village at Sandhill, only smaller. They were able to keep the mall's anchor stores open through the transition. I would love to see something like that happen at Dutch Square; but then, that was also the plan for Richland Mall, and we see what happened there.

Peninsula Town Center was recently completed and is open for business!thumbsup.gif

http://peninsulatowncenter.com/

4425726576_dfc7ebd8a8.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbrkly/4425726576/

town_center_site_plan.jpg

Edited by calwinston

• 3 weeks later...

This is related not just to Dutch Square Center, but also the surrounding corridor. Richland County Neighborhood Improvement will hold a series of meetings this week for community members to provide input about the future of the Broad River corridor. The meetings will be this Tuesday through Thursday, May 11-13, beginning at 5:30pm at Dutch Square Center near Belk's. I'm going to attend at least one of the meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone end up attending any of these meetings? I'd be interested to know what was said. Broad River Road is a major thoroughfare that is in desperate need of a shot in the arm.

I went to the first meeting that they held. They called it a "charette," although I can't remember what that means right now. They presented their preliminary results from the first round of meetings they held last year, and then broke us up into small groups to identify the area's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. We sat around large maps of the area and pointed out things that were problematic (for example, high-traffic intersections or empty lots), and also assets that could be capitalized upon. I don't know how the rest of the meetings went, but it was good to see so many people there that were invested in improving the corridor.

I think even just a medium-scale streetscaping would do wonders for the Broad River corridor. Resurface the road, spruce up the sidewalks and intersections, bury the power lines, and plant trees along the sides. Basic upgrades would help the area change from the somewhat blighted sprawl it is today to a slightly more urban, cared-for neighborhood. New retail would most likely start to once again be attracted to the area. Perhaps the disruption of the streetscaping would force some of the businesses of lesser repute to leave, thereby removing some of the negative stigma of the Broad River Road address.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There will be another round of meetings about the Broad River Corridor today and tomorrow. Apparently they've taken the results of the last round of meetings in May and compiled a report of their findings, which can be found here. It was quite interesting to see their proposals for what they call the "Dutch Square mixed-use transit node;" looks like they're proposing that Dutch Square be completely reshaped, extending Colonial Life Blvd from Bush River Rd. to Longcreek Rd. and a lot of new construction.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Belk at Dutch Square is closing in January 2015.

As I've said, once a Southern mall loses its Chick-fil-A (which the mall did a few years ago) and its Belk, it's over.

its time for them go do what their original plan. tear down that old 80's looking mall and build a Village at Sandhills style mall. a town mall will be perfect for that area. it seems to be the new trend now.