Arts in Columbia

waverider

How would you rank the arts offerings/community in Columbia? (Music, theater, literature, visual art, etc.)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank the arts offerings/community in Columbia? (Music, theater, literature, visual art, etc.)

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor--I feel like I'm in a cultural black hole!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Interesting. I was under the impression that the School of Law was going to build closer to Gervais & Hampton.

Gervais and Hampton don't intersect. The new law school is going to take up the entire block bounded by Gervais, Bull, Senate and Pickens. It will include a renovation of the former Columbia Museum of Art. The main part of it will be a new 4-story building along Gervais.

• 2 years later...

Columbia officials plan to hire a full-time cultural affairs director in the next few months, part of a broader plan to strengthen the city’s support for the arts. The plan was one of several recommendations presented to City Council members Wednesday as part of Mayor Steve Benjamin’s transition committee report.

Benjamin said he would want the employee to do three things:

• Take all of the pictures down at City Hall and replace them with art from local artists.

• Create a public art program, similar to the MuralWorks program in Cincinnati that pays professional artists to paint murals across the city.

• Coordinate an unidentified project Benjamin declined to identify because it involves a contract the city is still negotiating.

Columbia officials plan to hire a full-time cultural affairs director in the next few months, part of a broader plan to strengthen the city’s support for the arts. The plan was one of several recommendations presented to City Council members Wednesday as part of Mayor Steve Benjamin’s transition committee report.

Benjamin said he would want the employee to do three things:

• Take all of the pictures down at City Hall and replace them with art from local artists.

• Create a public art program, similar to the MuralWorks program in Cincinnati that pays professional artists to paint murals across the city.

• Coordinate an unidentified project Benjamin declined to identify because it involves a contract the city is still negotiating.

I like this! I hope the person will work and really make this city even more of a arts based in the ways listed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A nice write-up in the Charleston City Paper highlighting a major Mark Rothko exhibition at the Columbia Museum of Art encouraging Charlestonians to make the drive up I-26 to go check it out:

Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade 1940-1950
was created by the Columbia Museum with 30 Rothko works belonging to the National Gallery of Art. "This is the largest Rothko loan in the history of the National Gallery," says
[
National Gallery of Art director Earl]
Powell, while walking through the exhibition before it opened last Thursday. "You need a good partner to make something like this happen."

This is the most significant exhibition of this period of Rothko's life. It is also a monumental undertaking for the Columbia Museum; it is probably the most important exhibition the museum has organized in its 60-year-history and includes a catalog published by Skira Rizzoli. The museum hosts many big shows, but nearly all come from other institutions.

Archived