Arts in Columbia

waverider

How would you rank the arts offerings/community in Columbia? (Music, theater, literature, visual art, etc.)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank the arts offerings/community in Columbia? (Music, theater, literature, visual art, etc.)

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor--I feel like I'm in a cultural black hole!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Here are some notes from the Columbia Museum of Art:

Robert Turner, a retired literature professor at the University of Pennsylvania has given the Columbia Museum of Art its largest art donation since the early 1950s, which includes 57 Chinese bronze pieces, ceramics and sculptures made between 2000 B.C. and 1368. They cover many of the most important artistic periods in Chinese history. This latest donation fills an important gap in the museum

Here's a blurb about the Columbia Museum of Art from the minutes of the last city council meeting from the latest edition of the Columbia Star:

Director Karen Brosius brought council up to date on the CMA. Concluding February 4, the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibition was the best attended in recent memory, 26,000 visitors from 45 states and nine countries. Thanks to advertising over NPR in Raleigh, 500 visitors came down. This past year the CMA added $10 million to the local economy. With a blockbuster planned to open in the spring of 2009, still unnamed, the CMA staff is studying the museum in Raleigh to see how that museum handled its Monet exhibition and how they managed to attract 215,000 visitors in 12 weeks.

As Marvin Chernoff indicated a few weeks before the start of the festival, he won't undertake another Columbia Festival of the Arts next year. In terms of attendance, it was really a mixed bag; it seems as though the most success came with the theaters and the art galleries.

Since this was really just a coordination of events and functions that would have occurred anyway, I think the festival might have seen more success if special events were planned. Also, I think it ran a bit too long; if someone else takes up the baton, it might be better to condense this to about four days or so.

I think the festival was a good idea, but I think 1 or 2 really big events should have been scheduled during the festival in order to draw more interest from out of town. Unfortunately, I only made it to one event, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow through July 6, there will be an art exhibit in the first floor gallery of Richland County Public Library on Assembly Street. It's called Corporate Viewpoint. The artwork is by Donna Rozier, whose paintings celebrate the colors and architecture of Columbia's city center. "The State" paper has shown some examples of her work.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty interesting piece of news from this week's edition of the Free Times:

Poetry fans, rejoice! The Southern Fried Regional Poetry Slam Festival calls the Capital City home this year, and more than 200 poets and spoken-word artists from across the Southeast will descend on our hep little burg for the three-day festival, which centers around a lyrical battle for the Southern Fried Championship Crown. This isn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received my semi-monthly newletter from Columbia's City Center Partnership, "Around the Block," and the unveiling of the new sculpture on Boyd Plaza at the Columbia Museum of Art will take place Tuesday, September 25th at noon.

Also, for the second year Fall N2 Art is running alongside the Greek Festival today and tomorrow on Main Street.

http://www.thestate.com/weekend/story/179185.html

Archived