The Coal Plant

Florida

You know, I really hope that people who were against the coal don't own SUV's. I mean, we need power some how. Coal may not be the best solution but it is the cheapest. That's a justification. To fulfill a need economically. What is the justification for owning a gas gussling, polluting SUV? Because it looks good? Because it's spacious? Need space? Take the bus.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I really hope that people who were against the coal don't own SUV's. I mean, we need power some how. Coal may not be the best solution but it is the cheapest. That's a justification. To fulfill a need economically. What is the justification for owning a gas gussling, polluting SUV? Because it looks good? Because it's spacious? Need space? Take the bus.

I'm with you... I wish the people who own SUVs had to justify a need to own one before they are allowed to purchase them because I rarely ever see more than two people in them, and rarely do they leave the road.

You just reminded me of Al Gore...the biggest Environmental hypocrite on the planet. He goes to environmental rallies in a gas-guzzling SUV or a Cadillac yet he pretends to be an authority on global warming. I too find it disturbing that many environmentalists don

Enviromentalism is a very positive thing...something I believe in.....but I don't preach it and I don't vote down coal....because I have the guts to admit I use energy and we have to be realistic in our approaches to energy...not just idealistic.

As a political cause it blows.

I'll give you an example. Last night a ton of big name comedians had a huge show to benefit the fight against global warming.

Now ask yourself this. How many of them live in houses that are 10,000 SQFT or larger? How many have multiple homes? How many regulary travel on a private jet? How many travel in limosines?

Translation? These Hollywood Environmentalist want YOU to live in a 500 SQFT place, ride a bike everywhere, and not enjoy the luxuries that use energy.....but THEY are special...so it is OK for them.

Enviromentalism is a very positive thing...something I believe in.....but I don't preach it and I don't vote down coal....because I have the guts to admit I use energy and we have to be realistic in our approaches to energy...not just idealistic.

As a political cause it blows.

I'll give you an example. Last night a ton of big name comedians had a huge show to benefit the fight against global warming.

Now ask yourself this. How many of them live in houses that are 10,000 SQFT or larger? How many have multiple homes? How many regulary travel on a private jet? How many travel in limosines?

Translation? These Hollywood Environmentalist want YOU to live in a 500 SQFT place, ride a bike everywhere, and not enjoy the luxuries that use energy.....but THEY are special...so it is OK for them.

Nicely put and you are absolutely right!

This is like the preacher in Voltare's Candide who preaches the value charity to his followers, and when Candide begs him for some help he curses the poor little guy for asking.

If it's not built, electricity rates would probably rise higher.

Taylor county is relatively unpopulated anyway, I don't see what the big deal is. As for environmentalists fighting tooth and nail, some of them I respect. But I've also seen one or two of those "Say No to Coal" signs on lawns with also one or two SUVs parked in the driveway...

Exactly... and let us not forget... this Coal Plan will burn cleaner than the Purdum and Hopkins plants in the Tallahassee area. I've never been concerned about the environmental impact, I think we as a government are proactive in ensuring minimal environmental impact on the community.

Its only the future price of Coal that I dear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I agree....of course those folks will be paying $800 utility bills before you know it and they will be beotching about it to no end.

I just voted yes for the coal plant.

I just wish I had the option of voting for a nuclear plant and I would of gone for that first.

I'd be all abourt nukes, except for that pesky problem with the nuke plants not paying squat to their workers (can you say Homer Simpson?). Remember that pesky 3 Mile Island thing. Remeber that there is a whole section of the Ukraine that you can't go into because the folks watching the meters weren't? Then there's that problem with what to do with the spent fuel. Oh wait, we own a big patch of sand in the mideast now. Let's bury it there.

The local Muscogee Creek people have an ethic of looking forward seven generations. Those of us who support nukes in the 'hood need to conider that tradition.

Let me tell you, the 'nut point of view social club' is a lonely place, but they have great beer.

Archived