Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mediamongrel

Greensboro's old department stores

I know most of the antique shops in downtown Greensboro that go up about 3 or 4 stories were converted from department stores back in the 1980's. Does anyone have any information or pictures on any of the old department stores that were once based in downtown Greensboro? I went to Greensboro last month and was in one of the antique stores on the third floor and I found an old sign that looked like an old department store placard that used to hang somewhere in the store probably in the 1950's-1960's. The owner said it was from the same building.

Downtown Greensboro used to have Belk, Meyer's, Ellis-Stone (Thalhimers), Sears and Montgomery Ward stores, as well as Kress, Woolworth's and (I think) W.T. Grant and Roses.

Many of the old department stores are being redeveloped into entertainment and cultural destination. Thalhimers is now the Elm Street Center which today has a large forming ball room, a comedy club, and Hemmingways Night club and bar.

The Kress Building has ballroom space, a rooftop terrace for live entertainment and now the Rum Runners restaurant bar chain with dualing piano entertainment will open on the first floor of the building.

Woolworth is being converted into the International Civil Rights Museum.

And Triad Stage (drama theatre) use to be Montgomery Wards

Kress and Thalhimers had some wonderful old buildings. I'm glad to see them back in use. And Woolworth's has established an historical legacy far greater than the architecture.

What's the status of the old Belk building?

The Kress building impressed me from the first time I saw it, back in the early 90's when it was still vacant and declining. It's a really nice example of Art Deco; I'm glad it has been preserved with the exterior intact.