Hispanic Growth in the Southeast

Mith242

The American SW was basically unpopulated when it was ceded to the US by Mexico following the American victory in the Mexican War. No land belongs to any people in perpetuity. This is the lesson of history. If you rest on your laurels and do not defend yourself, you will find yourself without a country (see Indians, Kurds, et al). This is important to note when considering the Spanish/Mexican reconquista (reconquest) of the Southwest. Texas just became majority minority and California is now majority Mexican. This will all end in tears, I am afraid.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there isnt much of a hispanic population in Louisiana. Espesially in south-east Louisiana. The industry here does not seem to support the work that many of the hispanic immigrants coming to the U.S. are looking for. I know that there has been a HUGE growth in hispanic population in south-west Arkansas, I can see that when I go up there every few months. Up there, it seems that the chicken plants are becoming the main employer for the hispanic population.

Mith, please clarify that first sentence. By "these groups," are you refering strictly to the Minuteman Project? Also, how are "these groups" hate groups against Hispanics, considering they consist of legally immigrated Hispanics themselves? Please give an example of how this is being carried out poorly. I have yet to hear of a single negative incident.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops I somehow missed your response Arkansawyer. I don't have a problem with the original Minuteman Project when they were patrolling the border. It's one thing to watch and see people jumping the border, it's another to stop anyone who's hispanic in other parts of the country simply because they look hispanic. The article I had read said there were complaints from some neighborhoods that they were being harrassed, even the legal residents of hispanic descent. It just seems like it could easily get out of hand and start having groups who are simply going to go after any hispanic person and not just illegal immigrant. Some of the same tactics used against Afro-Americans in the 50's and 60's are now being used against people just because of their heritage. I know there is a problem with illegal immigration and I'm not saying that nothing needs to be down about it. But I think there is a problem with how it's being carried out away from the border. Once again sorry for the slow response.

Well there isnt much of a hispanic population in Louisiana. Espesially in south-east Louisiana. The industry here does not seem to support the work that many of the hispanic immigrants coming to the U.S. are looking for. I know that there has been a HUGE growth in hispanic population in south-west Arkansas, I can see that when I go up there every few months. Up there, it seems that the chicken plants are becoming the main employer for the hispanic population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say all of western Arkansas and central Arkansas have seen a large influx of hispanics. But it's not stopping there, it's taken longer but they are starting to make their presence in the rest of Arkansas even in areas with high unemployment. This seems to be a trend in most of the southeast. I'd say it's probably more a matter of time before they start making a moce into Louisiana. I'm just curious to see what kinf of cultural impact they will have on the 'south'.

• 4 weeks later...

This subject is one alot of people have been thinking for along time but thought it was politicaly incorrect to talk about. I work for a Engineering company supervising major road construction jobs, and a large amount of the workers i run across are of the hispanic origan.I do not have a problem with hispanics tring to better themselves by coming to the US for work.I do however have a problem with them doing this illegally.

This problem will not end unless the government takes charge and enforces the laws that we pay them to enforce.Our tax money is used for a varity of what I consider useless programs when it could be better used providing law enforcement to assist with this problem.

The government needs to mandate harsher punishment for companys who are caught hireing illegal immagrants. There are ways to come to this country legally and they should be used.I do not judge people based on ethnisity so I'm not just talking about hispanics when you read this ANY person who is not here legally should be removed.

I have noticed that in general the hispanic population are hard working people and should be given a chance to better themselves, but not at the expence of the taxpayers of the US.Better laws should be drafted

for issueing work visas and I believe that if you work in this country then you should pay taxes in this country just like everyone else, so the tax free work visas should be completely done away with.

Fully agreed jfl25!!! It is a shame that the citizens of america are being ignored by the government of this country for whatever reasons that there may be about the illegal entry of outside foreigners into this country. :angry: I too have no issue with anyone coming to america looking for a better life for themselves and their families legally, but I do have an issue for those that come in illegally and abuse our country in various aspects such as healthcare and not contributing to our tax system by not paying any taxes!!! MY huge fear bout the border issue is the fact that if our leaders in power doesn't enforce any laws regarding the illegal migration of foreigners into our country through our borders, sadly the next 9-11 is just simmering and waiting to happen due to terrorist organizations utilizing our government's effortless enforcement on the borders if no action is taken in time. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly do believe that our economy has transitioned itself to rely on the Hispanic labor force. Government knows this. I have witnessed hundreds of Hispanics lined up every morning along Jackson Avenue in Memphis while people pick and choose which ones they want to pay cash to work for them. So its not only illegal immigrants who are breaking the law. I'm pretty sure none of these "employers" hand them I-9 forms to fill out. This takes place EVERY morning. (Looks a little like slave trading to me.) Obviously, they are going to be allowed to stay; therefore I think its only fair that the ones that are already here are legalized and paid fair wages. Its obvious that the government allows them to come over. I simply can't believe that the wealthiest nation on earth can't control its borders.

some of the opinions on here are pretty hilarious ...illegal immigration has been a problem in the US for decades now especially along the southwestern states and California. Why is there such an uproar now when hispanics have started moving to the south?

There are over 10 million illegals living in the US now, you'd think they all just ran across the border in the last few years??

We have porous borders and never will truly be able to stop illegal immigration just like we can't even stop illegal drugs...as long as there is a demand for cheap labor it will always exist.

some of the opinions on here are pretty hilarious ...illegal immigration has been a problem in the US for decades now especially along the southwestern states and California. Why is there such an uproar now when hispanics have started moving to the south?

There are over 10 million illegals living in the US now, you'd think they all just ran across the border in the last few years??

We have porous borders and never will truly be able to stop illegal immigration just like we can't even stop illegal drugs...as long as there is a demand for cheap labor it will always exist.

I think we can stop illegal drugs, but just like illegal immigration is big business (inexpensive labor), so is the illegal drug trade. I just dont believe we can send a cruise missile into a terrorists living room from 100 miles away, but we cant stop illegal immigration.

It's not just been in the southwest these past decades. Florida is one of the worst..... Hispanics have been coming up through Florida to southeastern states for a long time as well.

Some good points. I think most people would agree that the federal government really could do a better job at illegal immigration but choses not to make a big deal about it. Although I don't agree with the Minuteman Project, at least away from the border. But we need to find better ways to get the federal government to do the job it should be doing.

Well, let's see.

The US stole Mexico. Mexico stole from Spain. Spain stole it from the Native Americans.

I don't think anyone has a moral claim to the Southwest US aside from the natives.

Which would be most Mexicans....

Personally I am glad we have illegals here.....My grandparents were illegal when they came here from Mexico in the 1940's so if not for them I wouldnt be here!!

I honestly do believe that our economy has transitioned itself to rely on the Hispanic labor force. Government knows this. I have witnessed hundreds of Hispanics lined up every morning along Jackson Avenue in Memphis while people pick and choose which ones they want to pay cash to work for them. So its not only illegal immigrants who are breaking the law. I'm pretty sure none of these "employers" hand them I-9 forms to fill out. This takes place EVERY morning. (Looks a little like slave trading to me.) Obviously, they are going to be allowed to stay; therefore I think its only fair that the ones that are already here are legalized and paid fair wages. Its obvious that the government allows them to come over. I simply can't believe that the wealthiest nation on earth can't control its borders.

Ive witnessed the same thing in areas around Atlanta. In fact, in Atlanta, there are businesses you can call and "order" illegal aliens and they will bus them to your location to work..

Ive witnessed the same thing in areas around Atlanta. In fact, in Atlanta, there are businesses you can call and "order" illegal aliens and they will bus them to your location to work..

Wow! Thats exactly what I'm talking about. IMO, government doesn't want to stop illegal immigration because big business 'WANTS' (dirt cheap labor isn't needed) to employ these illegals. There was a lot of controversy here in Memphis because the contractor that was building local company's corporate headquarters was using illegal aliens and only paying them $6 an hour. Thats just not right. The more that companies and individuals demand cheap labor, the larger the supply will get. Simple economics.

The time is now, more than ever before, for us to control our porous borders. It's true that the government really doesn't really want to enforce our laws against illegally entering this country, and that's a travesty! The world changed with 911. We can't afford NOT to control our borders. It's just as easy for a member of Al Kaida to sneak across as a Mexican. I'm all for legal immigration. I married an immigrant. If we need more labor from Mexico, let's increase the level of LEGAL immigration instead of tolerating a steady flow of illegals. It's for our national security that we must do this.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we CAN control our borders. I believe we should build a fence just like the one that was built between San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico. It is estimated that the fence would cost 2 to 3 billion dollars. That's chicken feed when compared to the added national security such a fence would bring.

Stop it? No. Cut back on it, yes.

Make federal minimum mandatory sentences of 5 years for the CEO's of companies caught hiring illegals.

Archived