University Village of Tallahassee

Florida

The Village At Tallahassee

NewVillage.jpg

Located at the Southwest Corner of Macomb and Call Streets, this four building, 147 unit condo will be the larger of the two proposed by ADAR. One of the buildings is designed to be 100 ft tall or 9 stories tall with a peaked roof. From appearances the building will be mixed use, with a pedestrian plaza fountains and an onsite pool.

It may be a market rate complex, which is what Im hoping for, but we'll keep our fingers crossed on this one.

I like the location.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of them, but the symphany is the one that is directly across copeland from the music school. I think they will help that sid eof downtown alot. i think they will be close enough to each other to prevent any infill between them. the fine arts building could use a parking garage, maybe ADAR will go 50-50 for half the spots...but i doubt it.

that would be nice, maybe some retail incorporated. It would help for things like the homecoming parade and being in proximity to fsu's music, perfoming, and visual arts. Students are willing to pay and hike up the hill from the civic center, and i would park by the intermural fields for my class in Diffenbaugh, so the gravel lot on tennessee isnt really that far away. The top of the hill is definatly one of the most difficult locations to find parking.

I think FSU wastes alot of real estate which is why it finds itself in its landlocked situation. I'd like to see the school invest in either purchasing or working with those homes near campus to make them more asthetically pleasing, because they are currently an embarrasment.

"well the parking garage is the whole reason FSU opposes this, its not the actual building itself. FSU could build a parking garage on that gravel lot if it wants to. "

That is not true at all. FSU long ago had a plan to build a parking garage in the lot next to the school of theatre. The parking garage is not the reason FSU has issue with the Symphony.

"I think FSU wastes alot of real estate which is why it finds itself in its landlocked situation. I'd like to see the school invest in either purchasing or working with those homes near campus to make them more asthetically pleasing, because they are currently an embarrasment. "

FSU is landlocked for a few reasons..

*The state wont' fund it. A UF dominated legistature for all but the last 10-20 years never gave FSU the money it needed to buy land. It still doesn't today but now it is because the state doesn't fund higher ed well.

*Even when the state gives FSU money for land acquisition, the rules are so cumbersome and unruly, that they can't compete against private developers.

*They didn't plan well.

But wasting land? No, that has nothing to do with it.

The homes near campus aren't owned by FSU...what do you expect FSU to do?

• 3 weeks later...

Democrate Reports that a county judge ruled in favor of the city and Adar developers on all four charges as part of FSU's attempt to decrease the size of the Village. They have the chance to appeal, but nothing has been stated about that yet. Hopefully FSU has enough to worry about, and can spend the legal fees on the mascot fight and leave these condos alone.

Side note, are thre any renderings of this...or a website?

The latest rendering is at the top... it scanned a bit different than it looks on hard copy, but if you'd like I can try another scan... the village is actually 3 buildings with the tallest being the 9 story tower shown above... it is truly massive in size, but it fronts Macomb Street so it would fit right in with the whole downtown renissance and frenchtown renissance in progress...

I'm glad to hear the news about the legalities, and hopefully FSU will take this Mascot thing more serious than they do having new neighbors.

LOL @ T.K... I meant no offense when I spoke out against him at that city commission meeting back in March... but I had to do what I had to do.

Yeah that sign has come down several times... I think they may put it back up once they clear the property... from the sounds of things, pre sales on the Symphony went very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived