University Village of Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

I am a contributing writer for the FSView and Florida Flambeau. I was assigned a story on this issue and would was wondering if anyone of you would like to make a comment regarding The Symphony Condominiums or the Village . . . whether or not you think they're a good idea, etc . . . basically what you guys have been tossing around here on this board.

My story deadline is Saturday, September 3rd by 8pm (quick, I know) and I would be glad to talk with you via email or phone. If you're interested in getting your opinions on the matter heard, please just drop me an email at slnashATgmail.com and let me know when/how I can contact you.

Thanks!

I spoke with our friend from FSU... I hope you all don't mind, but I told her she could quote anything she saw here with regard to our conversation and I also put in that plug for affordable... what I forgot to ask her to do, and I will call her as soon as I finish this post... is to put in a plug for UrbanPlanet... in a "for more information on these projects and many more" kinda way. Let me go do that.

The article was published this past Monday (or Tuesday, I guess - since routes might not all have run because of the holiday). They did include the link as well as general concerns you guys had . . . if I goofed on anything - let me know!

Otherwise, hope traffic flow increases with the small publicity. Look for the skyline starting November 1st of this year and ending Nov. of 2006. I plan to do follow-ups, so keep me informed of any changes you guys might hear about!

Thanks for all your help - especially TaureanJ. :thumbsup:

(By the way, I love the board - I have "joined" and made a post about food in Tally.)

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some updates taken of the renderings I have. Still no scanner, but hopefully these shots came out better than the last.

VillageColor.jpg

The Village Complex

VillageSitePlan.jpg

The Village Site Plan

OutterBuildingColor.jpg

The Village Outter Building

OutterBuilding2Color.jpg

The Village Outter Building 2

VillageFront.jpg

Black & White View of The Village

RearofVillageComplex.jpg

Black & White View Rear of Village Complex

RearofMainBuilding.jpg

Black & White view of Main Building

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This project is still a go, but The Symphony must move forward first.

I'm sure the developer would like to get both projects up and out of the ground quickly, but ADAR doesn't want to compete against itself in terms of sales. Taking it one project at a time is best for this company.

I say we'll see more of The Village once they can see how successful The Symphony will be, and possibly asses the market demands... there's the possibility that they might seek changes for the Village, to market toward a more casual buyer as opposed to a person in the luxury market... or vice versa. Maybe even make it a condominium complex that students can afford...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder why they'd even waste the money to relocate them when they can just tear them down.

I'm still waiting on more news about this project from the Tallahassee Democrat, or from the city's Growth Management Dept. My pump for ADAR is kinda dry. Communication with this company isn't easy. I've tried several times. To get some answers for these projects. I'm very interested in knowing if The Village will be apartments or condos. And if they are condos, will they be affordable for students.

I do know that FORUM Architects is working on The Village, and I haven't been to their website in a while, so I'll get over and look around to see if I can find something there.

Poonther, do you think you can write your girl, Juana Jordan at the TD to see if she can do an update on The Village?

There was a story Thursday (I think) about the parking garage next door, being built by FSU at Macomb and Tennessee. I saw some posts earlier in this thread about parking being a point of contention for FSU and their approval of this project.

I guess that was resolved since they are already going up with the garage? With a large parking garage facing Tennessee just a few blocks down (next to the federal building at Bronough), and a proposed parking garage between CK Steele and the Floridan, is Tennessee St. going to start looking strange?

There was a story Thursday (I think) about the parking garage next door, being built by FSU at Macomb and Tennessee. I saw some posts earlier in this thread about parking being a point of contention for FSU and their approval of this project.

I guess that was resolved since they are already going up with the garage? With a large parking garage facing Tennessee just a few blocks down (next to the federal building at Bronough), and a proposed parking garage between CK Steele and the Floridan, is Tennessee St. going to start looking strange?

My hope is things will start to look more like a downtown and less like a slummy pass-thru area. The strip of Tennessee Street from Monroe to Dewey just looks awful to me. I think the Fulmer Gun and Pawn, the Greyhound, the Transmission Place, the Chinese Restaurant, the T-Shirt place, the Shelter, the other shelter, the Mike's Beer Barn, The Maytag Store... and some others I can't think of... are really a blight to the area.

Greyhound needs to remodel. The rest of them need to move.

My hope is things will start to look more like a downtown and less like a slummy pass-thru area. The strip of Tennessee Street from Monroe to Dewey just looks awful to me. I think the Fulmer Gun and Pawn, the Greyhound, the Transmission Place, the Chinese Restaurant, the T-Shirt place, the Shelter, the other shelter, the Mike's Beer Barn, The Maytag Store... and some others I can't think of... are really a blight to the area.

Greyhound needs to remodel. The rest of them need to move.

Amen to that TJ.....move 'em all out if they can't clean themselves up! It's embarrassing to take visitors through that section of Tennessee Street.

Amen to that TJ.....move 'em all out if they can't clean themselves up! It's embarrassing to take visitors through that section of Tennessee Street.

That's exactly how I feel. We pride ourselves on our beauty, and Tallahassee is a very beautiful city overall, but in key areas, and especially on a main street like W. Tennessee there is no reason to see what is currently there. In a way I feel like the government has let us down, by putting so much pressure on those trying to bring in new quality developments, and not enough pressure on old, urban decay.

Archived