University Village of Tallahassee

Florida

The Shelter has repainted their bldg. and it does look a little better, but I agree this is an ugly area of town.

No updates about The Village. "My girl" as you call her over at the Democrat does biz type updates and there really isn't biz news w/this project. The Tenn/Monroe tower is different b/c long-time business, BP, will be closing, so that's really her angle on the story. Sorry.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could have sworn it was her that did the original article on The Village. I'll figure out who it was and shoot them an e-mail.

I'd think you were right about that too. Maybe I just used up my allotment of questions for the week. I'll try and hit her up w/it later next week.

I'd think you were right about that too. Maybe I just used up my allotment of questions for the week. I'll try and hit her up w/it later next week.

LOL! :lol: They do have a way of making you feel like you've asked too many questions. I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Michael Parker before leaving work this afternoon. He informed me that not much activity is going on with the Symphony and The Village as the cost of verticle construction has gone up over the past few months with the rising cost in cement and steel. I don't think this will halt construction at all, but developers will probably need time to come up with a creative way to build the extra cost into the price of the unit. This is why many of those units being proposed are upscale and expensive... because otherwise, they'd be plain and expensive. And there's probably a slow down at this point, because builders probably haven't figured out a way to construct the affordable units.

Poonther, don't worry about the Tallahassee Democrat.... I'll go straight to the horse's mouth.

It would not be hard to believe that this forum might be a better source of news about local development than the Democrat.

That being said, here is their article about the parking garage that is going in next to The Village site:

Imagine a lot of cars here

Construction of parking facility under way

By Diane Hirth

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

Story on tallahassee.com

bildeSiteCDDate20060105CategoryNEWS.jpg

I think that garage is going to look nice on that corner. I almost laughed when somehwere in the artlce they called the building a tower. LOL! Ok.

It's kinda disappointing we couldn't get a Village Update to go with this. I promised I'd write ADAR, I haven't forgotten. I'll do it today.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It appears the village has new life. I've tired to contact Mr. Adar about the start date for this project, but I've been unable to reach him at this time. But I'm not giving up. Meanwhile, we've got a new rendering for the project, its not a high rise building, but for that location, it doesn't need to be. The design is still urban and the perception is these units will be affordable if built.

TheVillage.jpg

It appears the village has new life. I've tired to contact Mr. Adar about the start date for this project, but I've been unable to reach him at this time. But I'm not giving up. Meanwhile, we've got a new rendering for the project, its not a high rise building, but for that location, it doesn't need to be. The design is still urban and the perception is these units will be affordable if built.

TheVillage.jpg

I agree TJ it doesn't have to be a highrise - just contemporary! I think that it looks absolutely beautiful. It certainly looks better than what's there now. It's all about moving forward and this project certainly does move us forward (I hope).

• 9 months later...

University Village UP{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}date

ChateaudeVille035.jpg

147 res 35k retail

Great news Tallahassee! ADAR has finally publicly released plans for the Village Condominiums and they are grand. Signs have been posted along Macomb street this week as well as at the Symphony Site. I spoke with a representitive today from the ADAR office who tells me the units are being made available for sale as the developer finalizes the price plan. The hope is to have most of the details finalized soon. It appears to me that the company is gauging interest in the units at this time. But the representitive I spoke with indicated plans for 35,000 retail, and 147 high-end condo units. I'm very excited!

not sure, but looking at all the unoccupied units, in our other recent downtown developments, the time is not right. that coupled with the fact that fsu wants that land for it's master plan, it might be of financial benefit just to sit, hold, and sell to fsu for the right price.

But note, those units did initially sell to speculators. The recently completed projects are all 90% or more sold. Its the resales that aren't going to well, for people who figured they would hold onto a condo for a year, double the price and resale it. That's what I don't think we have the market for right now. But if someone was able to come in offering reasonable prices for reasonable space Tallahasseeans would move to purchase. I'd really like to see something that people can rent.

Yeah, you may be right about the location. But the property was purchased before the prices went crazy, which gives me the feeling that perhaps the developer may have something more affordable in mind. But then again, this is America where greed is pardoned, so perhaps I'm being nieve about that.

I just purchased a condo myself, and I know of many of this year's graduates who are also looking to purchase something similar. The first thing I did was call Plaza Tower, nothing remaining in my price range, everything left is over 200,000. Called Tallahassee Center, same story. Tennyson is out of the question, way to expensive, and there was ONE at the Cloisters that I was really leaning towards, 900 sq.ft. for 150,000 but I had to step back and think about it. Ultimately, I ended up outside of downtown, but I'm still confident there's a market for Condominiums here if we can make them affordable somehow.

Archived