Other Oklahoma Cities

jdsplaypin

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are probably right about there not being enough okies here. you are the first one besides me that i have seen in months.

anyway on to the city experience. i've been to lawton though its been a few years. i remember it being dirty and boering. nothing there, besides ft. sill. is there really any other city besides that, that isnt part of the 2 metros?

I haven't been to very many places in Oklahoma. I've been to Tulsa and I've been through Oklahoma City on my way to Albuquerque. I'm not sure how big any of these cities are but how about Bartlesville, Enid, or Ardmore? I know none of those are very big and certainly nothing like the two main metros. I guess in some ways that makes Oklahoma seems a little more like a western state. Many of those have some sizeable cities much much of the state is lowly populated.

I quess im looking for discussion about "towns" such as broken arrow, enid, edmond, norman, muskogee, bartlesville, lawton, stillwater i quess ardmore, etc... but this topic will have to wait until some more people from OK register... which could be awhile. In stillwater there is a housing boom because everyone from cushing, perkins, ponca city, and perry are all moving here. there's been more housing permits in the first 6 months here than there were all last year. The average cost of these new homes exceeds 200k. Stillwater also is home to the new & only Oklahoma Tech & Research park which is currently evaluating 120 high tech corporations to move into the area. Also a new shopping center is planned which will attract department stores, retail, and many new restaurants. This year we will have obtained a Rib Crib, Q'doba "mexican", Buffalo Wild Wings, Bill's fish house, a super china buffet, Hardback Cafe, panera bread, Johnnies and a new walmart supercenter... our second, and a supertarget is being proposed.

I live in Edmond... It's not really a place for young trendy people to hang out.

But it is a great place to raise a family with some of the best schools in the state. All three Edmond High Schools made the Newsweek list as some of the best high schools in the nation ( 1000 schools rated, top 4% in the US). So that's a plus.

Edmond has a low crime rate, higher than average education stats (lots of college educated professionals), lots of upscale executive homes, lots of expensive cars. I think some people tend to be a little smug at times. But most I've met are down to earth.

We do have great amenities such as medical facilities, shopping malls, movies, restaurants, lakes, trees and rolling hills (very small hills :rolleyes: ) but still a lot of greenery. Universities, waterparks, sports fields, skate parks, golf courses, etc.

Let's see, off the top - within about 10 minutes in any direction, we have PF Cheungs, Bravo Italian, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIF, Chilis, Abuelos, Teds, Pablanos, Great Wall of China, Outback, Charlestons, On the Border, InterUrban just to name a few...plus throw in lots of fast food establishments.

There is Quail Springs Mall and a huge theatre AMC...

Bronze sculptures line the downtown area where you will see a lot of small original shops - some antique stores and small restaurants. There are plenty of festivals, music, parades ... all of the small town fun stuff for families and kids.

Like I mentioned, it's a great place to raise kids but not a lot of big city excitement.

I live in Edmond... It's not really a place for young trendy people to hang out. 

But it is a great place to raise a family with some of the best schools in the state.  All three Edmond High Schools made the Newsweek list as some of the best high schools in the nation ( 1000 schools rated, top 4% in the US).  So that's a plus. 

Edmond has a low crime rate, higher than average education stats (lots of college educated professionals), lots of upscale executive homes, lots of expensive cars.  I think some people tend to be a little smug at times.  But most I've met are down to earth.

We do have great amenities such as medical facilities, shopping malls, movies, restaurants, lakes, trees and rolling hills (very small hills  :rolleyes: ) but still a lot of greenery. Universities, waterparks, sports fields, skate parks, golf courses, etc.

Let's see, off the top - within about 10 minutes in any direction, we have PF Cheungs, Bravo Italian, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIF, Chilis, Abuelos, Teds, Pablanos, Great Wall of China, Outback, Charlestons, On the Border, InterUrban just to name a few...plus throw in lots of fast food establishments.

There is Quail Springs Mall and a huge theatre AMC... 

Bronze sculptures line the downtown area where you will see a lot of small original shops - some antique stores and small restaurants.  There are plenty of festivals, music, parades ... all of the small town fun stuff for families and kids. 

Like I mentioned, it's a great place to raise kids but not a lot of big city excitement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes edmond is very nice, but alot of the things you mentioned like quail springs mall, amc theaters, pf changs, bravo, etc, etc.. are in oklahoma city. :)

yes edmond is very nice, but alot of the things you mentioned like quail springs mall, amc theaters, pf changs, bravo, etc, etc.. are in oklahoma city. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you are right but you must have skimmed over my post: :blush:

"Let's see, off the top - within about 10 minutes in any direction, we have PF Cheungs, Bravo Italian, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIF, Chilis, Abuelos, Teds, Pablanos, Great Wall of China, Outback, Charlestons, On the Border, InterUrban just to name a few...plus throw in lots of fast food establishments.

There is Quail Springs Mall and a huge theatre AMC... "

Anyway, I live in Edmond north of 150th - on the border of OKC and most people I know think of the area North and West surrounding Quail Springs mall as Edmond (possibly because the area has Edmond mailing addresses and Edmond schools) - strange boundaries- some people pay OKC taxes and utiliites while still enjoying Edmond schools and mailing addresses, the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Yes, you are right but you must have skimmed over my post:  :blush:

"Let's see, off the top - within about 10 minutes in any direction, we have PF Cheungs, Bravo Italian, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIF, Chilis, Abuelos, Teds, Pablanos, Great Wall of China, Outback, Charlestons, On the Border, InterUrban just to name a few...plus throw in lots of fast food establishments.

There is Quail Springs Mall and a huge theatre AMC... " 

Anyway, I live in Edmond north of 150th - on the border of OKC and most people I know think of the area North and West surrounding Quail Springs mall as Edmond (possibly because the area has Edmond mailing addresses and Edmond schools) - strange boundaries- some people pay OKC taxes and utiliites while still enjoying Edmond schools and mailing addresses, the best of both worlds in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i didnt skim over it, i just thought you were implying that all that was in edmond. my bad.

i didnt skim over it, i just thought you were implying that all that was in edmond. my bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no problem, I was trying to describe Edmond to those who have never been or wanted information on a town other than OKC or Tulsa. It is amazing, I don't think a lot of people really have an idea of what OK does offer. That's why I like to visit forums so that I can meet others who feel that OK has a lot of potential.

( BTW, I came here because of your invite on OKCTalk :thumbsup: )

It's nice to have people tell us more about your state. I live next door in Arkansas so I probably know more than others but in no means am I an expert. I have seen some people arguing whether it should be in the 'southern' region. I've also seen the same argument with Texas, then again I think it matters what part of Texas you're thinking of. But just recently in another state's forum I noticed someone who thought Arkansas should be in the midwest region, which I found somewhat odd. Does anyone have any comments about how one area of Oklahoma compares to other areas? Where would you draw the line between southern and mid-west or west?

hey karried i thought that was you, thanks for checking this awesome place out.

and mith its hard to say were we can draw some lines. im not sure, but i think tulsa is usually described as more mid-west and okc as more southwest. could be wrong about tulsa, hopefully someone will know that for sure. the more i think about it the more i feel that ok and tx are in the south just not the deep south.

hey karried i thought that was you, thanks for checking this awesome place out.

and mith its hard to say were we can draw some lines. im not sure, but i think tulsa is usually described as more mid-west and okc as more southwest. could be wrong about tulsa, hopefully someone will know that for sure. the more i think about it the more i feel that ok and tx are in the south just not the deep south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I don't think either could be classified as deep south. For that matter I don't think many people in the southeast would consider Arkansas in that classification either. It is interesting that you would consider Oklahoma City as southwest. I guess I always imagined it as western. I guess it's just how you look at it. So then do you not consider any of Oklahoma having much of a 'southern' culture to it at all? And by that I don't mean as in 'deep south'. I guess I picture the deep south more confined to the southeast with other states that border them as a more broad definition of the south. I'm not sure about eastern Oklahoma, I know Tulsa is a bit north and probably closer to the midwest. But I wondered if any of say southeastern Oklahoma might be a little more like the 'south'. In my opinion I always thought of east Texas as 'southern'.

Fromdust, I'm dying to use some of your pictures on a national board discussing Oklahoma City. I always want to show off OKC to people who have no idea of how far we have come ... if you want to post yourself - check it out, if not, can I borrow some of your pics? This is a cool site and there is a small amount of OK info but I'm hoping to change that!

Whoa..... what are you implying? I was asking fromdust permission to borrow some of his photos for a national board discussing city projects across the nation. It might help if some people get to know more about Oklahoma and give our state a better image...

What the heck am I supposed to be changing? Sounds like a conspiracy fantasy or something.

I'm not directing anyone to anything, I was invited here by a post on another board..... otherwise I would have never found this board...

Are you saying if we visit here, we are not allowed to check out and post to other forums?

Directing people to other sites will not change anything :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are free to do as you wish at the other forums. You said "but I'm hoping to change that" - so you tell me what you hope to change. I believe that sending people elsewhere will not change anything here. This forum has grown to what it is becuase people come here to participate, not because they go elsewhere. So far we have accomplished this with out excessive linking to other forums. Perhaps it is somewhat one sided, but thats just how it is.

I appriciate your contribution and participation, Karried, as well as everyone else's here in the OK section. I enjoy reading everyones posts too, though I may not reply to all of them :)

there is a small amount of OK info but I'm hoping to change that!

I was hoping to change the amount of info on Oklahoma on the forum by adding pictures of OK city.

Obviously a big misunderstanding... :blush:

I try to portray a side of OK that some who have never visited may not even know exist and I do this by posting on national boards and travel forums the latest happenings and growth of our city. I was asking permission of fromdust to use photos to add to a national board discussing new projects in OKC.

I was wondering what you thought I was trying to do... trust me, I'm not trying to take anyone from this board or redirect them ....

Why on earth would I want to do that?

Don't you think by letting people on national boards know all that OK has to offer will encourage people to visit, bring business here or even relocate? Our economy and image needs people to say how much OK is growing. On this Skyscraper board, it asks all cities from across the nation to post pics of upcoming projects - that's all.

:rolleyes:

You are free to do as you wish at the other forums. You said "but I'm hoping to change that" - so you tell me what you hope to change. I believe that sending people elsewhere will not change anything here. This forum has grown to what it is becuase people come here to participate, not because they go elsewhere. So far we have accomplished this with out excessive linking to other forums. Perhaps it is somewhat one sided, but thats just how it is.

I appriciate your contribution and participation, Karried, as well as everyone else's here in the OK section. I enjoy reading everyones posts too, though I may not reply to all of them :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what it is, but I was in OK for 9 weeks, and I hated it, but I loved it, and I was all over, OKC, TUL, Ardmore, Enid, Stillwater, Ponca City, and several other smaller towns. I wish that I had taken pictures of the place, because it really did grow on me. If I had to live anywhere else other than Greenville, it would be Oklahoma or back home in Mass. Whatever you guys are doing out there, keep it up. I say that because where I work, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I don't know what it is, but I was in OK for 9 weeks, and I hated it, but I loved it, and I was all over, OKC, TUL, Ardmore, Enid, Stillwater, Ponca City, and several other smaller towns. I wish that I had taken pictures of the place, because it really did grow on me. If I had to live anywhere else other than Greenville, it would be Oklahoma or back home in Mass. Whatever you guys are doing out there, keep it up. I say that because where I work, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

most people i know including myself have a love hate for this place, but i am glad that you loved it more than the hate. how did you like okc?

OKC was an enigma. Big City, felt like a mix between Atlanta and Syracuse, NY. I liked it but I can't figure out why. The two buildings that I hated were the "Gold Dome" and the Tower behind it that they are renovating. Other than that, its a great city.

OKC was an enigma. Big City, felt like a mix between Atlanta and Syracuse, NY. I liked it but I can't figure out why. The two buildings that I hated were the "Gold Dome" and the Tower behind it that they are renovating. Other than that, its a great city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the tower behind it is UGLY, but i wouldnt mind living there when they are done with it

To me, even after they finish it, it's still going to be ugly. It's too bland and 60's or 70's. More like a ripoff of the FLW tower in Bartlesville. To me, if you wanted to live intown, high end, I'd say do something in Bricktown, the area in the downtown section would be prime for residential. That would more than likely stop the younger crowd from going to Dallas. That's only my opinion though.

Archived