Other Oklahoma Cities

jdsplaypin

To me, even after they finish it, it's still going to be ugly. It's too bland and 60's or 70's. More like a ripoff of the FLW tower in Bartlesville. To me, if you wanted to live intown, high end, I'd say do something in Bricktown, the area in the downtown section would be prime for residential. That would more than likely stop the younger crowd from going to Dallas. That's only my opinion though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that building WAS inspired by frank lloyd wrights tower in bartlesville. it is going to be condos, probably more expensive than the younger crowd could afford. i think in the $200 grand mark. not that all of them couldnt afford something like that though.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if there were any people from OK that posted here anymore they could help me out with ardmore. i dont know much about this town except that it has several distribution centers. the area has a dollar general, dollar tree, dot foods, and a best buy dis. center. ardmore is also home to a large michellin tire plant.

durant. i know a little about this town only because i drive 2 and a half hours to work there. this is a fast growing town with about 14,500 residents. it to is also home to a distribution center. big lots has one here. when i came here for the first time i was surprised to see so many doctors offices. it also houses a decent sized medical center. i come to find out that it services some of the texoma region. with so many doctors, and bankers, and lawyers durant has some really nice neighborhoods. one of them reminds me of a smaller version of gaillardia here in the city. very nice! it is also home of south eastern ok state. (dennis rodman played here.) and that is about all i know of this town.

• 2 months later...

The best thing about Lawton is the Wichita Mountains. It is one of the most popular recreation destinations in Oklahoma and North Texas. It really is a beautiful area.

T054525A.jpg

f_wich_treas.jpg

climbing.jpg

Notice the climbers in the last picture.

I am from Edmond like Karried, but I go to school at Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee, which is about 30 minutes east of Oklahoma City. Shawnee is home to another college, St. Gregory's (Oklahoma's only Catholic college) and a really unique Sante Fe depot. St. Gregory's has the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art which was the only American host of the Etruscan Treasures exhibit last year which featured many ancient artifacts from the Vatican. OBU is a small liberal arts institution which ranks #2 in the west for comprehensive bachelor's schools according to US News. OBU has the oldest nursing program in the state, as well as the strongest broadcasting program in the state and one of the best music schools.

02636_H2.jpg

the depot

1104.jpg

St. Gregory's

thurmond_hall.jpg

OBU's Administration Building

n79800100_30012060_6043.jpg

OBU's Raley Chapel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics JBrown84. Including the ones I missed earlier of the Wichita Mtns. I've wanted to do some nature photography over in Oklahoma but wasn't sure where to go. I didn't want to go all the way over into western Oklahoma and realize it wasn't what I was expecting.

^Did you guys get a lot of snow?

It's nice to hear from you JBrown, sorry I don't post over here a lot, I'll try to make more of an effort to post here.

Great pics as well!!!

We did get a pretty good amount of snow a few days ago, but it's melted already.

I can't claim the pics though. A friend of mine took them.

Thanks for the pics JBrown84. Including the ones I missed earlier of the Wichita Mtns. I've wanted to do some nature photography over in Oklahoma but wasn't sure where to go. I didn't want to go all the way over into western Oklahoma and realize it wasn't what I was expecting.

Yeah the Wichitas are a huge surprise to most people when they first go there. Even Oklahomans don't realize what we have down there.

I can give you a good list of places for nature photography if you want. There's a lot of places and a lot of variety. According to the EPA, Oklahoma has the most diverse terrain in America mile-for-mile. We are one of only 4 states with more than 10 "ecoregions" and only California has more than us. In other words you'll find 11 distinct kinds of terrain in Oklahoma, from desert sand dunes to cypress swamps to salt plains and pine-covered mountains.

Yeah the Wichitas are a huge surprise to most people when they first go there. Even Oklahomans don't realize what we have down there.

I can give you a good list of places for nature photography if you want. There's a lot of places and a lot of variety. According to the EPA, Oklahoma has the most diverse terrain in America mile-for-mile. We are one of only 4 states with more than 10 "ecoregions" and only California has more than us. In other words you'll find 11 distinct kinds of terrain in Oklahoma, from desert sand dunes to cypress swamps to salt plains and pine-covered mountains.

Yeah I've heard about that. I've seen some interesting pics of Oklahoma but a lot of times I'm never able to find out where it was taken. I wouldn't mind finding out more over there.

Yeah I've heard about that. I've seen some interesting pics of Oklahoma but a lot of times I'm never able to find out where it was taken. I wouldn't mind finding out more over there.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know a lot about Oklahoma's backcountry/outdoors, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know a lot about Oklahoma's backcountry/outdoors, etc.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and start now. Is there any place that you'd recommend yourself? Although I'll have to admit I'll probably be more interested in western Oklahoma. I know many people in Okalhoma appreciate the eastern part of the state but keep in mind that part is similar the part of the state I live in here in Arkansas. Although maybe I wouldn't mind trying to check out a little of the Oklahoma Ouchitas one of these days.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and start now. Is there any place that you'd recommend yourself? Although I'll have to admit I'll probably be more interested in western Oklahoma. I know many people in Okalhoma appreciate the eastern part of the state but keep in mind that part is similar the part of the state I live in here in Arkansas. Although maybe I wouldn't mind trying to check out a little of the Oklahoma Ouchitas one of these days.

I can definitely understand your desire to see the parts that look less like eastern Arkansas. Here's some recommendations for nature photography or just visiting.

Chickasaw National Recreation Area

Formerly Platt National Park, this park is one of the most visited for it's size in the NPS and next will be only the seventh park to celebrate it's 100th birthday. There are lots of trails in the historic part of the park, which was established because of its many freshwater and mineral springs. The park is also important as an ecotone, a place where two major areas converge--in this case the eastern hardwoods and the central plains. I especially recommend the Bromide Hill hike which takes you across the creek and switchbacks up the side of the steep hill and has great views.

Turner Falls

This could easily be seen on the same trip. It's only about 10 or 12 miles south of Chickasaw in the Arbuckle Mountains. At 75 feet this is Oklahoma's tallest waterfall and is really impressive because it's not just a thin little ribbon, but a huge 30-40 foot wide cascade. Go in the spring or fall when there is more water and it is even more impressive. There's several good swimming holes here and some short trails as well.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

You could spend several days here and not see it all. This is the oldest and most visited National Wildlife Refuge in the country. There are lots of opportunities, including amazing rock climbing (drawing climbers from across the southwest), wildlife viewing, scenic driving, hiking, backcountry camping, car camping, fishing, scuba diving, birdwatching, and an excellent visitors center. There are also two really neat historical towns on the edges of the Refuge. Medicine Park was a turn-of-the-century summer resort that has had a major revival recently and includes restaurants, art galleries, shops, and bed and breakfasts. The unique cobblestone architecture is a draw all by itself. Meers is an old gold rush boomtown that doesn't consist of much anymore besides the famous Meers Restaurant, which is not to be missed.

Roman Nose State Resort Park

This park has a very "western" feel to it. It is a little tree-filled canyon that was a major camp for Native Americans crossing the plains. The main attraction is the park's springs, particularly the "Spring of Everlasting Waters" which gushes thousands of gallons a second. It's quite spectacular.

Red Rock Canyon State Park

This park is a pleasant surprise in the middle of relatively flat Western Oklahoma. This sheer red sandstone canyon is a favorite of rappellers and has some great hikes and mountain biking, and camping. The slickrock above the canyon will remind you of Moab, Utah.

Little Sahara State Park

This remnant of the Dust Bowl has been used in commercials and films to substitute for the African desert. Dune buggiers abound but even if you just want to see the 40-50 foot dunes it's worth a trip.

Great Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge

This is not the most exciting place to visit but it is definitely different and worth a trip, especially if you are interested in nature photography. This vast dried lakebed is probably the best place to see salt plains in the US other than the Great Salt Lake.

Hope these ideas help. The state parks can be found on www.touroklahoma.com, Chickasaw NRA can be found at the National Park Service website (www.nps.gov), and the wildlife refuges can be found on the NWR website.

Thanks for all the info Jbrown84. Some of those places I've heard of but never saw much info to let me know if I thought it might be something I'd be interested in seeing like Roman Nose. But I guess I shouldn't ignore eastern Oklahoma. No offense to northeast Oklahoma but I think I've been too spoiled on the Arkansas Ozarks to want to see a whole lot there. Now I haven't been to the Arkansas sections of the Ouchitas a lot. I also get the impression that Okalhoma has some pretty nice sections of the Ouchitas as well. I've been on part of the Talimena scenic drive, maybe I need to check out the whole thing sometime and also see what Oklahoma has to offer in their section of the Ouachitas.

Archived