Hemming Plaza & Vicinity

Captain Obvious

I took a walk around town last week. The overall bustle and vibrancy of the Hemming Plaza area really impressed me. A few short years ago, downtown Jacksonville would have never seemed as alive as it did that day.

Also, I'm still paranoid about talking photos of people. I can't help but feel that it's rude. So when you see people in my shots, it's often by accident - they walked into the frame, or I couldn't avoid them in the building shots. I wish I had been a little more bold, because there were some really great vibrant crowds of people hanging around. (Some of it might have been because of the "farmers market," but I think it was mostly just people walking around and eating lunch.)

july05059.jpg

july05067.jpg

july05065.jpg

I had lunch at the Cafe Nola in JMOMA. Expensive, but very good.

july05063.jpg

That owl is ... strange. But it doesn't look too tacky.

july05049.jpg

july05048.jpg

july05069.jpg

july05070.jpg

A good sign: The city is applying to refurbish the Snyder Church's roof.

july05060.jpg

From the skyway station. Some security guard yelled at me because, "taking photos on the skyway is not allowed without permission." Jerk.

july05047.jpg

And the vicinity of Hemming Plaza ...

july05045.jpg

july05053.jpg

The Carling is now open. I personally like the big red sign.

july05054.jpg

While the Lerner Lofts seem to have stopped dead in their tracks.

july05057.jpg

july05055.jpg

Until next time ...

july05032.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics. Hemming has come a long way in the 18 months that I've been here. It should get a big boost from the new library and city's relocation into the Ed Ball and old YMCA buildings. Hopefully, we'll see the development of more lofts on the upper floors of the smaller buildings in that area.

Oh no, I think I'm going to be sick......home sick that is.

Great thread. Imagine all that onece all these planned developments are completed.

PS: You may photograph the Skyway as you please from public property and even on the terminal there must be posted signs warning of the restriction. If it's not posted, snap away.

Those are beautiful shots. Thank you for your contributions!

Seeing people in those pictures walking and interacting with each other in ways other than waiting at a red light reminds me of living in Boston. Take a look at Boston's Central Library (which I walked by and visited frequently) and compare it to ours. What do you think?

bos%20public%20library.JPG

july05049.jpg

Though not in Hemming Plaza, I have another shot of a church to go along with yours. Which one is it?

ImmaculateConception.jpg

july05060.jpg

What a way to showcase Downtown. Maybe the CVB should hire you for its efforts.

Great pictures. 10 years ago Hemming Park was a ghost town and fairly dangerous. Now, it is like the city's front yard and a meeting place for lunch or breaks. It all started with the renovation of the old Cohen Brothers store into City Hall. While I wish it was still a department store and this was a shopping area, this is the next best thing. Now, let's get the county courthouse over there and off the river.

JaxNole: I have been in the Boston Library also and it is beautiful. I wish cities still built civic buildings of this quality. I think the Jacksonville Library will be nice but it is a pale imitation of the Boston Library.

These are some of the best pics of the CBD I've seen! I love Hemming Plaza, and I can't wait until the library opens, so I could spend the day down there; reading, going online, going to JMOMA, eating at the slightly overpriced Cafe Nola....

I too remember when Hemming was a ghost town, and it was dead. I hope lots more residential units come to the vicinity!

Archived