How is Jacksonville Florida's Largest City?

gjoseph

One thing I like about Jax is that it embodies the same North Florida Charm as Tallahassee with its beautiful trees, however in addition it has its costal areas, its nice roads, the river over which that nice bridge runs, an NFL football team and a rather nice downtown. For a city to have so much Jax is a humble place, a quality I most admire in a city of any size. I've seen rough area in Jax, but its no where close to being the grittiest city in Florida... you've got to drive further south for that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know why people think these forums are a platform for such silly things... the closest thing to this sillyness i have ever posted was using hydro, wind, adn ocean currents to collar the power crisis. But now it seems that people want to bury cities rather than just talk about "current development news."

I realize that Super Bowls are the perfect way to decide how a city is doing ( :huh: ) and populations give a city "power" ( :rolleyes:). I am officially more interested in the pictures posted than the reply's typed. Pictures really capture our cities... not this bickering crap. If the Urbanplanet creators dissagree with me, i would be shocked. LETS GET BACK TO THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its because of the disparity in what exactly "city limits" means between states and even counties within states, that nobody uses this measure to guage a city's relative importance to other cities. Basically city limits is nothing more than a line that determines political representation and taxation.

Sure Jacksonville has the largest population contained by a city limits in Fla.

You're correct about the tourism factor.  Many, many decades ago it was a national destination but then people realized Florida kept going south for another 350 miles.

I think in 20 years what we'll see is a state that has several high quality cities  which few states can flaunt.  Texas and California being the only two that come to mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many, many decades ago people realized that the further south you got the more warmer and attractive it was than North Florida; so instead of stopping at Jacksonville they kept going to the warmer more tropical parts of Florida, thereby causing Jax to lose population and its premier status. Remember, before 1960, Jacksonville was the number one city in Florida in population, commerce, industry and stature. Even after consolidation it did not regain any of these. Only in the last 6 to 8 years has Jacksonville begun to bounce back and finally challenge the other major Florida cities.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Miami/Fort Lauderdale had already overtaken Jax in status, and population, about 30 years earlier, during the 1930's. Metro Tampa was also challenging it as far back as the 1940/50s. Jax's population, like many other cities, with a heavy industrial base and small city limits, began to decline when long-time industrial engines (like shipbuilding) started going downhill and white flight and sprawl led to the creation of booming suburban areas like the Southside and Orange Park.

I know Jacksonville has the largest boundaries in the lower 48,

but what about NYC, doesnt the city cover 4 counties (boroughs)

Houston, TX which is allmost all of Harris county, and two other sorrounding counties.

Also, is Augusta, Ga consolidated with Richmond County?

Miami/Fort Lauderdale had already overtaken Jax in status, and population, about 30 years earlier, during the 1930's.  Metro Tampa was also challenging it as far back as the 1940/50s.  Jax's population, like many other cities, with a heavy industrial base and small city limits, began to decline when long-time industrial engines (like shipbuilding) started going downhill and white flight and sprawl led to the creation of booming suburban areas like the Southside and Orange Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I agree, but it also didn't help that people from other areas of the country were not pegging Jax as a destination to "live;" They instead chose Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa area, and later Orlando.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Like Tampa/St. Pete the region has always enjoyed steady growth, but it hasn't had the type of factors that caused the booms of Orlando and the Miami area. But what could we expect, after all, up until the early 1990's it did have a smelly paper mill operating just north of downtown.

Like Tampa/St. Pete the region has always enjoyed steady growth, but it hasn't had the type of factors that caused the booms of Orlando and the Miami area.  But what could we expect, after all, up until the early 1990's it did have a smelly paper mill operating just north of downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree wholeheartedly Lakelander, I agree. But we must not discount the fact that "big Jax" has come a long way and is finally beginning to reap the fruits of its labor, i.e., the Jaguars, more business seeking to move here, great economy, and a population boom. All in Jax's favor!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

http://flickr.com/photos/ryanketterman/10784654/

that's an amazing shot.  Jacksonville looks fantastic from this angle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great shot from that angle Hisma; just think what that would look like with additional 400, 500, and 600 footers extending North and west....would make for some extremely heavy density when shot from this same angle!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

http://flickr.com/photos/ryanketterman/27605843/

Try this image.  It shows a wider view adding in the Southbank and Sports district.

Just by judging the locations of the Southbank developments, it will looks as dense or more so once all that's UC/approved/proposed are completed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm Hmm; but more density on the Northbank near the water, and potholes from that point North into the skyline. Jax has a great skyline but Northbank needs more scrapers that's for sure! Southbank will soon overtake Northbank and provide a denser, heavier apperance!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• 4 months later...

Archived