How is Jacksonville Florida's Largest City?

gjoseph

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what, this topic is getting kind of old (I'm not a person that likes to dwell in defense and "but umm, ahh" conversations, but I just read the original page to this topic, and the first post is a little unwaranted. First of all, the Jax metro is 1.25 mil, and Duval is only 840000 people, so the other 410000 people have to live in the burbs. Second of all, because Jax encompasses so much land area, of course most of the people will be in the city limits rather than in the burbs. Orlando has what, 150,000 people, and a metro of 2 mil? Obviously their city limits are TINY, and so 90% of the people have to live in the suburbs.

Regarding culture and diversity, Jacksonville may not have all the Hispanics that Miami has, but being an old city with quite a history with Afro Americans, we have a pretty good percent African Americans (I think it is like 65-30-5: white-black-Hispanic), in fact it may be a more even distribution. There is also no other city in FL with as much of an array of very different neighborhoods as Jacksonville, and I have been to all the major cities of FL multiple times. Jacksonville has several distinct and different old neighborhoods each with its own characteristics, it has apartment sprawl communities much like the rest of FL, it has redneck save the confederacy whole sections of town, it has a fairly decent sized ghetto with a variety of people, we DO have a MExican neighborhood, we the beaches with surfers in Atlantic BEach and rich northern transplants and old retirees in Ponte Vedra, we have suburbanite gated communities all over, a couple good Bohemian/artist neighborhoods (Springfield and Riverside), etc., so we do have it all as a matter of fact.

And finally, due to political borders, we are hands down the largest city in FL regarding population and land area!

I'm sry if I offended anyone but yes I understand if I had someone trashing my city I would defend it but I still think it's not 'fair' to call it Florida's largest city as it's title why not call it Florida's largest city in land mass because i'm sure if Miami or Tampa were to have the city size of Jax Miami would be 'florida's largest city' and then tampa might be 2nd.....I mean Miami metro has 5 million and Tampa metro has over 2.5 million I think but to me it's not fair!

yES i KNO life is not fair but jacksonville having the title as florida's largest city ain't right....but yes I've finally travelled to Jax and it is a very nice city just get's pretty cold in winter lol

-Gerald

Well, as far as cities go in FLA, Jax always had the most pop. then it consolidated and got the largest city limits. THere are a lot of medium sized FLA cities with large city limits that are the result of recent annexation as well.

Personally, I think there is a direct correlation between the actual city population and downtown development. That's why Orlando has been so underdeveloped downtown until this last decade. So, if its larger, spread the word. werd.

Archived