Which restaurants do you miss?

mediamongrel

I can remember some restaurants from when I lived near Winston that have since closed and a few near Charlotte. Anyone remember Bennigan's on North Pointe? How about the Darryl's also on North Pointe in Winston and over on the east side of Greensboro? Chi-Chi's was my favorite "chain" mexican restaurant on Independence in Matthews. In Winston I seem to remember a mexican restaurant near the mall as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Mexican restaurant at Hanes Mall was Chi Chi's as well. It turned into a Don Pablo's(at some point) and is now empty (any interested restaurantuer please take note, Winston needs all the restaurants we can get, just try to get a table Thursday thru Sunday anywhere decent in town!!) And Daryll's, the cool places to sit in, the Double Decker bus, the taxi cab, etc. Ah, the memories.

But one place I really miss, because they had really good food, is Mr. Steak which used to be on Stratford Rd. Anyone remember???

i miss both Darryls's in Winston. I went to the one in Brookstown maybe once but we always went to the one near North Pointe.    Its still in pretty good shape...some body should reopen it.  dont laugh, but i miss Quincy's and Western Sizzlin also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss those too..

Anyone remember Bennigan's on North Pointe?  How about the Darryl's also on North Pointe in Winston and over on the east side of Greensboro? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to miss the North Point Bennigan's 'cause it's still there. :)

As for the North Point Darryl's, the way the staff acted the last time we were there it's no wonder they closed. A shame too...it was a cool place.

I believe there's still a Bennigan's in Fayetteville and Cary. i was never very crazy about that place.

I loved Darryl's though. I did see them decline, but I was very sad when they closed in Raleigh and Durham. I was hoping they would pull through!

I believe that Mexican restaurant at Hanes Mall was Chi Chi's as well.  It turned into a Don Pablo's(at some point) and is now empty (any interested restaurantuer please take note, Winston needs all the restaurants we can get, just try to get a table Thursday thru Sunday anywhere decent in town!!)  And Daryll's, the cool places to sit in, the Double Decker bus, the taxi cab, etc.  Ah, the memories.

But one place I really miss, because they had really good food, is Mr. Steak which used to be on Stratford Rd.  Anyone remember???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah what hapened to Mr. Steak? I remember you could get a decent sized steak, and it wasn't the cheap cut. Along with a soup & salad with bread for like $9.95 What happened to deals like that?

Yeah anyone remember Steak and Ale that used to be in the former Mr. Steak location. That location has had several restaurants over the past few years....including Mr. Steak, Steak and Ale, Louis Blues Seafood Grille, Society 59, I Bambini, and some other restaurant I can't think of. I wonder why they didn't do so hot?

That location has had several restaurants over the past few years....including Mr. Steak, Steak and Ale, Louis Blues Seafood Grille, Society 59, I Bambini, and some other restaurant I can't think of. I wonder why they didn't do so hot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every town has that one spot that nevr seems to stay occupied with the same restaurant or store for more than a year or two. That's one of South Stratford Road's examples.

No offense, Cosmoboy, but Mr. Steak and Steak and Ale were in two different locations about 1/2 mile apart from each other. The Mr. Steak location turned into retail while the Steak and Ale location has hosted the variety of restaurants that you did correctly mention.

While I have very fond memories of Steak and Ale(steak places should know to make horseradish sauce available with prime rib like they did!!) the only subsequent restaurant I have been to in that location is I Bambini. Based on my experience there, I would say that yet another attempt at success at this location should be soon forthcoming. :sick:

There are already great restaurants in Downtown Winston! There also is a great coffee shop call "Sins." I don't know why we need another flippin' Starbucks to deem an area as having "made it." Shameless plug here for the coffee shop close to my house, if you are ever in South Winston stop at Oliver's Crossing SC and got to the Black Bear Coffee Cafe. Great Frappe's and Coffee, run by a great family, Free WiFi with cool seating/conversational areas! :D

BTW, Mellow Mushroom Pizza is coming to Fourth Street next to the Nissen Building project. :lol:

Yeah anyone remember Steak and Ale that used to be in the former Mr. Steak location. That location has had several restaurants over the past few years....including Mr. Steak, Steak and Ale, Louis Blues Seafood Grille, Society 59, I Bambini, and some other restaurant I can't think of. I wonder why they didn't do so hot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should check out I Bambini (which is pronounced "e-bambini" for those who didn't know). Nice looking place and excellent Italian food.

Speaking of downtown restaurants, has anyone tried Christopher's New Global Cuisine http://www.christophersngc.com/ or the Marshall Street Smokehouse http://www.triaddiner.com/view_rest.php?restid=146 ?

yeah downtown Winston needs just a few more restaurants to almost make it perfect. I hope we get a national chain down there like Starbucks or pehaps maybe even a grocery store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think a starbucks is coming to the marriott or embassy suites? Noble Investment mentioned that a national coffee shop chain will be constructed at one of the bases.

oh, I didn't know that Mr. Steak and Steak and Ale were in different locations? My bad! Anyway I heard from somewhere that Sin coffee shop had closed. Is that true? I don't think Noble mentioned anything about a national chain coffee shop in Twin City Quarter, anyway I may have missed it. The only things they've mentioned has been a day spa and possibly an entertainment restaurant like ESPN Zone.

Archived