Which restaurants do you miss?

mediamongrel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We enjoyed Chi Chi's a lot before the closed up the Greensboro location. Fortunately we had already found and started enjoying La Bamba on State Street by then...but we did enjoy having the choice between the two. Chi Chi's was a favorite for us as my husband and I dated many years ago. We also ate at one in Charleston SC many years ago too. Is it still there off Hwy 26 near the mall?

I also remember bennigans on High Point Rd. We didnt go there often, but did a few times. I've seen the one in Cary/Apex on Hwy 64 and had wondered if it was one and the same eating place as we had known in Greensboro.

What was it with all these mexican chain restaurants going out of business then just selling salsa?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they just like to say "salsa" :lol:

Seriously though, the prepared food market is huge and anytime you can get an established and familiar brand name to grace a product in the supermarket, it's gonna sell. Witness Chi-Chi's, Don Pablo's, On The Border and Taco Bell products on grocers' shelves. Even Howard Johnson's is still alive as a brand name for frozen food products.

There is still a Darryl's on High Point Road in Greensboro believe it or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Houlihan's website (they own Darryl's):

"Darryl's, located in Orlando and High Point, specializes in contemporary American cooking."

Maybe they got High Point Rd. confused with the town?

Also, Don Pablo's still has restaurants open. There's one in Asheville and Greenville, SC, plus various ones in other states.

... I don't think Noble mentioned anything about a national chain coffee shop in Twin City Quarter, anyway I may have missed it. The only things they've mentioned has been a day spa and possibly an entertainment restaurant like ESPN Zone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downtown Winston-Salem will be getting a Starbucks. I just noticed the "Starbucks:coming soon" sign up at TwinCity quarter. also the upscale steak restaurant, WS Prime, will be complete next week in time for the NBTF.

I also miss Western Steer, if anyone remembers those. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not positive but I think the Western Steer in Mount Airy is still open.

Mount Airy also has a Ruby Tuesday's now. That was kinda surpising to me.

There's a lot of info online about the demise of Howard Johnsons that you can look up, but long story short, they've been in a freefall for at least the last 20 years. I have some friends and aquaintences that are obseesed with HoJos and they've filled me in on a lot of the minutae.

Anyone remeber Sally's Hot Dogs? I think it was mainly a Triad chain, but I saw when one of their restaurants on High Point Road had turned into a Vietnamese place and it triggered a memory.

There was anothe one out next to Carolina Circle Mall that's a Bojangles now and yet another in Danville, Va. that I'm sure is occupied, but by what, I do not know.

They used to also have a Checker's next to Krispy Kreme on Startford in Winston. Oh and by the way that Checker's your talking about in ATL, i'm staying 3 blocks away from it right now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sort of miss Central Park. Remember that drive through hot dog/hamburger place. They had two in Winston I think.

I sort of miss Central Park.  Remember that drive through hot dog/hamburger place.  They had two in Winston I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, i'm sorry I don't remember that place. Hey anyone remembe the old Sears in DT Winston? I heard they use to have awesome hot dogs!

My mom used to take me downtown to Sears in Winston when I was little and she said I've had their hot dogs. Alas, I don't remember the experience. From what I've heard, the dogs were to die for!

Cosmoboy, stay out of trouble in ATL, there's alot of trouble a college boy can get into especially in Downtown!!

:o

Archived