Which restaurants do you miss?

mediamongrel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cosmoboy, stay out of trouble in ATL, there's alot of trouble a college boy can get into especially in Downtown!!

:o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh I already know! I already had a few experiences in the past few days. Yeah Baby! :lol: Nah, I won't get into much trouble anymore, I've got my girlfriend that I'm staying with at Atlantic Station to keep me under control. She just moved in today, in case your wondering why I said I was staying at the renaissance, so I'm mot there anymore. I am thinking of transferring down there to finish my last 2 years but anyway enough with my personal life, back to the thread! :)

I do not remember anything good about it.  If memory serves me right...the hot dogs had a tinge of green that day. 

Yum Yum's in Greensboro has always been my "hot dog" place-but that's another thread another day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cool. I'm not a hot dog fan (never have been) but I may check out Yum-Yum's if I start jonesin' for one sometime.

I used to go there quite often with my family too. I don't remember the hot dogs either.

I do remember parking on the roof and going downstairs to the store. I always thought that was the coolest thing back then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could have been to that store. I've seen pictures and it looked pretty slick. Hanes Mall and I were born the same year so I never had a chance to see any downtown stores in Winston.

Does anyone know if the Mr. Steak in Winston that was on Reynolda Rd. in the late 80's was the only one in NC? I never saw any down south except for that one. They had great deals and food, and I know the chain folded, but I wonder if there were any others in NC. I managed to snag a floor rug from the demolition of a Mr. Steak up north. It is definitely a prized possesion!

I am actually glad most of these chains are gone. Many had mediocre food at best. For me Central park(it used to be on Indiana near the cookout) and darryls were the cream of the crop. every once in a while I get to the darryls in greensboro. Where was Mr. Steak on Reynolda. I remember Staleys but not Mr. Steak.

The best thing that happened to the sallys in greenboro was it's space being took over by Saigon - a viet restaurant.

I think the decline of the chi-chis and don pablo's was inevitable. With the burgeoning hispanic pop. there has been a proliferation of mexican spots. for an authentic bite try Paisano(sp) on waughtown or the mexican places on reynolda near carmike taco riendo or el arriero

I am actually glad most of these chains are gone.  Many had mediocre food at best.  For me Central park(it used to be on Indiana near the cookout)  and darryls were the cream of the crop.  every once in a while I get to the darryls in greensboro.  Where was Mr. Steak on Reynolda.  I remember Staleys but not Mr. Steak.

The best thing that happened to the sallys in greenboro was it's space being took over by Saigon - a viet restaurant.

I think the decline of the chi-chis and don pablo's was inevitable.  With the burgeoning hispanic pop.  there has been a proliferation of mexican spots.  for an authentic bite try Paisano(sp) on waughtown or the mexican places on reynolda near carmike taco riendo or el arriero

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually think Monterry has some pretty good mexican food. I'd like to see a Mexican restaurant set up shop in DT. I like independent mexican restaurants better than chain.

• 3 months later...

That's what I was thinking, I mean I'm pretty sure I was just there a couple months ago.

Bennigan's on North Point is now closed. Last week, I went by the post office there and as I was leaving I noticed some people standing aorund outside the front. There were only about 8 cars there, and it was lunchtime (about 1215). I thought that was strange but didn't think anything of it since I had eaten there about a week earlier. Today I had occasion to go back by there and it was again about 1215 but there were no cars. So I drove up to the door. They have a sign that says "thank you for visiting us over the years. It was a pleasure to serve you". No explanation. When I was there last time it was packed, so I can't believe it was from lack of business. It could have been mismanagement, which I believe is what did in the 2 Darryl's that someone mentioned earlier. But like Darryl's I'll miss Bennigans too. It's a shame really. Are all the restaurants going to eventually merge into one big thing like everything else??

Speaking of Darryls, the mature lady who was a hostess at the one on Brownsboro Rd. is now doing the same thing at Chili's on Hanes Mill Rd. She was always really nice and still is. It was good to see she still had a job, and one that she apparatly enjoys.

Bennigan's on North Point is now closed. Last week, I went by the post office there and as I was leaving I noticed some people standing aorund outside the front. There were only about 8 cars there, and it was lunchtime (about 1215). I thought that was strange but didn't think anything of it since I had eaten there about a week earlier. Today I had occasion to go back by there and it was again about 1215 but there were no cars. So I drove up to the door. They have a sign that says "thank you for visiting us over the years. It was a pleasure to serve you". No explanation. When I was there last time it was packed, so I can't believe it was from lack of business. It could have been mismanagement, which I believe is what did in the 2 Darryl's that someone mentioned earlier. But like Darryl's I'll miss Bennigans too. It's a shame really. Are all the restaurants going to eventually merge into one big thing like everything else??

Speaking of Darryls, the mature lady who was a hostess at the one on Brownsboro Rd. is now doing the same thing at Chili's on Hanes Mill Rd. She was always really nice and still is. It was good to see she still had a job, and one that she apparatly enjoys.

The Darryl's on Brookstown Ave in Winston-Salem closed due to a VERY BAD sanitation grade. I think that restaurant kind of livened things up on that end of town with the carriage rides and all. The architecture in that building is so amazing! It's somewhat of a shame that they replaced it with that visitor's center instead of another restaurant. Does anybody know what restaurant ,if any, is going in up the street in the Tar Branch condos?

I miss the restaurants that existed before the onslaught of the Chilis and Applebees of the world. Winston-Salem had some memorable places like Newmarket Grille and Twin City Steakhouse in the same location before it, Le Chaudierre (at Reynolda Village), Backstage (at Mercantile Plaza next to the Stevens Center), Louisianna Purchase, Cafe Piaf (Stevens Center), Rainbow Cafe (more for its atmosphere than food) - although Christopher's New Global Cuisine in the same location is an excellent restaurant, probably the best in W-S right now, Staley's (on Reynolda Rd), Shober's on West 4th St, etc.

I miss the restaurants that existed before the onslaught of the Chilis and Applebees of the world. Winston-Salem had some memorable places like Newmarket Grille and Twin City Steakhouse in the same location before it, Le Chaudierre (at Reynolda Village), Backstage (at Mercantile Plaza next to the Stevens Center), Louisianna Purchase, Cafe Piaf (Stevens Center), Rainbow Cafe (more for its atmosphere than food) - although Christopher's New Global Cuisine in the same location is an excellent restaurant, probably the best in W-S right now, Staley's (on Reynolda Rd), Shober's on West 4th St, etc.

Oh yes, Rainbow Cafe in its original form was a great place. The atmosphere was indeed good, but the food was too usually. I loved the handmade menus and still have one as a souvenier from one summer night around 1992. "The Skellingtons" were playing that evening and on the menu was "Paris Nights Pasta" which I had and was great (anything with artichoke hearts are great). After it closed (I think due to plumbing problems and a subsequent bankruptcy) and then reopened it was never the same. I went back only once and will never forget the waiter coming to the table and proceeding to tell us first what was *not* available, which was just about everything. Another great place that was wiped off the map and tried to reinvent itself with the same failure that came upon Rainbow was The Rose and Thistle. That was my second fave place behind Rainbow (Rainbow got the mad props because of the books and mags lol). R&T's piano and unique menu items were so welcomed. And now it's all gone because of a friggin freeway CURVE that was redesigned but yet is MIRACULOUSLY still there - and just about as curvy. I didn't know Cafe Piaf was closed. I thought it was still open when the Stevens Center had events.

Oh yes, Rainbow Cafe in its original form was a great place. The atmosphere was indeed good, but the food was too usually. I loved the handmade menus and still have one as a souvenier from one summer night around 1992. "The Skellingtons" were playing that evening and on the menu was "Paris Nights Pasta" which I had and was great (anything with artichoke hearts are great). After it closed (I think due to plumbing problems and a subsequent bankruptcy) and then reopened it was never the same. I went back only once and will never forget the waiter coming to the table and proceeding to tell us first what was *not* available, which was just about everything. Another great place that was wiped off the map and tried to reinvent itself with the same failure that came upon Rainbow was The Rose and Thistle. That was my second fave place behind Rainbow (Rainbow got the mad props because of the books and mags lol). R&T's piano and unique menu items were so welcomed. And now it's all gone because of a friggin freeway CURVE that was redesigned but yet is MIRACULOUSLY still there - and just about as curvy. I didn't know Cafe Piaf was closed. I thought it was still open when the Stevens Center had events.

Rose and Thistle wasn't torn down by the highway, it just went under like Rainbow. It was replaced by some bar that is always hopping on Fridays. Yet that once again has changed hands again. Cafe Piaf has also changed many times throughout the years also. It has been 2 other places since then but is currently now Camel City Cafe.

Rose and Thistle wasn't torn down by the highway, it just went under like Rainbow. It was replaced by some bar that is always hopping on Fridays. Yet that once again has changed hands again. Cafe Piaf has also changed many times throughout the years also. It has been 2 other places since then but is currently now Camel City Cafe.

Wasn't Rose and Thistle torn down to re-route the Hawthorne Curve? Then they re-opened at Reynolda Manor Shopping Center. Are they still there? I always loved their pizza and the atmosphere there.

Wasn't Rose and Thistle torn down to re-route the Hawthorne Curve? Then they re-opened at Reynolda Manor Shopping Center. Are they still there? I always loved their pizza and the atmosphere there.

Nope still there from what I beleive. Like I said it has been several other things over the years. They didn't even demolish any buildings to make way for that strtch of road. Well, I think they did demolish one but it wasn't R&T.

Nope still there from what I beleive. Like I said it has been several other things over the years. They didn't even demolish any buildings to make way for that strtch of road. Well, I think they did demolish one but it wasn't R&T.

Actually, they did tear it down. There used to be a commercial strip on both sides of Hawthorne Rd going up the hill from 1st St. There was a gym, a ballroom dance place, a Subway, a drug store and Rose and Thistle which faced onto Lockland Ave. All of these buildings were torn down through eminent domain to build a new bridge to straighten out the Hawthorne Curve.

Another W-S restaurant I miss is Shuckers which was on Cherry Street where High Street dead ends.

Actually, they did tear it down. There used to be a commercial strip on both sides of Hawthorne Rd going up the hill from 1st St. There was a gym, a ballroom dance place, a Subway, a drug store and Rose and Thistle which faced onto Lockland Ave. All of these buildings were torn down through eminent domain to build a new bridge to straighten out the Hawthorne Curve.

Another W-S restaurant I miss is Shuckers which was on Cherry Street where High Street dead ends.

I thought I was correct. My roomie at the time was a School of the Arts student and he was the first to tell me that they were closing because they were tearing down the building to straighten the curve. They did reopen at Reynolda but have been closed for some time.

I had lunch today at North Point Grill, which is in the former Ragazzi's building. Regular cooking but very good and friendly, good service.

• 3 months later...

In Charlotte my favorites were "Shakeys Pizza" as a kid, and "Gradys" in High School. Shakeys was on Independence by the big gold building. They would show "The Little Rascals" on a big screen as entertainment. Gradys had great food and a fun atmosphere. It was on Albemarle rd. across from Red Lobster.

I also miss the old-style "Fish Camps." One of the best in the 70s was the Hide-A-Way on Monroe before it moved.

Godfathers Pizza was a great place too.

Bennigan's in Fayetteville used to be one of my favorite spots, the one in Wilmington was ok. Always hated Chi-Chi's for some reason, they closed one down in Fayetteville and left that ugly, empty building on the corner for like 10 years before it became a Chinese place or something. Even thinking about Checkers makes my stomach hurt.

I miss Chi Chi's and Darryls. I also miss Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour. We used to have a Farrell's at Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville.

Have to say that I miss Darryl's the most, Can't beat the Adam's portion of ribs or the Canadian Double Dogs was a favorite too. The first time I went to Farrell's I was about 10 years old. I am turning 40 in 2 months. I really do miss their selection and the entertainment aspect.

Archived