Which restaurants do you miss?

mediamongrel

Well, the former Darryl's in Winston-Salem is no more. It was completely demolished (along with the double decker bus :( ) I have fond memories of eating as a kid inside the bus and the elevator; along with those crackers they brought before the meal.

Making Way: Darryl's restaurant taken down, along with its double-decker bus

So sad.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started thinking back to restaurants in the Winston area from growing up:

-Annabelle's - restaurant in Hanes Mall similar, if I remember correctly, to Darryl's with the wild decor and two-story seating. I remember the blue neon sign with a woman on it, the bar in the middle, and the dungeounesque seating below the second floor--much like a dark pit.

-Quincy's - in Clemmons and on Peters Creek at the corner of Link and PCP where the Parkway Ford truck center is now. Only went to the Clemmons once, but we used to frequent the PCP location many Sundays after church--always popular and had GREAT rolls.

-Montanas - this is where the Buena Vista Shop and Windsor Jewelers are on Stratford next to Stratford Oaks. I think it was Mr. Steak before, or something similar to that, but shortly after the name changed the restaurant went out of business.

-The Depot - formerly in Thruway, it moved out 158 towards Clemmons. Family-type restaurant, similar to Cafe Arthurs on Hawthorne...didn't do to well in its new location though(and neither did other restaurants that followed it...Georgio's, Luigi's, and my favorite, Paula's Country Kitchen) and is now Putters (I think that's the correct name).

-Boston Market - at Parkway Plaza, Stratford Towers (across from Thruway), Jonestown Road, and in Clemmons. The chain seemed to expand in the Winston area too fast, but it was always very enjoyable and seemed really healthy.

I remember many meals at the old Mayberry on Stratford, the Burger King on Stratford that's now Sakura (Japanese restaurant), and the Wendy's on Stratford that overlooked Slias Creek.

Anyone whos my age, do you remember going to the Parkway Plaza K&W? There used to be an extremely tall older African-American gentleman who worked there who always carried my tray when I was child. He was always friendly and nice. Does anyone else remember him?

I started thinking back to restaurants in the Winston area from growing up:

-Annabelle's - restaurant in Hanes Mall similar, if I remember correctly, to Darryl's with the wild decor and two-story seating. I remember the blue neon sign with a woman on it, the bar in the middle, and the dungeounesque seating below the second floor--much like a dark pit.

Anybody remember The Brass Kettle? It was right beside where Kmart (now Burlington Coat Factory) used to be years ago. I went there numerous times when I was a kid, but I don't remember much about it. Also, remember when The Carriage House used to be on the other side of the street where Flow Used Cars is on Stratford?

Anybody remember The Brass Kettle? It was right beside where Kmart (now Burlington Coat Factory) used to be years ago. I went there numerous times when I was a kid, but I don't remember much about it. Also, remember when The Carriage House used to be on the other side of the street where Flow Used Cars is on Stratford?

• 1 month later...

Archived