Birmingham at street level (photos)

bobliocatt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the Sloss Furnances. 100 years ago this steel mill was once one of the city's largest employers. Today, it has been converted into a history musuem where visitors can walk through and learn about the steel making process and how this company helped shaped the city that exists today. Many cities have large industrial plants that have closed, but I give a lot of respect and credit to the citizens of Birmingham for the vision to convert and industrial relic into a museum.

Sloss Furnace is also one of America's most haunted places (been featured on many national programs). Reports of the paranormal began about 100 years ago after the night foreman fell into a vat of molten iron ore. Since then there have been hundreds of accounts of paranormal activities.

Sloss has a historic site that looks at its historical value, but Sloss also has a site about its paranormal activity. Click here: http://www.frightfurnace.com/

Great Bham pics. I'm from Birmingham, well Ok Homewood, I'm coming home this weekend, I need to to take a drive downtown and see how things are shaping up. It's always exciting to see all the changes.

I heard some construction gossip this past weekend. The Railroad Reservation Lofts or really, a new 9 story condo with roof top pool, are on the fast track. Marketing and construction will begin soon. Does anyone have any knowledge about the fund-raising, or how much more money is needed for the first phase?

Oh my oh my........I want to go to Birmingham now.

I want to see the Sloss Furnance with my own eyes. That picture of it there is surreal. I love it.

Birmingham seems to have a very walkable downtown area. The last time I was in Birmingham was in the early 1990's. I was a teenager and without my parents permission I drove from Atlanta to Birmingham all by myself. I was a speed demon then so I got there really fast. I was thouroughly surprised on my ride in on I-20. I parked downtown and walked around with ease and no fear.

It's time for me to visit Birmingham again.

It's time for me to visit Birmingham again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's certainly worth visiting - from an Atlantan's perspective. Atlanta is more of a combination of Birmingham and Charlotte, rather than the usual Charlotte comparison.

But the neighborhoods are great & Five Points is a nice community commercial area right on the edge of downtown.

Nice pic of the old L&N station, Blazer. I don't think I've ever seen that depicted anywhere before.

Below are links to sites with pictures of the old Terminal Station in B'ham, torn down in 1969 to build the elevated part of the Red Mountain Expressway through downtown, I believe. The aerial in the second link shows where it was located.

http://www.jdweeks.com/postcd2.html

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bham.rewound/

UrbanPlanet doesn't have a problem with posting images. For the most part, I'll upload images to my personal photo host site, before posting them on the forum. Every now and then, whenever I post images off of the web, I always reference the source, by providing the url to the site.

UrbanPlanet doesn't have a problem with posting images.  For the most part, I'll upload images to my personal photo host site, before posting them on the forum.  Every now and then, whenever I post images off of the web, I always reference the source, by providing the url to the site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. We encourage hosting the image on your own hosting site, but it is not required that you do so.

Yeah... and ultimately one of the most traveled expressways in the whole city. Elton B Stephens Expressway is essentially an interstate-quality portion of US31... it then splits off into US31 and the infamous 280. It's unfortunate we had to lose it like that. You would think there would be SOME way to save a building of such historical and architectural significance.

Archived