Casual restaurants downtown

f0xym0p

I want to hang out downtown more often, but it seems that most of the restaurants are upscale. What are some places where jeans are okay and the entrees are not more than $15? Oh, they need to be open for dinner, too, not just weekday lunch.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to hang out downtown more often, but it seems that most of the restaurants are upscale. What are some places where jeans are okay and the entrees are not more than $15? Oh, they need to be open for dinner, too, not just weekday lunch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like to go to SoHo Bistro on College Street in the Hearst Tower. It looks intimidating, but it comes the closest for me to giving an urban atmosphere while I eat. The two sisters who run the restaurant are really nice and while upscale-looking, you can definitely dress/be casual. Another place is Tin Tin Box and Noodles on Tryon St. close to Starbucks. It looks like just take-out but if you take the stairs it leads to a cool dining area with a plasma TV, bar, and a cool view of the BOFA tower. Another place I have discovered is Fuel Pizza across from the convention center at the park on The Green. You can grab a slice of pizza, some wings, or a sandwich and head on out to the park and have an impromptu picnic. Other places that fit your guidelines include Fujo Bistro located inside the Wachovia One tower, Pizzeria Uno located in First Union Center (I believe 2 Wachovia), and of course who could forget one of the first dining options on N. Tryon, Rock Bottom. I encourage you to do like I did, and grab someone you like to be with and go out and explore. Have fun!

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I definitely will explore. I just don't want to walk into some place and end up paying $100 for the meal! Fortunately many of the places have menus online or at their doors. I just wish there were more casual places.

Fox & Hound, Groucho's Deli, Alexander Michael's, Fast food type Indian place near the bottom of the interstate tower, The wok king in gateway village, I'm sure there are more but thats what pops into my head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Harry and Jeans - the entrees start at $9, range up to $20 - but most fall around the $12 range. The atmosphere is dimly lit, big comfy booths, jazz music, etc. It's on the corner of 4th and Tryon - next to Dean and Deluca.

I'd say it's a little above the jeans / t-shirt atmosphere, but nothing snooty.

http://www.harryandjeans.com

I like to go to SoHo Bistro on College Street in the Hearst Tower.  It looks intimidating, but it comes the closest for me to giving an urban atmosphere while I eat.  The two sisters who run the restaurant are really nice and while upscale-looking, you can definitely dress/be casual.  Another place is Tin Tin Box and Noodles on Tryon St. close to Starbucks.  It looks like just take-out but if you take the stairs it leads to a cool dining area with a plasma TV, bar, and a cool view of the BOFA tower.  Another place I have discovered is Fuel Pizza across from the convention center at the park on The Green.  You can grab a slice of pizza, some wings, or a sandwich and head on out to the park and have an impromptu picnic.  Other places that fit your guidelines include Fujo Bistro located inside the Wachovia One tower, Pizzeria Uno located in First Union Center (I believe 2 Wachovia), and of course who could forget one of the first dining options on N. Tryon, Rock Bottom.  I encourage you to do like I did, and grab someone you like to be with and go out and explore.  Have fun!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great Hot n' Sour soup @ SoHo :thumbsup:

A2

Harry and Jeans - the entrees start at $9, range up to $20 - but most fall around the $12 range.  The atmosphere is dimly lit, big comfy booths, jazz music, etc.  It's on the corner of 4th and Tryon - next to Dean and Deluca.

I'd say it's a little above the jeans / t-shirt atmosphere, but nothing snooty.

http://www.harryandjeans.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh really? I thought this place was upscale. Good to know!

There is also Mert's Heart and Soul on College.  I've eaten there twice though and have still yet to be impressed despite the place's reputation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I have been there. I liked it and I will definitely go back sometime, but I must say that I like Dish better.

Actually I have been there. I liked it and I will definitely go back sometime, but I must say that I like Dish better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love both places. :wub: I have to say the Meatloaf at the Dish is off the chain. I do not typically like meatloaf, but whatever they do to it makes it something special.

A2

I do not think the Coffe House is technically Uptown (as in a few blocks from the square), but is close to the BofA stadium. It is UNBELIEVABLE and REASONABLY priced. Just be prepared for a "filling experience". Everytime I have gone, I can barely make it through the second half of my day at work. I must say it is some the BEST southern cooking I have ever had.

A2

I do not think the Coffe House is technically Uptown (as in a few blocks from the square), but is close to the BofA stadium. It is UNBELIEVABLE and REASONABLY priced. Just be prepared for a "filling experience". Everytime I have gone, I can barely make it through the second half of my day at work. I must say it is some the BEST southern cooking I have ever had.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember reading about that place but I thought it had closed down.

I'm getting quite a list going!

I remember reading about that place but I thought it had closed down.

I'm getting quite a list going!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. It is alive and well. It had closed, but just briefly and then just as quick as it closed, it reopened.

A2

i don't know if it counts as casual restaurant per se, but i just tried the new city tavern in hearst tower yesterday. it was very good, and the dining room is much less dungeony compared to their old location at ivey's.

Archived