Suburanban ideas in Urban Areas

MAJIKMAN

I got this idea form the Atl beltway thread in how developers are trying this. I don't personally like this. But that is just my opinion. The idea of having someone

be so irresponsible and build a house where two or three can be. And alot of the time, like in past threads, Suburbanites who see the long trips out to the boonies

is not what they thought. Which was suppose to be good. Now they want it. So they

want to bring their wastefulness with them. That suburban life they left behind.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is similar to our discussion on gated communities. Creating cul-de-sac communities that are walled off from the world in an urban setting is not what should be done.

The issue you describe depends on its location. There may be some situation where that is practical. the urban parts of town may not always be super dense. Can you give a more specific example?

I guess an example of that is the Viola St. community downtown. I felt that they

could have made better use of the land they have there. It is something that, if

you see it, really looks out of place. A situation where it looks like it should be in the suburbs. Somewhere off on the edge of the city. I see no imagination. And the city now is stressing higher density. I feel that that area was a wasted opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another example of suburban oddity. The drive thru. To anyone who has

been to downtown Greenville. I know they have seen the Carolina First drive thru.

Now I have been to a lot of places and seen alot of things. But this really took the

cake. If you were in a place that is promoting walkability. Why would you put not

only a drive thru, but a parking lot. The parking lot, if I am right, I've seen only

a few car there at any time and the drive thru I have never seen one. Maybe they

should have questioned why Wachovia sold the @#%& thing so readily. It didn't

make any since. Now I can't vent all this on Carolina First. There are others out

there like Palmetto, NBSC, Suntrust (formerly CCB), and formerly Southtrust.

But I don't know why they still have them seeing what has happened to the old

one that is at the BofA buildings. Drive Thrus just don't make since.

The Palmetto Bank building and drive-thru is probably the first building/piece of land in the CBD on my list that I would like to see torn down and used for something meaningful. One would think that these guys would be willing to sell if given the right offer. That is such prime real estate, and such a waste of valuable land as well.

I can honestly say I have never thought twice about drive thru banks. Its convenient to stop at the ATM at my bank on the way downtown. I actually use the downtown branch of my bank the most, but it isn't really in the core part of it.

Of course, in Spartanburg, the only "urban" style bank is the bormer BB&T that was in the Broadwalk accross form Denny's Tower (or Flagstar, back in its day:) ) But even that one still had a drive thru. Maybe the old First Citizens building on Henry St too (they have since built a new one on the same spot)

How would you rather see these things built? Just ATMs and indoor tellers, but not drive thrus? if thats the case it should have some offices above it (i'm thinking of all the bank towers in Cola- BofA Tower, NBSC, etc) But not that I think about it, even the BofA/Wilbur Smith tower has a drive thru. Can you be more specific in what you would like to see?

All of the parking lots between Main Street and Church Street are a waste and are crying out for redevelopment.  I think it would be great for a developer to assemble a few of them for a big retail or mixed-use project. Any hopes for this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same goes for all those church parking lots along Academy.

All of the parking lots between Main Street and Church Street are a waste and are crying out for redevelopment.  I think it would be great for a developer to assemble a few of them for a big retail or mixed-use project. Any hopes for this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so. The largest part of that is the County lot for the court house I think. It will be semi-hard to change that. A garage will most likely have to be constructed for city employees and people going to court. Perhaps this will change when they build the new couthouse?

I guess my biggest beef with is that they are a waste of space. Like the BIG one

I failed to mention. BB&T'S six lane drive thru and maybe 150-200 space parking

lot. Now you have to admit, especially with BB&T, they not only have two buildings

they operate out of. They also have banking centers in both of them. Now don't

get me wrong I the idea of the drive thru. But not in a highly, supposedly urban

area. Save that for busy auto depend roadways. You can not bring all those things

suburburban folk like into the middle of town. That like putting Haywood Mall on

Main St. It would be just wrong!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with getting rid of the BB&T drive thru. That property should be developed into something "community friendly" to help draw people toward the library and Heritage Green.This area of downtown feels distant because of the voids between them.This is a good area for Downtown to further branch out and become more then main street. I know the developments starting to move out further than mainstreet, but I think the more spread,and dence downtown becomes the better for all of us.

I just have something to complain about.

And it is the number of parking garages along Beattie and around there. One, there is the Greenville Commons Garage for the Hyatt, the Liberty Square Garage, the Court House has it's own parking, and then the Church St Garage for the Bilo Center. Those would be great areas for new development and the garages are already there, BUT there's no room! on the other side of the Liberty Square Garage is a cemetery, so that's out. Can't really develop any more close enough to the Bilo Center Garage, then the Hyatt Garage might be "too far" for some people if they ever tear down the Palmetto Bank and develope that prime piece of real estate. It bugs me because the density of that area isnt that great, but there's just seems to be too little room to build more stuff... but I guess if they are sqeezing the Pinnacle on Main on that little plot of land, then they could possibly squeeze some more.

• 1 month later...

I just have something to complain about.

And it is the number of parking garages along Beattie and around there. One, there is the Greenville Commons Garage for the Hyatt, the Liberty Square Garage, the Court House has it's own parking, and then the Church St Garage for the Bilo Center. Those would be great areas for new development and the garages are already there, BUT there's no room! on the other side of the Liberty Square Garage is a cemetery, so that's out. Can't really develop any more close enough to the Bilo Center Garage, then the Hyatt Garage might be "too far" for some people if they ever tear down the Palmetto Bank and develope that prime piece of real estate. It bugs me because the density of that area isnt that great, but there's just seems to be too little room to build more stuff... but I guess if they are sqeezing the Pinnacle on Main on that little plot of land, then they could possibly squeeze some more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only they could utilize more of that land in front of the garage between one and two liberty center or place. Hell I can't remember. Hey that is a good idea about squeezing a building in there. :whistling:

There was an article in The State about how McMansions are popping up in traditional in-town neighborhoods, sometimes even towering above neighboring houses. One historic neighborhood in Charlotte, Myers Park, is dealing with this issue as well. It somewhat gives a lop-sided feel to a neighborhood, if you know what I mean.

Archived