Drawing Board Graveyard

ilektronik

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were the coolest proposed towers throughout the years that never saw the light of day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Four First Union Center. It was going to be one of the tallest not only in Charlotte, but the world. It would have been in the top 5 in the US !

A2

i really liked the LCOR plans for the occ from ~5 years ago. for the moment, i'm forgetting the name, though, (was it halton plaza?). It would have been dense, tall, attractive and fit in with the BofA design themes.

i also liked the original arlington plans, which i think counts as a drawing board graveyard.

i really liked the LCOR plans for the occ from ~5 years ago.  for the moment, i'm forgetting the name, though, (was it halton plaza?).  It would have been dense, tall, attractive and fit in with the BofA design themes. 

i also liked the original arlington plans, which i think counts as a drawing board graveyard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Halton Square: The project was a 35 story mixed-use tower. The renderings in the Observer and Charlotte Biz Journal were very nice (at the time). However, if Ghazi's Epicenter development pans out, then I think we'll all be glad that Halton Square never happened.

Does anyone remember the BOA proposal for the parking lot across from the Corporate Center? It was a planned 40+ story tower with a similar exterior finish to BOA Corporate & Hurst... would've significantly improved the College Street streetscape.

Also, the original plans for The Arlington (Jim Gross's pink South Blvd. condo tower) called for 42 floors. The renderings made the building look very nice. But, surprise... surprise... Dilworth residents pitched a fit and the plans changed (I have a feeling that most of those folks would've been happier with the original plans).

Someone posted a link to rendering 2 Corporate Center across BofA, but I can't post.

But here the two versions of Four First Union

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love the first tower. Not big on the second. It is a real shame they did not see it through to fruition, but the "bottom line" is the most important thing in CEO's mind today, not mega skrapers that scream "mine is bigger than yours". Don't read too much into that last line. haha :P

A2

I'm going crazy trying to look for 2 Corporate renderings, someone post the link on this forum recently like a couple of days ago. That tower was beautiful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That link was in the "off the topic thread", where ever it is now. Here are some of Holton Square.

post-1667-1121804855_thumb.jpg

post-1667-1121804912_thumb.jpg

post-1667-1121804855_thumb.jpg

post-1667-1121804912_thumb.jpg

This was what  he said was going to build in order to get approval for the pink bulding.

arlington_blue.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder MB, why the Arlington looks nothing like this? I love the drawing, but I think they must have just pieced it together once the structure was once up. I personally hate the concrete colums that exist and are exposed on the building as it stand now.

A2

Now that is really unfortunate. I hope those Dilworth residents are happy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tru dat'. I think being in an close in Urban neighborhood, such as Dilworth, you have to accept the fact that change is inevidable. In this case I think the Arlington should have been approved on the original 40+ story concept. I mean it is on one of the Main arteries (south blvd) into dowtown and it made sense, since the mass trasit line would be directly behind the development.

;)

A2

This one was killed by the Dilworth HOA.  They did not want such a big building near their neighborhood and fought tooth and nail to keep it from being built.  It has been said the pink building was really his revenge against that lot. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interestingly enough, I also heard that the pink building was built out of spite (I forget the actual conditions surrounding the incident though).

Interestingly enough, I also heard that the pink building was built out of spite (I forget the actual conditions surrounding the incident though).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be totally honest, I think it was not just Dilworth opposition and spite, but the funding that stood in the way of the 40 story project. I could be wrong though. ;)

A2

The first rendering resembles the RSA Tower going up in Mobile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the first architect of record for 4FU was TSV (who is the RSA architect), they were fired and replaced by KPF. I'm not sure if the first rendering on here was a TSV or KPF, but if it was TSV, that would certainly explain the similarity.

Archived