Drawing Board Graveyard

ilektronik

The Inspire project was a whacky 1,000 ft + observation tower that someone (Gellman?) proposed downtown once. It was to have a hotel, restaurants, and an observation deck. Supposedly it was to be modeled after Seattle's needle, but I don't think any renderings were ever shown.

I forget the spot he proposed this for...anyone?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Inspire project was a whacky 1,000 ft + observation tower that someone (Gellman?) proposed downtown once. It was to have a hotel, restaurants, and an observation deck. Supposedly it was to be modeled after Seattle's needle, but I don't think any renderings were ever shown.

I forget the spot he proposed this for...anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing I remember about it was that he was going to sell stock to individuals to finance it and that he met with the city council who supported the project as long as they didn't have to pay anything. I kind of remember that it would have been built on some vacant land downtown.

I wonder MB, why the Arlington looks nothing like this? I love the drawing, but I think they must have just pieced it together once the structure was once up. I personally hate the concrete colums that exist and are exposed on the building as it stand now.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He would have never gotten approval for a pink building. The changes were done after the fact.

InSpire would have gone to where the TransAmerica building is now located. He has a flair for the dramatic. In fact, he proposed a 2,000 foot needle for NYC's ground zero.

There are renderings of that floating around on the web that I posted a few months back.....I'll see if I can find it.

It strange that on Duda Paine's website they refer to 2 Corporate center as if it is (or still going to be) built. They use terms like "is" and "will" to describe it. I don't necessarily want to sound like a conspiracy theorist here but it would be great if BofA was dusting off this project for fruition. I guess it was Atlrvr that speculated that 60mil would put up about 20 floors. But, If BofA already owns the plans for the building that would take a chunk out of the costs. This building is Thirty-one floors. Secondly, with Ghazi rumoring a hotel tower as part of the Epicenter Project maybe he had a hotel chain like W show interest. Perhaps some secret hotel chain is still interested in the area but decided to cross the street to a BofA project instead? The recent Observer article did say that the 2corp site could be a potential site for BofA's new development. And it is odd that for years we haven't seen renderings for the building and now all of a sudden they mysteriously pop up on the web.

Since we're bagging on the Arlington again, I'll just throw in.... that for probably a year after I moved to Charlotte, I thought it was an office building. The balconies are so small, and it looked too austere to live in.

Then I thought it might be a hotel...

And finally I realized. That no... *seriously*... It is a condominium project. :blink:

There was a much older BofA proposal (when they were known as NCNB) that never got built. When the renderings/models where shown of the NCNB Plaza it included 3, not 2 towers as there are today. In additional to the 40 story NCNB HQ and the Radisson building, there was to have been a midrise building included that would have been another polygonal shape of blue glass. The effect would be 3 structures that complimented each other. I would guess it would have been between 25 & 30 stories and located on the college street side of the property.

I have never found a rendering online, but it was printed in the Observer in the mid 70s. Maybe one day I'll go down to the library and get a copy.

There was also supposed to be a third tower at Independence Center. Sixty stories and basically just a taller version of the 24-story building that's currently there. The pad is still avail if anyone wants to build there.

One Wachovia also had a sister tower in the plans originally. The twin would have sat on the Hilton site.

BarclaysAmerican was to build twin 35-story towers on Church between 3rd and 4th streets. Then they went bankrupt.

Im just glad the Epicenter is really going up. O'yea we need to vote go to the southern forum they have some really good threds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they go up, but I would'nt get my hopes up.. as anything could happen between now and then. Lets just hope everything goes smooth. :)

It strange that on Duda Paine's website they refer to 2 Corporate center as if it is (or still going to be) built.  They use terms like "is" and "will" to describe it.  I don't necessarily want to sound like a conspiracy theorist here but it would be great if BofA was dusting off this project for fruition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the Emporis "buildings that were never built" section also describes it using present tense as opposed to past tense

I was WRONG!  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think the plans are going to be dusted off for Corporate Center two. Especially now that there is a new catalyst in place. The Ritz is going to stir things up yet again for development of that deck. Trust me. I also still think once we get a commitment from another tenent, BofA is going to move forward on its sister tower on 7th.

A2

• 2 weeks later...

Archived