Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sonagi

recreation near Champaign

I just got a job offer, and I'm moving to Champaign next month. I am from mid-Michigan, so this isn't a big change geographically. When Michiganians want nature, we head for the lake front or for the forests up north. Looking on a map, I see a few state parks not too far from Champaign. Where do folks in central Illinois go to find scenic beauty?

I am a student at Purdue, and last summer I delivered ice all over Western Indiana and Eastern Illinois. As far as what there is to do in Champaign, enjoy U of I and the bars and university life (if you are into that sort of thing). Also, around Decatur, Illinois there are quite a few lakes. I don't remember their names offhand, but I believe they were near the town of Clinton, IL. Decatur is about an hour or so from Champaign Urbana. These lakes were popular as I frequently was delivering ice to the stores in the area.

Decatur itself has a nice lake, though the town smells awful from what I believe is a soybean processing facility.

What brings you to Urbana/Champaign. Did you get a job with the University?

I got a job in a public school. Champaign itself seems like a pleasant college town. Culturally, I won't be bored, but my impression of Illinois is that the state is not endowed with natural beauty.

I went to U of I for my undergrad, and thought it was pretty nice down there, especially in the spring.

I stayed for a week at Alerton Park. Its a pretty large and well maintained park, which I believe belongs to the University and is open to the public. I could be wrong about the University part. Anyhow, its pretty scenic, and they do a lot of ecological work there. I would recommend it if your into that sort of thing. It is about 3 or 4 miles west of Monticello, IL which is 20 minutes west of Champaign