Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cracklow

old jacksonville shirt

I have this ol tee shirt, that i got when the peterson's 5 and dime in five point closed. i was looking at it the other day, and wondered about when was this skyline right? granted, some of it is going to be artistic liberties and whatnot, but there are some obvious reality based structures represented on the shirt. Some just have me wondering.. what is that little building hiding under the puff paint 'jacksonville' next to friendship fountain? is that the CSX building on the left, as it doesn't look right, but shouldn't it be there? Anyone have ideas on a year?

27234925_b15e18935f_b.jpg

Some artistic liberties, but not a ton - I'll see if I can get a photo. It was definitely post-1975 (the year Independent Life build their new headquarters)

It's hard to tell with the "artistic liberties" - but it's possible that the building on the left is actually the Bellsouth Building, not the CSX. That would put it at sometime between 1983-1987 (no landing). But if it's the CSX, or old Southtrust building, who knows? 1975-1983.

The lack of the Southrust is what confuses me the most (since it was built at the exact same time as the Independent Life). Maybe it's one of those smaller buildings hiding behind the others ... but that would truly be some artistic liberty, indeed.

The little building under the "Jacksonville" was part of the original Friendship Park. One of those Hardwick concrete bunkers. It was demolished for what is now Rivercity Brewing Company. I think that would place the picture at pre-1983 ... but I really don't remember.

^Unless the big wide building is the SouthTrust, with the Ed Ball Building in the background, instead of the BellSouth Tower. The gap in between that building and Independent Life is the current site of the BOA Tower.