Morgan Park Place

Onyte9

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Onyte9,

In the recent past, I have talked to the Lawrence Bros. (the developer) regarding Morgan Park Place. Be ready for a very fine addition to North Nashville. I don't know a lot, but I do foresee both a coffee shop and an eatery of some type in the retail mix.

It's Just Dave is correct in that the project will fill blank space, with the western portion of the project framing the southern end of Morgan Park.

WW

Well thats good to hear the ground breaking is pretty soon. I also think the addition will be great for the area. Its only a matter of time before that whole area is reclaimed. Not directed in a racial sense but more as a nice place to live and play for all races. I know many times when it comes to reclaiming a neighborhood people make it a racial thing but it my eyes if the guy next door keeps his house up, cuts his grass, and doesnt support any illegal activity I dont care what race he is. I think whats taking place in these neighborhoods is awesome.

This area is quickly being reclaimed. I choose to not limit it to the boundaries of what we often refer to as Germantown, but inclusive of the Jefferson Street corridor as well. Germantown itself is an amazing story getting more and more so as each day passes, but we can't forget the legacy of North Nashville and Jefferson Street itself. Long known as a successful commercial district with clubs hosting some of the greatest black perfomers of all time, restaurants, clean tidy neighborhoods and commercial endeavors to support all that, it fell on hard times when the interstate cut through its heart. Now, things seem to be turning around. With additions like Ireland House, Row 8.9, Hope Gardens, Werthan Lofts, great looking infill in the immediate 8th/Jefferson area, we're seeing new commercial residential developments taking shape on J Street itself. MDHA is proposing a redevelopment district for the area which help "preserve the area's history, promote its urban character and require developers to use durable building materials and conform to design guidelines" (from the Tennessean July 20). The area could experience a rebirth of "single-family homes, multi-family residences, assisted living and retirement facilities, hotels, churches, theaters and restaurants. Discouraged would be car washes, auto sales, and manufacturing/industrial.

The Bicentennial Mall, the Farmer's Market, the upcoming African American Museum, the likelihood of a new Tennessee State Museum down the road, and an increased interest in the blank slate of land between downtown and Germantown should prove to make this a wonderful area. Diversity of income levels, race, culture, etc. would be assured. I believe this is a wider area to watch than we might realize. These opportunities needn't be lost and now it seems the city is willing to help out.

Another area that will be rehabilitated are the Henry Hale Housing projects (across from Werthan Mills) that will start being torn down next month and replaced with town home style housing, as Metro has done with several of the other projects in town. This will bring the crime rate down in north Nashville considerably. There are also apartments that are going in next to Maxwell House Hotel. Does anyone know if these will be highrise or not. The project is supose to have over 200 units and the land there does not look large enough to handle a lot of smaller buildings.

I'd forgotten about the apts at Maxwell House. I don't know much about them. Guess we'll have to wait. A few floors sure wouldn't hurt. And yes, thanks for reminding me about Henry Hale. It's good to see all the plywood up on the buildings as the residents move out..

There's another condo building at 8th and Wedgewood that is going to be pretty nice. That's an area that, too, can use the boost. Woodland in Waverly is a beautiful place and with "goodness" encroaching from many sides, this building will be a good catalyst.

Another area that will be rehabilitated are the Henry Hale Housing projects (across from Werthan Mills) that will start being torn down next month and replaced with town home style housing, as Metro has done with several of the other projects in town. This will bring the crime rate down in north Nashville considerably. There are also apartments that are going in next to Maxwell House Hotel. Does anyone know if these will be highrise or not. The project is supose to have over 200 units and the land there does not look large enough to handle a lot of smaller buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't Henry Hale where the Metro officer was just shot last week? Good to hear those projects are going to be going away. Be nice to see the ones on Charlotte go too.

The Metro officer was shot at Henry Hale and they are going to be torn down, but I got my housing projects mixed up(they all look the same). Henry Hale homes are off Charlotte and 65. I think the housing authority is going to tear all down and replace them as long as the federal funds hold out. I cant remember the name of the projects across from Wherthan Mills.

Another neighborhood that comes to mind right now thats on the up and up is Sylvan Heights. Its borders are Sylvan Park, i440, and Charlotte. I lived in the area in my young teens on the 3700 block of Park ave. Then the area was drug infested and most of the houses were run down. Now days there are infill projects going up on every street and many of the homes have been renovated or are being renovated. This is one of those areas that puts a smile on my face.

I drove by there this morning and the are pulling trees down and bulldozers are moving dirt. Looks as if they have already started. This project will really be a boost to Germantown area. I was a little concerned as to whether these would be built or not, because I had not seen any movement there.

Archived