Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked at the 2012 Transit Plan..

They will be Widening Woodville Highway down to Woodville from Cap Circle.

They are Widening Crawfordville road down to the Wakulla County Line

Extending Kerry Forest Parkway to Meridian Rd.

Widening the Rest of Capital Circle to 6 lanes, (4) lanes in some areas.

Mahan Drive will be widened to I-10

Intersection Improvements in various places..

Those are some Highlights I read...

Heres the plan so you can read it for yourself.

(Right click the link as save as) Its also about 130 mb Download, so it will take a few minutes.

CRPTA 2012 Improvement Plan

Looks like the final segment of Gov. Sq. Blvd is about to be widened. They say the entire thing should be completed by Oct of '08. Anyone wanna place a bet on that?

Segment Between Blair Stone Road and Reece Park Lane - The City of Tallahassee will close Governors Square Boulevard between Blair Stone Road and Reece Park Lane to motorists and pedestrians beginning Monday, March 31, for approximately three months. The closure is taking place as part of the widening of this segment of Governors Square Boulevard to four lanes, and includes the construction of sidewalks, bicycle lanes and a landscaped median. The detour route will be clearly posted, utilizing Blair Stone Road, East Park Avenue and Reece Park Lane. Weather permitting, Governors Square Boulevard should be reopened to traffic on or around June 28, with the entire project scheduled to be completed by October of this year.

Looks like the final segment of Gov. Sq. Blvd is about to be widened. They say the entire thing should be completed by Oct of '08. Anyone wanna place a bet on that?

Segment Between Blair Stone Road and Reece Park Lane - The City of Tallahassee will close Governors Square Boulevard between Blair Stone Road and Reece Park Lane to motorists and pedestrians beginning Monday, March 31, for approximately three months. The closure is taking place as part of the widening of this segment of Governors Square Boulevard to four lanes, and includes the construction of sidewalks, bicycle lanes and a landscaped median. The detour route will be clearly posted, utilizing Blair Stone Road, East Park Avenue and Reece Park Lane. Weather permitting, Governors Square Boulevard should be reopened to traffic on or around June 28, with the entire project scheduled to be completed by October of this year.

^It's the part down and behind the monster hill/slope from Dillard's at the Disco Mall. I'm not sure what the rush is to widened this part of that road, however it's always been on the road expansion list since I moved to the area. I wonder if the out parcels for the restaurants at Gov. Marketplace (I think they have two out parcels for this over on the Sport's Authority side) need this widening to be permitted???

^It's the part down and behind the monster hill/slope from Dillard's at the Disco Mall. I'm not sure what the rush is to widened this part of that road, however it's always been on the road expansion list since I moved to the area. I wonder if the out parcels for the restaurants at Gov. Marketplace (I think they have two out parcels for this over on the Sport's Authority side) need this widening to be permitted???

I emailed Tommie Speights our local rep from FDOT.... I asked him about the Sound Barrier Walls that are being constructed on I-10..

My question was to address peoples concerns that the walls were plain and boring and to ask if the walls would receive the Stamping treatment to make them more aesthetically pleasing.

This is the response I got.

The color of the walls was part of the survey from the effected citizens. The fractured fin is an upgrade from the plain concrete walls. The Department never received a request for additional aesthetic treatment from the local government which would have required approval from the District Secretary because of increased costs.

The landscaping treatment which will be done after the construction phase will provide a buffer to the walls.

So I take from this, If we want the walls to be stamped with animals or plants to look better, we must bring it up with the Tallahassee City Commission.

^ Good job TD!

Can they be stamped after they are permanently in place? Also if they are gonna landscape them heavily, it might be just as well they didn't stamp them b/c you'd not see it anyway???

I did notice last week that the graffiti artist have already hit parts of the new walls on the north side of 10 just west of the Monroe St. exit.

^ Good job TD!

Can they be stamped after they are permanently in place? Also if they are gonna landscape them heavily, it might be just as well they didn't stamp them b/c you'd not see it anyway???

I did notice last week that the graffiti artist have already hit parts of the new walls on the north side of 10 just west of the Monroe St. exit.

Here's an opinion question I have of everyone:

Please tell us what you think is the street or corridor in the area that has the greatest need to be widened and why. Let's don't count the parts of Capital Circle that are two-lane since they are slated to be widened one day or Mahan from Dempsey Mayo to I-10 since that too is getting much attention.

For me I'd say it's West Tharpe from Ocala to Capital Circle. There's a lot dense development along that corridor and often times driving on that street can be a slow crawl. Your only options for using a major street in that area is to go down to Tennessee Street or to go way up to I-10 which only has very limited connections at Capital Circle NW or Monroe Street in that area.

So based on that, my vote would be for West Tharpe Street, even though I'd rarely use it, it is needed IMHO.

Your pick??????

Here's an opinion question I have of everyone:

Please tell us what you think is the street or corridor in the area that has the greatest need to be widened and why. Let's don't count the parts of Capital Circle that are two-lane since they are slated to be widened one day or Mahan from Dempsey Mayo to I-10 since that too is getting much attention.

For me I'd say it's West Tharpe from Ocala to Capital Circle. There's a lot dense development along that corridor and often times driving on that street can be a slow crawl. Your only options for using a major street in that area is to go down to Tennessee Street or to go way up to I-10 which only has very limited connections at Capital Circle NW or Monroe Street in that area.

So based on that, my vote would be for West Tharpe Street, even though I'd rarely use it, it is needed IMHO.

Your pick??????

Poon money is already set aside in a few years to widen that portion of tharpe from ocala out to CC.

Bradford road should not be widened, it runs through betton hills, a very pretty neighborhood... and it never will be widened.

Now the road that does need to be widened is Bannerman road up in bradforville. That road is so congested running between thomasville and meridian and servicing the killearn lakes area....

There is no money set aside to widen this road, just to have signal enhancements, and such.

TD I too have heard for years that Tharpe will be widened to 4 lanes. I'm sure it's on the schedule, but when? Hopefully soon! Also do you know if this is a State, County or City project?

Scubaboy does make a good point about the need for a multi-lane connector in the near NE area. He's right the back ups on Betton and Bradford can be terrible. I generally try to avoid that area near the rush hours. I do believe that Bradford is on the schedule to be improved w/sidewalks and such, but I don't think that includes more lanes. As far as the Betton side, that would be a tough battle since there's a lot of influence in that area. I like that neighborhood, but I would not want to live in one of the homes fronting Betton...too noisy.

TD, I too have heard/read they are only going to do signal improvements on Bannerman. Does traffic actually back up a lot on that road during rush?

Any other suggestions????

It would be wonderful if they would 4 lane Thomasville Road from Monroe, north. I know there's really not any room to do it, but the bottleneck coming to downtown every morning where it goes 2 lane is ridiculous.

Archived