Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

I want to know why the hell COT thought it was so necessary to widen the piddling 1/2 mile section of Governor's Square Blvd! What a freakin waste of money! They could have used that money toward Buck Lake, Mahan or better yet the Tharpe Street widening that was cancelled!

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ BTW, there is a ton of people & equipment working fast & furious on the portion of Orange Avenue between Blairstone & Capital Circle. I don't know this for a fact but I'm ASSuming they're trying to have it ready by August 18th when school starts back & the new elementary school in SW will be opening.

I wish something could be done with the timing of the traffic lights along North Monroe from John Knox northwards to Callaway/Megginis Arm. I get off work at 11pm at night and by the time I get to north Monroe it's about 11:15pm but all those traffic lights are still on full rush-hour cycles. My biggest gripe is with the Lakeshore light because you can't get past it from Sharer. Almost every time the red light catches you and it doesn't matter if there is no one in the turn lanes either northbound or southbound, it's still going through the complete cycle. And on those RARE ocassions when Lakeshore doesn't catch you, the light at Callaway/Megginis Arm will. Furthermore, with the price of gas being so high those lights SHOULD be timed so that traffic flows SMOOTHLY through all those intersections ESPECIALLY after 11pm. But there is no way one can make all green lights doing the speed limits. And on many nights, you'll catch the red lights at Allen, Sharer, & Lakeshore and only after being stopped at Lakeshore will you make it through Callaway/Megginis Arm without a red light catching you there. If anyone knows who needs to know about this who can actually do something, would you please pass along this complaint? I tried to find some emails addy's and wasn't successful.

Being the night owl that I am, I do a lot of driving in the late night, particularly 11:00-3:00. COT should start having all of its traffic signals flash at midnight or 1:00am until the morning. Traffic isn't heavy enough to justify normal signal times. Dade County does this to most, if not all of its signals.

Being the night owl that I am, I do a lot of driving in the late night, particularly 11:00-3:00. COT should start having all of its traffic signals flash at midnight or 1:00am until the morning. Traffic isn't heavy enough to justify normal signal times. Dade County does this to most, if not all of its signals.

• 4 weeks later...

Signs to help spread emergency news

http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../806050317/1010

"The next time there's a hurricane warning, you may see it posted on a sign on North Monroe Street or Thomasville Road."

IMO, this is a great example of how government should continue to work with the private sector in the future to help people. No new programs were created, yet a good thing is being done. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. I know they had concrete foundations already constructed to accomodate the lights.

Until recently, I took that portion of Blair Stone to work. It figures I'd get laid off, not have to drive that segment everyday, then they finally construct lights! :P

I hate to read about your unemployment jpl02. :(

Looks like the first leg of the I-10 expansion is pretty much open for business. That's the part that runs from the rest areas to Old Bainbridge. I'm still puzzled by the grass strip on one side of the barrier wall and as I feared, it is in need of mowing.

Question: What is the correct way to abbreviate Northwest? NW or Nw? I always use NW, but that doesn't mean it is correct. Reason I ask is b/c all the new interstate signs for Capital Circle Northwest(and there are a ton of them) abbreviate it as Nw and not NW. Are they doing it the correct way?

I hate to read about your unemployment jpl02. :(

Looks like the first leg of the I-10 expansion is pretty much open for business. That's the part that runs from the rest areas to Old Bainbridge. I'm still puzzled by the grass strip on one side of the barrier wall and as I feared, it is in need of mowing.

Question: What is the correct way to abbreviate Northwest? NW or Nw? I always use NW, but that doesn't mean it is correct. Reason I ask is b/c all the new interstate signs for Capital Circle Northwest(and there are a ton of them) abbreviate it as Nw and not NW. Are they doing it the correct way?

• 2 months later...

Looks like there might not be enough money for this project:

Capital Circle SW

But there seems to be tons of money for this project:

Mahan Drive Widening

I think BOTH projects are equally important and I understand that the funding for the projects comes from different sources. However I do think that CCSW is an important link in our transportation network since this widening will connect the airport to all other areas of city/county/region. I wish they could both be done soon.

On the good news side: Mahan widening may start as early as next year.......if it doesn't rain. :)

Looks like there might not be enough money for this project:

Capital Circle SW

But there seems to be tons of money for this project:

Mahan Drive Widening

I think BOTH projects are equally important and I understand that the funding for the projects comes from different sources. However I do think that CCSW is an important link in our transportation network since this widening will connect the airport to all other areas of city/county/region. I wish they could both be done soon.

On the good news side: Mahan widening may start as early as next year.......if it doesn't rain. :)

I say we finish 4-laning Mahan Drive and Capital Circle (NW and SW) and start focusing on mass transit.

A raised metro-rail system (think of Miami) is what is needed for the medians of Apalachee Parkway and

Tennessee Streets. FDOT can donate the ROW's of this strip of land. These two roads are maxed out and

a raised multi-modal system will help Tallahassee evolve into a more contemporary city.

I say we finish 4-laning Mahan Drive and Capital Circle (NW and SW) and start focusing on mass transit.

A raised metro-rail system (think of Miami) is what is needed for the medians of Apalachee Parkway and

Tennessee Streets. FDOT can donate the ROW's of this strip of land. These two roads are maxed out and

a raised multi-modal system will help Tallahassee evolve into a more contemporary city.

Capital Semi-Circle would be a great name! If they did complete a northern leg, should it go North or South of Lake Jackson? If too far north, then you run into Lake Carr and Lake Iamonia.

It would not be part of the loop, but I've often thought they should pave Orchard Pond Rd. It runs from Old Bainbridge, north of US 27 to Meridian near where Bannerman comes out. Has anyone here besides me driven that entire dirt road? However it should be noted that most of the land along Orchard Pond is owned by the Orchard Pond LLC which is run by the Phipps family.

Capital Semi-Circle would be a great name! If they did complete a northern leg, should it go North or South of Lake Jackson? If too far north, then you run into Lake Carr and Lake Iamonia.

It would not be part of the loop, but I've often thought they should pave Orchard Pond Rd. It runs from Old Bainbridge, north of US 27 to Meridian near where Bannerman comes out. Has anyone here besides me driven that entire dirt road? However it should be noted that most of the land along Orchard Pond is owned by the Orchard Pond LLC which is run by the Phipps family.

Hey bhdr, I remember you proposing this awhile back. An idea complete w/a map...cool! I think it's an excellent idea and makes tons of sense when looking at the map. I think the biggest obstacles would be first and foremost, it's logical and as we know, those ideas never work. :)

Second the environmental problems w/crossing the Lake Jackson area or problems w/cost mitigating these environmental concerns.

However I think it's a grand idea and really does link NW Tally to NE Tally.

Archived