Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

True. However, wouldn't it make more since to address all of these issues at once.

Look at how dangerous it is from students leaving campus on the east side near the administration buildings to turn left onto Adams Street going toward the downtown. That could be suicide during one of the rush hours. Then there's the whole, waiting behind the person in front of you who wants to turn left on a 1 lane road during rush hour traffic... you have to sit there, cars piling up behind you, clock ticking, until the other lane clears.

Traffic on Adams is far to heavy near FAMU for our city or state (I'm actually not sure who owns this segment) not to have done something by now.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know what they are doing on West Tennessee street in the median. Hoping it was widening, it looks to be like median modifications. Another lane is needed on that road, and with it, beautification.

TJ, you've lived in Tally for awhile. Can you tell me when the flyover was built at Thomasville and CCNE? I've heard people tell me stories of when Thomasville was a little two lane road and in the mornings backed up all the way to Velda Dairy. The thought of a 2-lane Thomasville makes me want to cry!

I attended a presentation last year at FSU by the interim director of the COT planning department.....Jack something or other. Anyhow, he explained the entire process of a road building project - from the gleam in the planner's eye, to actual completion. Basically, you or I could have a child, and let's say a road project is planned upon their birth - they could be in college before the road is under construction. Twas the story with Blair Stone Road, and look how long that took! Yikes! :shok:

Yes BlairStone took 25-30 years to build... sad story I know. But the product today is much better than I think it would have been if built 20-30 years ago.

Believe it or not... Thomasville Road was a two lane road up until the late 90s, all the way to the GA line.

The Fly-Over was built about 1998-1999-2000 at a cost of $3 or 6 Million. I get the numbers mixed up. I remember the big talk of the day was, "No one will use it".... I don't hear them saying that anymore.

Local Roads are Dangerous

Article from the Tallahassee Democrat reports an increase in Bike Related traffic incidents may be consequence of several factors including automobile driver's road rage, failure to survey the entire road, and bicyclist not follwing the rules of the road.

According to state law, bicycles are vehicles also and mus obey the rules of the road which includes stopping at traffic lights, stop signs, and using the proper side of the road.

See Article for More on this interesting Story

Yes BlairStone took 25-30 years to build... sad story I know. But the product today is much better than I think it would have been if built 20-30 years ago.

Believe it or not... Thomasville Road was a two lane road up until the late 90s, all the way to the GA line.

The Fly-Over was built about 1998-1999-2000 at a cost of $3 or 6 Million. I get the numbers mixed up. I remember the big talk of the day was, "No one will use it".... I don't hear them saying that anymore.

I've lived in Killearn Lakes since '93 and have traveled Thomasville Rd. for years. The dates sound about right and I've said the same thing for years - it's a flyover for the minority of the driving public. A large majority of the traffic in that area wants to drive south on Thomasville Rd. into downtown and the flyover solved very little (not to mention how it impacts northbound US-319 traffic and other intersecting traffic). I suspect that federal money was used for the flyover to improve southbound US-319 since they could not use federal money on a local road (Thomasville Rd.).

I am intrigued by the discussion of a flyover carrying Thomasville Rd. southbound over the whole mess in earlier comments, but don't have any specific info on that..

BTW, last week, southbound morning traffic regularly backed up from Killearny Way north past Good Shepherd Catholic Church (2+ miles). Northbound afternoon traffic regularly backed up from I-10 south almost to Hermitage (1.5 miles?).

I've lived in Killearn Lakes since '93 and have traveled Thomasville Rd. for years. The dates sound about right and I've said the same thing for years - it's a flyover for the minority of the driving public. A large majority of the traffic in that area wants to drive south on Thomasville Rd. into downtown and the flyover solved very little (not to mention how it impacts northbound US-319 traffic and other intersecting traffic). I suspect that federal money was used for the flyover to improve southbound US-319 since they could not use federal money on a local road (Thomasville Rd.).

I am intrigued by the discussion of a flyover carrying Thomasville Rd. southbound over the whole mess in earlier comments, but don't have any specific info on that..

BTW, last week, southbound morning traffic regularly backed up from Killearny Way north past Good Shepherd Catholic Church (2+ miles). Northbound afternoon traffic regularly backed up from I-10 south almost to Hermitage (1.5 miles?).

Actually, when you think about it, the flyover is for a good cause. People wanting to go from southbound Thomasville to Capital Circle NE, they don't have to wait at a traffic signal to make a left turn.

The flyover solved that issue.......but the real problem with Thomasville are the signals. Southbound Thomasville has lights at Market Street, Village Square and Timberlane, all within blocks of each other. They should have consolidated all of those streets onto a feeder that intersects Thomasville, having the need for one signal.

Northbound Thomasville has the same issues with the light. It also has the problem of having to stop to allow northbound traffic from CCNE to get on northbound Thomasville. Normally, one would think you could simply merge on to Thomasville without it having to stop (the same way you would merge onto a freeway), or coming onto Thomasville with dedicated lanes as to not interrupt the flow of Thomasville traffic. But, the problem is that there are three lanes from CCNE coming onto Thomasville, and if they came onto it with their own lanes, it would create 6 lanes of Thomasville traffic and having to narrow that down into 3, coupled with the merging and lane chaning to get to the shopping plazas, would be a nightmare.

My solution? Make that section of Thomasville like Apalachee Pkwy.........have service roads which you can exit and enter from ramps. It's not a matter of traffic, but rather the frequency of signals. I mean, Thomasville Road flys past Killearny Way all the way to Bradfordville.......because there are NO LIGHTS!

Hope I made sense of this w/o being too technical!

My solution? Make that section of Thomasville like Apalachee Pkwy.........have service roads which you can exit and enter from ramps. It's not a matter of traffic, but rather the frequency of signals. I mean, Thomasville Road flys past Killearny Way all the way to Bradfordville.......because there are NO LIGHTS!

Hope I made sense of this w/o being too technical!

Makes perfect sense, although there is that one light at Kerry Forest Parkway.

Do you think you could illustrate for us exactly what you mean when you discuss the merging of the intersecting streets that cross Thomasville Road between I-10 and the old Wal-Mart Plaza? In reading I was trying to picture what you were proposing. I know you've put alot of thought into it, I just don't have the mental capacity to organize the visual.

Thanks for not only pointing out the problems, but also thinking of a solution.

I think one of the most exciting things coming out of this area will be the flyovers from capital circle to I-10 and the possibility of having a new exit ramp there.

However, I still think there is a need to have an exit ramp between HWY 90 and Thomasville Road... there are a few candidtates that cross the interstate that I would think to be a good location but the names aren't coming to me.

Growing up I knew I always wanted there to be an exit ramp where Miccosukee Road went under I-10... I don't think it will happen because of the character of the road. But my hope is that Welaunee Blvd could create an opportunity.

Transmission Line Work Begins Friday

The City of Tallahassee's Electric Utility will begin relocating transmission line poles this weekend along Interstate 10, near the eastbound exit to Monroe Street. The work is expected to be conducted November 11-13, from 4:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., weather permitting. The City is relocating its transmission line in preparation for the Florida Department of Transportation's widening of Interstate 10.

"We're not anticipating closing off any traffic lanes, and we don't expect that any property owners near the construction will be inconvenienced by the construction or any noise," said Paul DeFrank of the City's Electric Utility.

on the topic of roads.... I hope they shrink gaines down soon to 2 lanes, and start work on the revitalization... the hotel on the corner of railroad is going up. as the first piece...

I hope thye improve traffic flow on tennesee to accomadate all the traffic from gaines when it shrinks to 2 lanes. :)

Since I-10 is being widened, does that mean that Tallahassee has arrived? I hope so! :D

A little landscaping would go a LONG way in beautifying the roads around here. I've seen design plans for Capital Circle SE, and the proposed landscaping looks really good.

I'd like to see more trees and tall scrubs planted in the median of roadways, to sort of drown out the effects of urbanization. They'd be a pain to maintain, but they do look nice. When I think of a beautful roadway, I think of the section of Centerville between Blair Stone and Capital Circle, where the median is a block wide and full of trees. That whole "canopy road" look is what I'm striving for.

u most think about driver visability with median "decorations"... when turning left, u have to see right.

I think tallahassee arrived long ago, but the growth spurt is provideing funds to increase our ability to accomidate... I have had to stop on I10 because tally exits had bakced up.

Palms are tropical... and though mostly decidious growth, the palms have been here a long time.. my parents have a huge one on thier land, and believe me, noone in my family would buy and plant a palm. It came on its own. There are a lot of sandy places between the red clay.

I dont think the impact of gaines going 2 lane has really sank in... there is no southside bypass for DT to help the East / West move. Orange will be nice but far ouuta the way, and tennessee cant handle itself, has no room to grow. The one way system, with 2 lanes of traffic, can work, but it isnt.

We dont have a freeway because....... um....

We need alot.

I agree... I wish they would designate a website that shows us excatly what's planned, what's funded, whats going on right now (because there are tons of construction projects around town that I'm unsure about) and so on... would make our talks alot easier... but I guess searching is part of the fun.

Archived