Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

I hope you're not referring to me. I personally LOVE flyovers and roads and highways, which is why my study in URP is transportation.

I'm not in favor of the flyover because it's a flyover, I'm not in favor because it's not neccessary. I think some of ya'll missed my point when I made my first post, so I'll draw an illustration.

The flyover ramp to westbound I-10 from the CCNE flyover is redundant. If people heading southbound from Thomasville Road want to get on I-10 westbound (like the present), they can stay on Thomasville and not use the flyover (see below in red)

fly1.jpg

Now, as FDOT is planning, here's the planned flyover from CCNE to I-10 WB, in blue.

fly2.jpg

Now from the looks of it, does it make sense? You'll actually be going a bit out of your way to get on I-10!

It's not that location, it's the other ones that might happen (CCNE@Mahan, CCNE @ Apalachee, and CCNW@Tennessee eventually) that people get their dander up over.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just assumed that creating muliple lanes for the "on-ramp" at it's present length would be unsafe for accelerating vehicles to merge safely on the accleration ramp and the I-10 corridorl. My thinking is that merging multiple lanes in a relatively short distance would create bottle-necking on the "on-ramp" and I-10 as well. The only way to overcome this would be to lengthen the "on-ramp" which means investing more money and time in obtaining additional right-of-way along the northern perimeter of I-10.

I will say, as an "outsider," that the above triangle of T'ville, CCNE, and Raymond Diehl/I-10 is the worst design/grouping of roads and flow of traffic that I have seen in any city in the States.

Have you ever been in Texas much in a car? Now there's some bad interchanges and side roads, but I do agree this configuration is bad too. Another awful one is Marietta Road that dumps you into I-10 in Jax just west of I-295. I almost get killed there every time I pass through.

I love flyovers and I'm glad to see us get another one plus more lanes on I-10.

Have you ever been in Texas much in a car? Now there's some bad interchanges and side roads, but I do agree this configuration is bad too. Another awful one is Marietta Road that dumps you into I-10 in Jax just west of I-295. I almost get killed there every time I pass through.

I love flyovers and I'm glad to see us get another one plus more lanes on I-10.

Where in Texas? IMO Tally could learn a thing or ten from Lone Star State cities.

Forget the flyover, what we need is a light rail going from Killearn to downtown to Sawthwood and/or Innovation park.

NO WAY!!! I would much rather see the money devoted to the widening of SE, S, and SW Capital Circle which would bring about some economic development for Southside. We don't need to continue spending money for NE Tallahassee.

Forget the flyover, what we need is a light rail going from Killearn to downtown to Sawthwood and/or Innovation park.

Maybe someday after we get developers to build denser neighborhoods, and the people that currently live there to realize the positive benefits of allowing this development to occur, and understand that the negatives that are perceived have little justification for existing.

There was an article today in the Miami Herald about the state buying a large amount of land from St. Joe for roads. One mentioned was the Red Hills Parkway. Has anyone heard of this? I found the following on Wikipedia. It would evidently run on Old Plank Road from 98 north, ending on Thomasville Road. (Proctor Road?)

Red Hills Parkway

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Red Hills Parkway is a proposed toll road in northwestern Florida, USA.

Billed as providing a hurricane evacuation route as well as an eastern bypass of Tallahassee, the route would have a northern terminus on US 319 near Bradfordville in Leon County, and a southern terminus at US 98 near Newport in Wakulla County.

There was an article today in the Miami Herald about the state buying a large amount of land from St. Joe for roads. One mentioned was the Red Hills Parkway. Has anyone heard of this? I found the following on Wikipedia. It would evidently run on Old Plank Road from 98 north, ending on Thomasville Road. (Proctor Road?)

Red Hills Parkway

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Red Hills Parkway is a proposed toll road in northwestern Florida, USA.

Billed as providing a hurricane evacuation route as well as an eastern bypass of Tallahassee, the route would have a northern terminus on US 319 near Bradfordville in Leon County, and a southern terminus at US 98 near Newport in Wakulla County.

Basically it's a way for St. Joe to sell off some land, and boost their revenues in a time when the housing market is getting soft. St. Joe get's 46 Million tax dollars (which clears out the DOT land budget and then some), and we (taxpayers) get land for some vague future road project that hasn't even been through preliminary planning yet. In the Fineout piece in the Herald, the close ties between St. Joe and the Bush admin were pointed out. This includes St. Joe owning a 50% stake in a company owned by the Governor's former business partner. According to the Herald article, the land being purchased isn't even in the right place for the new road.

If the state is buying swamp land, I might be able to make them a sweet deal. Is there any interest in a toll road from Newport to Crawfordville?

The Red Hills Parkway was planned way before the housing market went soft. But of course, JEB! is St. Joe's biotch...I thought that was evident. :)

I question why make the planned P'way go to Newport? Most of the growth in Wakulla is over by Crawfordville. Looks like they'd make it curve under South Tally and end up near C'ville or Sopchoppy or better yet their Summer Camp development in Franklin County.

I've said it before and I'll say it again since I got connections in working w/FDOT....all new major expressways in FL will be TOLL ROADS. It's the wave of the future, like it or not.

I have no problem at all with the concept of flyovers, but what we really need is a N-S express way through this city.

An interesting concept but I'm not sure if there would be enough ridership to support a N-S toll expressway, because if an expressway is built - it will probably be have to be a toll roadway.

An interesting concept but I'm not sure if there would be enough ridership to support a N-S toll expressway, because if an expressway is built - it will probably be have to be a toll roadway.

It's all about RFID. It costs nothing to make any limited access road a tollistimo. Get you a sunPass, y'all and save your confederate dollars. The south is gonna rise again.

I for one, would pay a toll if it was a reasonably quicker drive than the current roads. That being said, I doubt it would be quick considering Tally probably has the highest rate of slow drivers per capita in the country. It's like what Mayor Maddox once said:"If you build a 6-lane freeway, you'd have 6 morons driving slow right next to each other".

It's all about RFID. It costs nothing to make any limited access road a tollistimo. Get you a sunPass, y'all and save your confederate dollars. The south is gonna rise again.

Yeah, here lies the problem with Tallahassee and it's metro region, people are still using "confederate dollars" and the "South" never fell. No progress at all!! :angry:

Yeah, here lies the problem with Tallahassee and it's metro region, people are still using "confederate dollars" and the "South" never fell. No progress at all!! :angry:

As far as I can tell, the new South is rising and it's a whole lot different than the old one. The new South is multiracial, multiethnic and surpisingly progressive. And we still don't give a rats behind how y'all did it up north. If you don't like it here, fill up your car with other carpetbaggers and head back to Philladelphia or Chicago or Detroit or wherever you think life is so much better. Geesh.

As far as I can tell, the new South is rising and it's a whole lot different than the old one. The new South is multiracial, multiethnic and surpisingly progressive. And we still don't give a rats behind how y'all did it up north. If you don't like it here, fill up your car with other carpetbaggers and head back to Philladelphia or Chicago or Detroit or wherever you think life is so much better. Geesh.

Oooh okay, you were referring to the new Confederate multiracial South. :rofl:

Archived