Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

Not necessarily. New roads built with state money have to conform to the "green book" standards. These include buying enough ROW to be able to support transit. Don't you remember when Commissioner Grippa was fussing about having to buy extra ROW for future transit use when T-ville road was being updated a few years ago? I believe his exact words were "No one in Killearn will ever ride a bus."

Not sure I understand your reply because I'm in support of doing future studies for an elevated rail system along existing ROW's. Grippa may be accurate in stating that Killearnians have no interest in riding buses, but my focus is on the future of a rail system for the entire region - not just Killearn. As Tallahassee continues to grow and becomes more dense, I just don't think that buses (even with increased ridership demands) alone will be enough to solve our traffic issues in the long-term. Infact, the increasing number of buses will only add to the traffic woos, so why not think of a mass transit system that's doesn't require asphalt?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What unit where you in at Hood? I was in the Cav, hence user name.

I was at the other end of the base. 2'nd AD/4'th ID (I was there when 2AD was retired). I spent lots of time in Austin while Research was being torn up and turned into an expressway.

Not sure I understand your reply because I'm in support of doing future studies for an elevated rail system along existing ROW's. Grippa may be accurate in stating that Killearnians have no interest in riding buses, but my focus is on the future of a rail system for the entire region - not just Killearn. As Tallahassee continues to grow and becomes more dense, I just don't think that buses (even with increased ridership demands) alone will be enough to solve our traffic issues in the long-term. Infact, the increasing number of buses will only add to the traffic woos, so why not think of a mass transit system that's doesn't require asphalt?

I'm right there with you. Light rail is way cool. I believe that the San Jose/Santa Clara light rail is one of the reasons that sillycone valley is such a happening place for new technolgoy startups. A similar system linking innovation park, the new technology center on the east side, downtown, etc. could be a catalyst to growth here.

DCA can be real jerks about economic development in the capital city:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../610060331/1010

Perhaps they should focus on the urban sprawl occuring in central and south Florida. But as I indicated before Tallahassee needs to focus on innovative mass transit. Road space is already very limited and designated bus lanes will not resolve our growth issues.

Why in the hell can't the major of County Commissioner show up for public hearings concerning our growth plans?

DCA can be real jerks about economic development in the capital city:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../610060331/1010

Perhaps they should focus on the urban sprawl occurring in central and south Florida. But as I indicated before Tallahassee needs to focus on innovative mass transit. Road space is already very limited and designated bus lanes will not resolve our growth issues.

Why in the hell can't the major of County Commissioner show up for public hearings concerning our growth plans?

I read this w/great interest. The State is absolutely encouraging sprawl in our area by denying this proposal. The city center w/its State Gov. and Universities is the perfect place for higher density. If you permit more density and have a plan for mass transit, walking/biking, it will happen much quicker and become the preferred method of transportation b/c taking your car will just be too much of a hassle. Let's face it, our state is not an urban state, it's only a suburban state and w/thinking like this from DCA that will continue forever. Florida needs to stop using the ATL model (no offense to them) where you build roads and more roads and encourage urban sprawl and start looking to the West to such places as Portland, Seattle and some CA cities (not LA.) These are the places where innovative planning is occurring.

As for the roads not able to handle traffic in Tally, that too is a problem all over the State and not just in Tally. Even down South w/all their big freeways and wide roads, most to all are operating at level D or F (the worse too categories.) To give you a quick example, in 1994 Glades Road in Boca Raton was at level F from Federal Hwy. to past the Turnpike. No real road improvements have been added there since or mass transit solutions (not like Bocanites would stoop so low as to ride a bus) but anyway so they can't build higher or at more density on Glades, so you know what they've done....sure you do....they've just pushed Glades Rd deeper and deeper into the swamps and continued urban sprawl for more and more miles at low density. This is the type of development DCA is encouraging. In essence they'll approve of us bldg. out T'ville road until we meet the GA line, but they don't want us bldg. up in the downtown and around the universities. Crazy IMHO!

And as for commissioners not showing up, yeah I thought the same thing too. I also wondered if maybe they didn't go b/c some of them probably don't really understand or for that matter care about the issue. Shame on them especially Proctor since he's the chairman and just won re-election. Surely if he went he could have figured some way to pull the race card out of his a** for this denial too?

Yea, but then that area could be like our Buckhead in Atlanta!

j/k

They won't let it go that far north either. The whole thing near FSU/FAMU is just a sppedbump until the expanded multi-modal district/concurrency exception area gets fleshed out in about 12-18 months. Besides, we're still talking about 5-6 story apartments and ground floor retail/office at 20 units/acre.

^wow. Poonther are you ok?

Ignorance makes me passionate TJ and inept County Commissioners not showing up to a meeting makes make mad.

I was thinking along the lines you just said psycuda I hope you are correct and it doesn't take more than 2 years to straighten it out.

I'm very biased against DCA. I've had to go to battle w/them many times in my Planning life. They are always about correct theory, but seldom do they see past the textbook definitions and into reality and real-life situations....or at least that's what I've seen w/my personal dealings w/them.

There's a story today in the Democrat on The Proposed Red Hills Parkway.

Commissioner Bob R., you know our Commissioner that has built ALL of the infrastructure in Leon County w/his own bare hands (according to his latest commercials), has already "poo-pooed" the idea even though very little is know about the road or it's route.

Leon County Commissioner Bob Rackleff said there was very little discussion of the project in the months leading up to the vote. He said the road is a bad idea that is unrealistic because there won't be enough toll traffic to pay for the road.

FYI: they said the same thing about the Sawgrass Parkway in Western Broward, the Greenway around Orlando, and the Polk Parkway around Lakeland-Winter Haven.....all are now operating above expectations...

You got to love "Vison-less Bob!."

There's a story today in the Democrat on The Proposed Red Hills Parkway.

Commissioner Bob R., you know our Commissioner that has built ALL of the infrastructure in Leon County w/his own bare hands (according to his latest commercials), has already "poo-pooed" the idea even though very little is know about the road or it's route.

Leon County Commissioner Bob Rackleff said there was very little discussion of the project in the months leading up to the vote. He said the road is a bad idea that is unrealistic because there won't be enough toll traffic to pay for the road.

FYI: they said the same thing about the Sawgrass Parkway in Western Broward, the Greenway around Orlando, and the Polk Parkway around Lakeland-Winter Haven.....all are now operating above expectations...

You got to love "Vison-less Bob!."

I can vouch for the Polk Parkway. It is doing well.

I know we have basically agreed that it isnt possible, but it sure would make a lot more sense if the Red Hills Pkwy could cut N/S closer to the city center.

I know we have basically agreed that it isnt possible, but it sure would make a lot more sense if the Red Hills Pkwy could cut N/S closer to the city center.

I actually think it needs to loop out further east into Jefferson County... mirror SR/CR 59.

More or less... Bradfordville -> Miccosukee -> Lloyd -> Wacissa -> St Marks -> Panacea

When you're ready, I'll help you pack! :thumbsup:

I'll pay for the moving man! ;)

I actually think it needs to loop out further east into Jefferson County... mirror SR/CR 59.

More or less... Bradfordville -> Miccosukee -> Lloyd -> Wacissa -> St Marks -> Panacea

I guess I should ask if the Pkwy is meant to solely be an express route from I-10 to the coast, or is it supposed to help alleviate traffic in Tallahassee as well?

This town really is hellacious to get around during the day.

There is no entertainment here, I have lived here all my life, was born here, there is no entertainment district,

IM bored of this place.

Its sad that the people on this forum dont like me, because You would enjoy me in person,

I rather have slow growth than the vomit of suburban sprawl :sick:

I love that line!!!! :D

Insituphoto & GG you both make good and intelligent points about this proposed freeway. On the other hand we have a community leader already slamming the idea w/few details. That's a complete sign of ignorance IMHO. "I built it myself" Bob heard the words NEW, GROWTH and TOLLWAY and got his tighty-whities in a wad and feared the idea and therefore voiced his displeasure w/it. This is just another reason in a long line of them of why this man needs to go in November.

Tally D, I don't dislike you, just some of your past comments. I'm sure you are the life of the party in real life. :P

There is no entertainment here, I have lived here all my life, was born here, there is no entertainment district,

IM bored of this place.

Its sad that the people on this forum dont like me, because You would enjoy me in person,

GO back and read some of your posts. I would suggest you try constructive criticism, it will get you a lot further, and people will actually respect what you have to say. Otherwise, you look childish. You work in govt, right? That means you must have some level of maturity...act like it.

I love that line!!!! :D

Insituphoto & GG you both make good and intelligent points about this proposed freeway. On the other hand we have a community leader already slamming the idea w/few details. That's a complete sign of ignorance IMHO. "I built it myself" Bob heard the words NEW, GROWTH and TOLLWAY and got his tighty-whities in a wad and feared the idea and therefore voiced his displeasure w/it. This is just another reason in a long line of them of why this man needs to go in November.

Rackleff probably equates in his mind that if people use an expressway, than it will negatively effect local business. I dont think that people using the freeway have local business on their mind. Probably more something like get from point 'A' to point 'B' ASAP.

Rackleff probably equates in his mind that if people use an expressway, than it will negatively effect local business. I dont think that people using the freeway have local business on their mind. Probably more something like get from point 'A' to point 'B' ASAP.

Hmm still sounds like ignorance and fear to me. :)

yep...if it walks like a duck and qwacks like a duck...

(is that even how you spell qwack? Theres a word you dont use often haha)

Spell Checker says it's QUACK. I have to use spell checker for everything, otherwise my post and emails would all look like hieroglyphics(definite spell check there.)

IM bored of this place.

NO it's not sad because I do like you. You are correct, there ain't a damn thing to do here but resturants, movies and an occasional football game. If we want to keep some of our young intellectuals in the area then we need to start diversifying our entertainment as well as our economy.

No I don't want Tallahassee to be like South Florida, but we do deserve a lot more than what we have at this time. Times are a changing and I do like (controllable) growth and so do you TallahasseeDowntown, because "no growth" is not a good thing. State government is fine for the 'good ole boys and girls' who have cushion jobs and live in cushion neighborhoods, but my background is business and management information systems and so on. I live for the day when Tallahassee is able to compete on an national scale for high paying corporate jobs and research facilities - but we ain't there yet!

Why should you pack up and leave? Let those who don't want to see a bigger more vibrant Tallahassee take your advise and sail into the sunset because their way of thinking does not promote economic nor cultural diversity.

I live for the day when Tallahassee is able to compete on an national scale for high paying corporate jobs and research facilities - but we ain't there yet!

This will never happen. Call it negativity, call it ignorance, but what evidence exists that would support this EVER happening? I'm not calling you out seminole, it's just a view that far to many people share and it's a very hollow perspective. I get hammered here for saying the community leadership is inept, yet every week another decision or article presents itself to help prove my hypothesis.

Archived