Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its important for the public to understand that responsible urban growth doesn't have the strong adverse affects on traffic. Consider this...

A person living downtown, walks, rides bus, rides bike to work, school, barbershop, doctor, store...etc. If in the rare occasion a person lives downtown and works on the outskirts of town, their impact on traffic is still not significant because they are traveling against the rush, not toward it.

Yeah I read today's Democrat article about traffic. The whole time I read the article, I kept thinking that the true solution to this problem would be AFFORDABLE urban core infill housing at medium and high density.

To be honest, I never really think about Tally having too much traffic problems because one I've lived in much larger places and our traffic is no where near approaching those levels and second (the main reason) is because I live downtown. Everything is close to me that I need and want and if I have to venture out to the hinterlands, I am usually going the reserve way that the heavy flow of traffic is going.

I understand that I have a "let them eat cake" attitude about this, but I don't feel sorry for those moving out to say Wakulla County and then complaining about how long it takes them to get to work. DUH, if you move 30 miles out, there's gonna be traffic getting into town. It's the price you pay, get use to it. Please don't expect me (the inner city dweller) to want to pave "kingdom come" and all its natural beauty so you can drive 50 miles one way from your far away home, to little "bobby's" school and then to work. If you hate traffic so much, you should have thought about that before you bought that house out there.

You know what their response will be? "It's cheaper to live in Wakulla County than in Tallahassee" They need to be pimpslapped for that, it's ridiculous. You complain about how long it takes you to get to work, yet you live in Sopchoppy by your own choice, so shove your complaints where the sun don't shine. I'd much rather stay in Tallahassee, where i'll be right next to everything. At most, you would have to travel 15 minutes to get from one side of town to the other, depending on traffic.

You know what their response will be? "It's cheaper to live in Wakulla County than in Tallahassee" They need to be pimpslapped for that, it's ridiculous. You complain about how long it takes you to get to work, yet you live in Sopchoppy by your own choice, so shove your complaints where the sun don't shine. I'd much rather stay in Tallahassee, where i'll be right next to everything. At most, you would have to travel 15 minutes to get from one side of town to the other, depending on traffic.

Well I don't know about that 15 minutes thing... more like 30, but your point is well taken. Those who complain about the long commute to work live the farthest away. I love it when I see someone taking the bus to work or riding a bike. I've done it myself and it feels good to know I'm not contributing to the pollution, and congestion.

• 2 weeks later...

The New I-10 interchange at Thomasville Road/Capital Circle

untitled1.jpg

US 319/SR 61(Thomasville Road)

The design for this interchange is complex due to the proximity of an elevated Capital Circle NE to an at-grade Thomasville Road in the same general vicinity along I-10. The following improvements are being designed for this interchange:

• The existing westbound I-10 exit ramp which currently passes under Capital Circle NE and connects directly to Thomasville Road will be widened to two (2) lanes, prior to Capital Circle NE. These lanes will split: a new three (3) lane ramp will connect directly with Capital Circle NE at a signalized intersection; while a single ramp will continue to Thomasville Road.

• A new westbound I-10 entrance ramp will be developed at Capital Circle NE. This ramp will consist of three (3) lanes and will cross over the westbound I-10 exit ramp and Thomasville Road on a new bridge structure. This ramp merge with the westbound I-10 entrance ramp from southbound Thomasville Road and provide a single merge point on I-10.

• The north leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate four (4) through lanes in the north direction and six (6) lanes in the southbound direction. These six (6) lanes will be split between through movements and right-turn lanes to access I-10 westbound. The existing Killearn Center Boulevard slip ramp to Capital Circle NE and the bridge over I-10 will be widened to accommodate the increased capacity on Capital Circle Northeast.

• The south leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate three (3) through lanes in the southbound direction and five lanes (5) in the northbound direction (three (3) through and dual left to I-10 westbound). The Capital Circle NE bridge over I-10 will also be widened.

• The eastbound approach at Raymond Diehl Road and Capital Circle NE will include an additional right turn lane to Capital Circle NE. To avoid right-of-way acquisition in this area, the intersection will be shifted 12 feet to the north. Additionally, the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from Raymond Diehl Road will be widened to two (2) lanes.

• The existing eastbound I-10 exit ramp at Thomasville Road will be widened to three (3) lanes, the inside lane will split off to become a two (2) lane ramp bridge over Thomasville Road and will then turn south to intersect with Raymond Diehl Road. The outside two (2) lanes will increase to four (4) lanes and intersect with Thomasville Road. Of these, a triple left-turn will be developed for the northbound Thomasville Road movement while the fourth lane will become a right-turn to southbound Thomasville Road.

• Thomasville Road will be widened to ten (10) lanes within the limits of the ramp terminal intersection at I-10. The five (5) southbound lanes on Thomasville Road will have three (3) through lanes and two (2) left-turn lanes to eastbound Raymond Diehl Road. Northbound Thomasville Road will have four (4) through lanes and one (1) left turn lane.

• The existing westbound I-10 entrance ramp will include a continuous right-turn lane from southbound Thomasville Road. A single left-turn lane from northbound Thomasville Road will merge with the continuous entrance ramp. This lane will merge with the new entrance ramp from Capital Circle, and continue onto I-10 westbound.

• Bicycle and pedestrian facilities are present in this interchange location and those facilities will be reconstructed with the new interchange design.

I've known about that project for a long time. That's one messed up interchange and I'm glad they're fixing it.

My gripe is with Raymond Diehle Road. It should not be used as an entrance to I-10. They need to seperate Raymond Diehle and have real, acutal dedicated ramps to get on I-10. I would have also liked to see an onramp to eastbound I-10 from Capital Circle NE, instead of having to make a left turn onto Raymond Diehle to access the ramp. In other words, create the braided ramps on the southside of I-10 interchange just like they're doing on the north side.

There is one better alternative to the design also. That interchange in transportation-speak is called a diamond interchange. It requires two signals, as you can see in the diagram. There is an interchange called a Single Urban Point Interchange, or SPUI for short, that is just like a diamond, but only has ONE signal. Here is a link describing a SPUI. On pages 2 and 3 are diagrams.

You can probably skip the rest since it's most likely too technical for most people. But realistically speaking, having an interchange with only ONE signal makes it easier on traffic, rather than have to sit through TWO signals which are often un-synchronized. The modifications required to make a diamond into a SPUI are pretty simple and not that costly at all.

While on the topic of interchanges, has there been any interest in building interchanges at certain intersections that are cronically congested? I'm thinking somewhere along the line of Tennessee and Monroe, which is in the middle of the city and all approaches have numerous traffic lights (about one each block). A simple interchange, such as a diamond or SPUI could help the intersection. As far as cost and ROW, there would be quite a few business relocations. But considering that these are surface streets, and that there are no freeways anywhere close to downtown, something should be done.

When I picture going the Meridian route... it seems like an endless journey. How is is possible to cover news as well as one possibly can with a studio in such a remote location. They need to move further in. What a commute.

In response to TJ's inquiry...A little history/insight on WCTV & why their studios are out on Hwy 12...50 years ago when John H. Phipps & his family wanted to start a television station in this area he couldn't get a license from the FCC for Tallahassee but he could one for Thomasville, GA. Since his family owned thousands of acres of land up Meridian Road between Tallahassee & Thomasville & over to Old Bainbridge Road & out towards Concord & Coon Bottom (Ayavalla Plantation) it wasn't a big deal to put the station in Thomasville & still have enough signal strength to reach parts of Tallahassee. A few years later he won FCC approval to put a station in Tallahassee & he built the studios on North Monroe (Now the El Chico). Years later he gained approval for a stronger broadcast signal & permission to cover both Thomasville & Tallahassee with that same channel & a stronger signal so he built a new studio & tower between the 2 towns up near the State line on Hwy 12. Knowing he was in the middle of nowhere, he re-opened a news bureau facilty in Thomasville & built a smaller news bureau building in Tallahassee next to the original main studios on North Monroe. Over time, he gained approval for yet an even stronger broadcast signal, a taller tower & the rights to cover Valdosta, GA. This is when he moved the new & stronger main transmitter site to Climax, GA & built a 2,000 ft broadcast tower but he kept the studios & admin offices on Hwy 12 & used microwave links between the studio, news bureaus & the main transmitter. Now jump to 1996...the John H. Phipps has passed away & the Phipps family sold WCTV's license, along with a station license in Knoxville, TN & one in West Palm Beach, FL to Gray Television of Atlanta. The Phipps family retained ownership of all the real estate & Gray has been leasing the facilities from them since 1996. Looking to own rather than lease, Gray Television purchased the former property & tower of WTXL on Thomasville Road across from Chiles High & was planning to move their studios there but they ran into zoning/permitting issues with constructing a studio the size they had planned on. Junp to today...they have now purchased the old Florida News Channel facility (originally a movie theater complex) on Halstead Blvd off of Cap Circle NE & are in the process of renovating it into their new studios. With the advent of digital TV, they needed to be closer into town anyway for the digital signal to reach the majority of Tallahassee. Hopefully the new studios will bring better sound & picture quality & a more professional newscast. Not sure what the Phipps family will do with the building on Hwy 12 or the smaller news bureau buildings they still own in Tallahassee & Thomasville. By the way, after selling the TV stations to Gray, they diversified into banking (Premier Bank), Aircraft Operations & Sales (Flightline Group) & Real Estate Development thoughout Tallahasse & down along the coast at St. George Island Plantation as well as continuing to operate a hunting preserve & tree farming operation on what remains of Ayavalla Plantation.

Back to roads....Does anyone know what the long range plans are for "Dick Mitchell Blvd" by the new Sam's Club? It just ends right there for now but looks as though it will push on through someday.

Same thing with the nice wide road that's runs beside the Lowe's on Capital Circle NW @ I-10....where will that eventually lead to?

Back to roads....Does anyone know what the long range plans are for "Dick Mitchell Blvd" by the new Sam's Club? It just ends right there for now but looks as though it will push on through someday.

Same thing with the nice wide road that's runs beside the Lowe's on Capital Circle NW @ I-10....where will that eventually lead to?

also by walmart on thomasville rd...

Hey Glenn,

Unfortunately I've found no planned changes for either of the two roads you listed.

I'll continue to check around. But here's a map of the NW Tallahassee roads.

TJ - There was no attachment or link on your last post....at least that I could see. :unsure:

• 5 months later...

I know we haven't talked about it in a while, but is there any word on when the work will really begin on I-10 through Tallahassee. I think we've been very patient with this.

I requested an update from Tommie Speights - will let you know what he says.

• 2 weeks later...

WCTV News reported tonight that the City Commission was thinking of changing Call Street & Virginia Street from one-way to two-way in December. The report said these roads were being under-utilized as one-way streets & by making them two-way it would relieve congestion from other roads. They also said this change should coincide with the opening of FSU's new parking garage.

I'm not downtown everyday like some of you are so I'm not sure if is this a good or bad decision. On the surface, I think it sounds like a good decision.

Archived