Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

WCTV News reported tonight that the City Commission was thinking of changing Call Street & Virginia Street from one-way to two-way in December. The report said these roads were being under-utilized as one-way streets & by making them two-way it would relieve congestion from other roads. They also said this change should coincide with the opening of FSU's new parking garage.

I'm not downtown everyday like some of you are so I'm not sure if is this a good or bad decision. On the surface, I think it sounds like a good decision.

From where to where will they be two-way streets? That plays an important factor.

I think they are underutilized as one-way streets. The bulk of the traffic they carry is strictly during rush hour. It may be a good idea. As someone who lives on Virginia Street, I support anything that slows traffic on it, instead of people using it as their personal one-way speedway.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Tallahassee Democrat:

Tallahassee I-10 Widening to begin Next Month!

4 Major interchange improvements, new exit at Capital Circle NE, and storm water ponds all planned.

:yahoo:

TJ link me to the story, i cant find it anywhere on Tallahassee.com

Dont be so angry tj, you bring upon yourself the negative feelings people have for you, by the things you have said. Im not going to pretend I am perfect, because i have said some stupid things in the past, but I try to use this board to get info, and I repsonded to you, because of what u said to monticello.

Dont be so angry tj, you bring upon yourself the negative feelings people have for you, by the things you have said. Im not going to pretend I am perfect, because i have said some stupid things in the past, but I try to use this board to get info, and I repsonded to you, because of what u said to monticello.

Bring it on himself? WTF are you talking about? These are DISCUSSION boards. Disagree w/his opinions and tell him why, but don't make it personal

Bottom line, keep it civil and on the topic. We've all got a place here.

And when you DEMAND a link from TJ, try sayin' please...that may get you what are looking forward.

Bring it on himself? WTF are you talking about? These are DISCUSSION boards. Disagree w/his opinions and tell him why, but don't make it personal

Bottom line, keep it civil and on the topic. We've all got a place here.

And when you DEMAND a link from TJ, try sayin' please...that may get you what are looking forward.

I think he was referring to a different thread, where TJ may or may not have been a little short with someone. Now, I think we all have it figured out that TD is a younger member of the board, and we should bear that in mind when we respond to his posts, all of us. Sure, he gets a bit annoying at times, so just ignore it when he does, but at least he is interested in the topics at hand.

I think he was referring to a different thread, where TJ may or may not have been a little short with someone. Now, I think we all have it figured out that TD is a younger member of the board, and we should bear that in mind when we respond to his posts, all of us. Sure, he gets a bit annoying at times, so just ignore it when he does, but at least he is interested in the topics at hand.

You're correct. I was indeed responding to another thread when TD (formerly known as Preludesh97, which BTW is a violation of Urbanplanet rules) got personal simply because he didn't agree with my comments about Tallahassee not leaving any of her people behind as she moves forward. As Poonther stated, age is no excuse for such conduct., which is likely the abuse of being able to hide comments behind his online identity and multiple screen names.

My only request is if you can't stand me so much, don't expect me to respect any request you make of me.

Back to roads... Welaunee Blvd is coming along quite nicely as well! :D

It's about to start:

I-10 Widening

It all sounds good. Look at the bottom of the article for details of the 3 segments. The only part I find questionable is that they plan to have it done in 2 to 2.5 years. Yeah right.............. :lol:

Why does FDOT feel the need to create a ramp to westbound I-10 from the flyover?! If people headed southbound from Killearn want to get on I-10, why not just stay straight on Thomasville Road instead of veering off to the flyover? It makes no sense to have redundant ramps. If congestion is a problem with the existing westbound on ramp, they simply need to widen it. It's all a process of making a simple right turn. That's FDOT and their many bright ideas <_<

Why does FDOT feel the need to create a ramp to westbound I-10 from the flyover?! If people headed southbound from Killearn want to get on I-10, why not just stay straight on Thomasville Road instead of veering off to the flyover? It makes no sense to have redundant ramps. If congestion is a problem with the existing westbound on ramp, they simply need to widen it. It's all a process of making a simple right turn. That's FDOT and their many bright ideas <_<

It maybe because there isn't enough distance between the exit point off of Thomasville Road and the point of convergence at I-10 to allow widening of the westbound on ramp. The only way to increase the distance (without further exacerbating an already congested Thomasville/Capital Circle roadway) is by constructing a flyover. It should certainly add some more interest to an already busy intersection.

I was out east Mahan for the first time in awhile yesterday. It's very sad to see that the DOT is allowing developers to rip out all those beautiful trees that Fred Mahan planted in the 40's. The latest outrage is some cheezy church that is between the interstate and Crump that tore out 1/4 mile of those crepe myrtles, palms and spruce that Fred planted in order to make a turn lane. You'd think that churchfolk would be more into celebrating the Almighty's creation instead of tearing it up. It was very sad to see.

It seems to me that more fly overs are needed and not just at Thomasville Rd area. Something needs to be doen so that traffic keeps flowing. There is not any room to widen the road more than it is now with out knocking down some gas stations. If they build fly over at least the traffic should flow without all the back ups. IMO. Maybe I am wrong but that is the way I see it.

For the politicians, it's the money that these cost. For the locals, it's the realization that Tallahassee is not the small town that they came to, so they want to resist anything that would seem "big city".

So true about some Tallahasseans' resistance to the "big city" image these flyovers tend to bring. I honestly think that type of perception is rather sad. But an even bigger fear (of some) is our downtown development potential (laughter). So sad!

Why do flyovers strike such fear in Tallahasseeans?

I hope you're not referring to me. I personally LOVE flyovers and roads and highways, which is why my study in URP is transportation.

I'm not in favor of the flyover because it's a flyover, I'm not in favor because it's not neccessary. I think some of ya'll missed my point when I made my first post, so I'll draw an illustration.

The flyover ramp to westbound I-10 from the CCNE flyover is redundant. If people heading southbound from Thomasville Road want to get on I-10 westbound (like the present), they can stay on Thomasville and not use the flyover (see below in red)

fly1.jpg

Now, as FDOT is planning, here's the planned flyover from CCNE to I-10 WB, in blue.

fly2.jpg

Now from the looks of it, does it make sense? You'll actually be going a bit out of your way to get on I-10!

Archived