Myrtle Square's Future

GSP Tiger

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will greatly be missed when the bulldozers move in and eal the damage.

Anything besides a Walmart Supercenter would be great. I think a Super Target would be interesting to have, but Myrtle Square should be reborn as a lifestyle center with some varierty. REI, Barnes & Noble or Borders, Petsmart or Petco, and an office supply chain are some stores that could fit there.

I wonder what that clock looked like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The clock was comprised of the numerals arranged on the ceiling in the main concourse and a set of concentric circles made up of 60 globes inside the the circle of numerals. The time was determined by looking a which number and the lit globes.

• 2 weeks later...

This mall's closure is just wild to me. When I lived in Wilmington from '99 to '02 I visited the mall a few times. My last visit to the mall was in the summer of '03, my friends and I went to the Peebles there b/c they needed a change of clothes after going to the beach. We walked around the mall and it seemed kind of old but quite healthy. I'm assuming the mass exodus occured shortly after that. I loved that clock too, it was something that made the mall different....

Indeed. The clock you saw was a modified version of the original mall clock. The Mall underwent a major expansion and upgrade around '88-89 or so. During this expansion, which jumped the mall from that mid-70s mallesque look to 1990s modern, they did an overhaul of the clock. I was glad they kept it even though they changed almost everything else inside.

What happened to the mall?  It always seemed to be in a pretty good location to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coastal Grand happened...

Anyway, remember inside Myrtle Square Mall their enterance to Belk, the Belk sign was that hanging cube, wasn't it (am i thinking of the right mall)?? I thought that was really cool how they had it on all 4 sides

• 3 weeks later...

logosmall.gif

There's a website for Myrtle Square that I'm starting at www.myrtlesquare.portroad.com. Any photos or memories of the mall would be appreciated, and you can send them to [email protected]. Thanks! Photos would be appreciated, as well.

Anyone like Myrtle Square over Coastal Grand? B&C was stupid to build three malls (Myrtle Square, Coastal Grand, Broadway at the Beach) within a radius of two miles from Myrtle Square Mall. B&C could've redeveloped Myrtle Square. Part of the problem, I guess, is that the mall was in a lousy condition, and B&C wanted to build a new one in its place. At least B&C will demolish this mall instead of letting it decay for 20 years. The reason? The property that it sits on is worth a lot of money, maybe too much for the city of Myrtle Beach to expand the convention center.

I also don't like Coastal Grand because they destroyed acres and acres of wetlands and forests to do it instead of using an existing mall location. Hello?

Archived