Colonial Mall

GSP Tiger

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been there, it wasn't anything big or special, I went last spring and the Kmart had closed and the Bass Pro Shops was under construction... they had 2 Belks, Penney and a movie theater I think. I did buy something at the american eagle there though lol.

I thought Walmart was "Macy's for rednecks and sketchy people."  Not just rednecks, but I think Bass Pro Shops is for everyone that have some interest for outdoor life and sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're ight on the last part, there is something for everyone at Bass Pro, but it is a little more upscale than Wal-Mart which is why I referred to it as "Macy's..."

I see Wal-Mart as the new Sears. Sears, sadly, is the new Montgomery Ward.

I see Wal-Mart as the new Sears.  Sears, sadly, is the new Montgomery Ward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Target the new Wal-Mart?

I hope that Sears does not fade away anytime soon. What would the world be like without Bob Vila and Craftsman tools? I see its partner, Kmart, fading away first. Their upstate SC stores are not faring that well.

Is Target the new Wal-Mart? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. How'd you know? :lol:

I hope that Sears does not fade away anytime soon.  What would the world be like without Bob Vila and Craftsman tools?  I see its partner, Kmart, fading away first.  Their upstate SC stores are not faring that well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kmart will be gone soon. The brand is too tarnished to be saved. As for Sears, I hope that Sears Essentials and Sears Grand will be the concepts to keep them from becoming a retail relic.

One thing Sears is doing wrong with Sears Essentials so far is sticking them in old, slightly-remodeled Kmarts. i've herd mixed results on what customers think so far of this, but it's not a great log term strategy, as most Kmart stores are more ragged out than Sears stores

Yes.  How'd you know? :lol:

Target is the next in discount deparment stores to consider. They may be expanding rapidly as Walmart, but I think their stores are much better. I'm hoping to see more stores in South Carolina soon.

Is Sears Holdings suppose to be building new freestanding locations for their Sears Essentials stores?

Target is the next in discount deparment stores to consider.  They may be expanding rapidly as Walmart, but I think their stores are much better.  I'm hoping to see more stores in South Carolina soon.

Is Sears Holdings suppose to be building new freestanding locations for their Sears Essentials stores?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I figure Target will add SC stores in the Upstate, Midlands, Charleston and Myrtle Beach areas, though I'm not sure about the rest of the state. Florence is a good posiblity, though.

The word from Sears Holdings is that once they get the kinks worked out of Sears Essentials they will open some in places that aren't former Kmarts. I hope they hurry up. A gussied up Kmart won't help the company out much in the eyes of the averge consumer.

I wish Target well in South Carolina. Much potential here for them they already have.

Why fix something that is beyond repair? That is what Kmart is. Walking into one of their stores is like going to hell. They have nothing you need, the aisles are usually dark, they do not list prices of their items, their service is horrible beyond recognition, their stores are very old and deteriorating, and are not worth it before or after the Sears merger. Walmart is already following Kmart's path towards combustion.

Target is the next in discount deparment stores to consider.  They may be expanding rapidly as Walmart, but I think their stores are much better.  I'm hoping to see more stores in South Carolina soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I would gladly go to Target if it were more convenient.

Kmart's not beyond repair, but they've simply mined as much as they can out of their shabby old stores.

Some new or substantially renovated stores would help them out considerably; with new lighting, floors, walls, shelves, everything. Maybe with some self-service type features so that the staff can focus on cleaning and stocking the place regularally (which would help them even if they still kept those ragged out stores)

Kmart's not beyond repair, but they've simply mined as much as they can out of their shabby old stores. 

Some new or substantially renovated stores would help them out considerably; with new lighting, floors, walls, shelves, everything.  Maybe with some self-service type features so that the staff can focus on cleaning and stocking the place regularally (which would help them even if they still kept those ragged out stores)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, not all Kmarts are dark and gloomy

Kmarts are not all bad, but I find their stores to be disorganized and difficult to find what you need- though many times they seem to not have it. That makes more of an impression than anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. That impression stays with you for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't see that Sears is hurting. I mean they seem to be at alot of the decent malls around, even the new ones. The only Sears that I've heard of in NC closing, I mean actually closing and not just hopping down the road, is Southpark, although I'm sure that there are probably a few others. Maybe they are just hurting saleswise but not so badly that the "going out of business" sales start....

Btw the last time I went to that mall was when K-Mart was still there...how's it faring against the new mall built down the highway? Is it still healthy or suffering?

I honestly don't see that Sears is hurting. I mean they seem to be at alot of the decent malls around, even the new ones. The only Sears that I've heard of in NC closing, I mean actually closing and not just hopping down the road, is Southpark, although I'm sure that there are probably a few others. Maybe they are just hurting saleswise but not so badly that the "going out of business" sales start....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sears overall is in decent shape financially and sales-wise, but the problem is that it's not growing. It's more or less holding its own and slipping ever so slightly, with little chance of reversing the trend without major surgery or a miracle.

Archived