Houston with Love

HoustonTexan

Some people already know a great deal about Houston. But, for the people who don't know about Houston, I like to share some photos of the city.

First, Uptown Houston...

Uptown Houston is the 14th largest business center in the U.S. and compares in size to the downtowns of Los Angeles, Atlanta and Denver.

housy_b1a.jpg

photo1.jpg

uptown_9.jpg

Uptown2.jpg

UL_area6.jpg

Uptown1.jpg

villa.jpg

uptown_christmas_lights.jpg

CRW_5795.jpg

cp_eiffel_cower.jpg

cp_four_seasons.jpg

top_image.jpg

original.jpg

hr1363961-16.jpg

And now, Downtown Houston...

Houston is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas. Houston also has the 3rd best Skyline in the U.S. today (trailing only New York and Chicago).

288_view_of_downtown_A_best_20-july-2001_lres.jpg

HoustonSkyline.jpg

downtown-night-500.jpg

24485230.jpg

downtownPath.sized.jpg

14.jpg

toyota_center.jpg

blueAquarium.sized.jpg

Finally, Texas Medical Center...

With the City Builder Award, we recognize the extraordinary vision, generosity and tenacity that have built the 42 member institutions of the Texas Medical Center into the world's largest medical center and Houston's largest single-site employer.

jpmtmcc2.jpg

TMC_w_labels.jpg

9b16b153.jpg

Texas_Medical_Center.jpg

hr1308353-9.jpg

37781947.jpg

37781957.jpg

hr1112659-15.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pics. I love Houston. I visit often. It's absolutely amazing to me how much open land there is remaining to be developed in Houston (even in the City). We have none left in New Orleans. All future development in New Orleans will have to go skyward. We are flat out of land. I'll be in Houston for Christmas. We go every Christmas season for a weekend and spend lots of $$$ at the Galleria and stay at the Westin. Always a nice time.

Houston's downtown skyline couldn't be more beautiful... It is as picturesque as any downtown in the U.S. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder - downtown Houston is definitely in the ranks of NYC and Chicago and blows LA out of the water. The view looking south at downtown from I-45 is the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming Soon 'Houston Pavilions' to Downtown Houston. Construction starts this Fall...

Pavilions22.jpg

Pavilions12.jpg

HoustonPavilions2.jpg

HoustonPavilions1.jpg

New Kirby Condos Rendering...

kirby.jpg

Houston's own 'High Fashion Home Retail Store.' Coming soon in Midtown...

ao2uyt.jpg

A new mixed-use project in downtown Houston at Hermann Park. 25,000sf of retail space, with 800 residential units in two towers...

almeda@binzrendering.jpg

THE NEW ASTRODOME! Financing for a $450 million project that would transform the Reliant Astrodome into a 1,200-room convention hotel with a winding indoor waterway. The developer's proposal calls for nine acres of the Astrodome's interior to be reserved for trees, walkways, mill wheels and the waterway, which would be plied by tourist boats similar to the ones on San Antonio's River Walk.

Astrodome Redevelopment's renderings show banks of buildings, some rising eight to 12 stories, along the walls of the Dome. The interior would include retail stores, nightclubs, restaurants and possibly a performing arts stage.

Here is a rendering inside of the new ASTRODOME...

astrodome.jpg

I've watched the Town Center development from the start, since the "Riverwalk" was a drainage ditch and the mall was a pile of dirt behind some trees.

I'm very impressed with what they've done, especially in the past couple of years. I was last there in November, and none of what's in these pictures was up yet.

The original idea was to make this like San Antonio's Riverwalk. I was always very cynnical towards that since it's neither historic, nor comfortable to take extended walks around, nor does it or will it ever offer the entertainment opportunities like they have in San Antonio.

The thing that bugs me about The Woodlands, and even this area, is the car-centric design. The Woodlands was originally designed with New Urbanism in mind, where people are right next to their workplaces and shopping areas, and can bike or even walk for their commute. This idea was scrapped long ago, though.

My dad, who still lives in The Woodlands, talks about this place constantly. I understand that they have a Cheesecake Factory. That, in itself, impresses me a lot. I'll be back there for Christmas and I'll make sure to take a walk around.

Houston will be my next vacation spot. I didn't know that Houston was that nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beleive me, Showtime. You'll not the only one that be surprised how nice Houston really is. People listens to stereotypes about our city, and then they come here on a vacation and find it's totally different.

Archived