Winn Dixie bidding deadline passes quietly

mediamongrel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of these stores have had bids and the ones that havent remained without a single offer.  These will in all likelyhood be closing.  I haven't heard anything since the deadline yesterday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there was a statement on winn dixie's website, i posted a link in the other thread but there wasn't any "new" information per se

The list has been updated to identify the 102 stores are to be sold. I have noticed two stores in western North Carolina, Forest City's Winn Dixie and Waynesville's Winn Dixie Marketplace, are among them. I'm wondering if Bi-Lo and/or Ingle's has inquired for these stores. Excluding Walmart, they are western North Carolina's top two supermarkets.

It looks like several chains have decided to purchase key locations across the South. Here's a quote from an article today in the Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville, FL).

The buyers include Food Lion, which agreed to pay $1.4 million plus inventory costs to buy the Winn-Dixie store in Baxley, Ga., and five others in North Carolina.

Publix Super Markets Inc. agreed to pay $300,000 to buy stores in Clearwater and in Atlanta and Conyers, Ga.

Even Wal-Mart Stores Inc. got into the act by agreeing to buy a store in Naples for $2.05 million. Many analysts say competition from Wal-Mart, which has increased its grocery presence in the Southeast, was a major factor driving Winn-Dixie into Chapter 11.

Other winning bids included a $15.9 million bid by Harris Teeter Inc. to buy six stores in North Carolina; $9.1 million by the Bi-Lo supermarket chain to buy 21 stores in five states; and $9.5 million by Supervalue Retailers to buy 37 stores, mostly in the Atlanta stores

Full Article:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19293591.shtml

Yep, you cannot complain about Walmart. Just go on in, buy their deadly contaminated foods for dirt cheap, receive no service from their associates who are illegal immigrants, wait for hours in three out of 32 registers because no one does not want to work below minimum wage, and think it is a great place to shop. Ah, it is a wonder how bad the world has become with Walmart.

I understand SuperValu has regional brands across the gulf coast states, so I wonder if they will create a new brand name for the Atlanta stores.

Do we officially know which Winn Dixie and Winn Dixie Marketplace stores in North Carolina will become Bi-Lo, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion?

Whatever happened to Bi-Lo cutting costs and closing stores?  Now they bid on Winn-Dixie's?  Guess they're not in too much financial trouble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The financial trouble was up in Ahold corporate, which lead to some Bi-Lo stores closing in recent years. Bi-Lo/Bruno's new owner is committed to improving the chain as a southeastern United States supermarket leader. It will be exciting to see what Bi-Lo does in the next few years.

Yep, you cannot complain about Walmart.  Just go on in, buy their deadly  contaminated foods for dirt cheap, receive no service from their associates who are illegal immigrants, wait for hours in three out of 32 registers because no one does not want to work below minimum wage, and think it is a great place to shop.  Ah, it is a wonder how bad the world has become with Walmart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a really low blow towards Walmart...and it's employees...which are just regular folk trying to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. My husband has worked there for three years, one of which was full time when he was layed off . He is not an illegal immigrant. He does not work (nor has he ever worked) for less than minimum wage. (In fact he is a good deal above minimum wage) He has two degrees (one in accounting and one in business). They do not sell deadly contaminated foods (or we would all be dead here in this house). He gives great service to the customers that he comes in contact with, but his time is limited by having to go back through his department and clean up after folks throw things in the floor rather than putting it back where it belongs. He is registered trained and goes up when called to come...even @2 am if needed (he works 3rd shift). He only works there two nights a week now...and has seen it all. Walmart isnt the devils playground as so many think it is. It has been part of what has kept us afloat here...and will continue to God willing for a while to come.

The buyers include Food Lion, which agreed to pay $1.4 million plus inventory costs to buy the Winn-Dixie store in Baxley, Ga., and five others in North Carolina.

Publix Super Markets Inc. agreed to pay $300,000 to buy stores in Clearwater and in Atlanta and Conyers, Ga.

Even Wal-Mart Stores Inc. got into the act by agreeing to buy a store in Naples for $2.05 million. Many analysts say competition from Wal-Mart, which has increased its grocery presence in the Southeast, was a major factor driving Winn-Dixie into Chapter 11.

Other winning bids included a $15.9 million bid by Harris Teeter Inc. to buy six stores in North Carolina; $9.1 million by the Bi-Lo supermarket chain to buy 21 stores in five states; and $9.5 million by Supervalue Retailers to buy 37 stores, mostly in the Atlanta stores

Wow. So it looks like Food Lion got some stores after all.. i wonder which ones. And HT got 6, even though they wanted 9, Bi-Lo got 21.. so one more than was reported. I also hear the Granite Falls (and possibly other WD's in small towns) will become FairValue stores!

The financial trouble was up in Ahold corporate, which lead to some Bi-Lo stores closing in recent years.  Bi-Lo/Bruno's new owner is committed to improving the chain as a southeastern United States supermarket leader.  It will be exciting to see what Bi-Lo does in the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They need to fix up their exisiting stores before buying others. The one on Independence next to Best Buy, and the one near Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. both are outdated and look like crap.

They need to fix up their exisiting stores before buying others.  The one on Independence next to Best Buy, and the one near Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. both are outdated and look like crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah unfortunately a lot of their stores do seem outdated

They need to fix up their exisiting stores before buying others.  The one on Independence next to Best Buy, and the one near Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. both are outdated and look like crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget the one on Park Road, in Dilworth of all places.

I always thought Bi-Lo was a nice store until I moved to Charlotte.

From what I've been told by some WD people is that the judge has final say on who gets what stores and all that. They say a final judgement should come down around the 29th. Of course this could all be just a bunch of talk. None of those poor people have been told any kind of actual closing date. I do know for a fact that the WD in Weddington has a bid on it by H.T. and W.D. is already marking down all the store brand items(except milk,eggs,bread) by as much as 50% off.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=72520&SecID=2 here's some information on who bought 4 of the 5 Fayetteville-area Winn-Dixie stores..

"bought by a company called AWG, or Associated Wholesale Grocers. The company owns independent stores like Cash Saver, Thriftway and Country Mart."
Also This:

Kroger's Raleigh flyer reads: "Welcome Winn-Dixie Customers" :lol:

http://newsobserver.com/business/story/257...p-9013276c.html

reg-952304-584234.jpg

Too bad Kroger didn't buy any of the Winn Dixies in Charlotte.  I would love to see them return to this area!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto on that. oh, and as for McMullen Creek, i wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Big Lots!, (look at where their Matthews location is, in a similar shopping center)

Archived